Couch to 5km (C25K) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I have just finished run 3 of week 3 of the C25K podcasts and I wondered if any VB'ers had completed the full 9 week program. And if yes, are you still running?

Of course if anyone is doing the program or would like to do the program I'd love to hear from you.

CT x

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm interested in starting - I use to do a bit of running many years ago and would quite like to start again. I need to lose some weight too - I cook and eat far too much!

How are you finding the programme - 3 weeks in - is it too easy, too hard? Are you doing any other exercise as well?

The podcasts are a great idea - I just need some headphones (my kids always pinch mine!)

What is your plan once you've finished - to go onto longer distances, or to just keep up running for 30 minutes?
#3 Old 06-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I did the whole program last year. Well, after the runs were 20min +, I stopped listening to the podcasts. after completing the program, I was running 3.5 miles everyday. I really loved it. I then started training for a longer race that was 12k. I have not kept up with it as much as I would like. In fact, I am running tomorrow for the first time is a while. We will see how well I do.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I did my first run today - it made me realise how out of shape I am! I expected it to be easy...it wasn't.

I don't think it helps that I walked for 3 hours yesterday, so my legs were feeling a bit heavy and tired to start.

Onwards and upwards! The podcast (I am using the Robert Ullery one) helps a lot.
#5 Old 06-27-2011, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry for the late reply - yesterday was manic

I actually found week 2 much easier than week 1 and I have really enjoyed week 3. That said it really cranks up in week 4 so I am hopeful my enthusiasm doesn't wane.

I was never a runner so this is my first foray and so far so good. I do walk on my off days and love to hike, although that doesn't happen as often as I would like, so I am far from an athlete.

After I finish I would like to be able to incorprate running into my exercise plan and hopefully work towards a formal 5k run early next year.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#6 Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 AM
Beginner

I have so much time and respect for anyone that decides to start running.

I started in January. Not through any program or course or anything. I just put on a pair of trainers - sneakers - one day, went outside and ran.

I made it to the end of the street - about 400 yards - before my face turned red, my lungs and legs burned like the fires of Hell and felt like I needed to spew.

But, I kept running. And running. And running. The pain eventually subsided and I found I could run 5 minutes. Then 10 minutes. Then 20. Then 30.

6 months later, I have run one 5k, several 10k's, a 10-miler and a half marathon.

I've lost over 40 pounds, made lots of new friends and now have an awesome collection of medals from races I've run in.

MASSIVE respect to anyone that tries running. It's cheap, it's easy and it makes you feel awesome.

Tumblr: http://grubnutter.tumblr.com/
Twitter: 666Cookie666
Facebook: Steffen Cook
#7 Old 06-27-2011, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Sorry for the late reply - yesterday was manic

I actually found week 2 much easier than week 1 and I have really enjoyed week 3. That said it really cranks up in week 4 so I am hopeful my enthusiasm doesn't wane.

I was never a runner so this is my first foray and so far so good. I do walk on my off days and love to hike, although that doesn't happen as often as I would like, so I am far from an athlete.

After I finish I would like to be able to incorprate running into my exercise plan and hopefully work towards a formal 5k run early next year.

I'm looking forward to weeks 2 and 3 then! When I said that I used to run in the past, it was (ahem) 30 years ago - so it's been a long long time. But even then I remember that the first few weeks are the hardest, once you get into a rhythm and get reasonable cardio fitness your body just takes over, and it becomes a lot easier.

I've just joined Spark People as well to keep an eye on my eating and weight, so hopefully by the end of the year I'll be a lot fitter and be able to get back to those tiny little jeans still hanging up in my wardobe from years ago
#8 Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

I have so much time and respect for anyone that decides to start running.

I started in January. Not through any program or course or anything. I just put on a pair of trainers - sneakers - one day, went outside and ran.

I made it to the end of the street - about 400 yards - before my face turned red, my lungs and legs burned like the fires of Hell and felt like I needed to spew.

But, I kept running. And running. And running. The pain eventually subsided and I found I could run 5 minutes. Then 10 minutes. Then 20. Then 30.

6 months later, I have run one 5k, several 10k's, a 10-miler and a half marathon.

I've lost over 40 pounds, made lots of new friends and now have an awesome collection of medals from races I've run in.

MASSIVE respect to anyone that tries running. It's cheap, it's easy and it makes you feel awesome.

I hope you are really proud of yourself for what you have achieved. Full marathon next year, huh?

Can I ask - what inspired you to start, and what kept you motivated when it was really, really tough (like, on the first day )?
#9 Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Beginner

I just finished week 3 of Cto5K yesterday. I've tended to go off and on with running, since I was seventeen, but, this time, I've signed up for a half marathon in October. I know I'll be able to finish it, since I walked a marathon for charity in February, so all I'm aiming to do is run all, or, at least, most of it.

Having a goal like that, and all my runs pencilled into my diary really helps. I know if I miss one, it'll have a knock on effect, and it's easier to just get out there and run than try to deal with that. And then, once I'm out there, it's okay.

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#10 Old 06-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I really don't fancy taking part in a race or an event - so that doesn't work as motivation for me.

Losing weight and being able to walk up some high hills near where I live without almost collapsing, does!

My biggest problem is that I love experimenting with cooking, and then of course eating....so I have to work out a lot to counteract the effects of that, and I haven't been, the results of which can be seen all around my person at the moment
#11 Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 AM

I just finished the 2nd week. I was never much of a runner but my daughter just joined cross country and so I'm using her as motivation. I'm having some knee soreness but nothing too bad. I'm hoping to keep my motivation up. I feel really good and shocked that I've been able to do it so far so hopefully I'll be able to continue. It helps that our summer has been mild so far. I'm not real big on being outside in hot humid weather, let alone running in it!
#12 Old 07-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

It has been a while since I posted.

After a week off due to bad news in the family and associated commitments I have just finished Run 3 of Week 6.

5 minute fast walk warm-up, 25 minute run (or slow shuffle in my case) and another 5 minute fast walk to cool down.

It is officially the longest I have ever run for. I love that I can switch my brain off. It almost feels meditative

#13 Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I followed it during pregnancy mostly after I had to back off my miles. I also used it the first few weeks PP although I never really did any of the walking, I just jogged at an easy pace. I like it. If you are thirsty for more runnersworld.com makes free training plans based on your specific needs.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#14 Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Can anyone provide a link to the Couch to 5K program?

I'm a good swimmer but I am a terrible runner and cyclist. I'd like to do triathlons someday.
#15 Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.c25k.com/
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am definitely interested in doing this! I have been saying for quite a while that I want to start running...but I am so lazy

eta: I just downloaded the C25K app for my iTouch...I think I'll go buy good running shoes one day this week. I really want to do this, I just lack motivation!!
#16 Old 08-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

http://www.c25k.com/
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I am definitely interested in doing this! I have been saying for quite a while that I want to start running...but I am so lazy

eta: I just downloaded the C25K app for my iTouch...I think I'll go buy good running shoes one day this week. I really want to do this, I just lack motivation!!

Thanks. I actually searched for it and found it earlier, just didn't update my post.
I told my husband about it and we downloaded the iPhone app and started it this week. We just finished week 1.
#17 Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Thanks. I actually searched for it and found it earlier, just didn't update my post.
I told my husband about it and we downloaded the iPhone app and started it this week. We just finished week 1.

Sweet! Its a great plan

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#18 Old 08-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Awesome! How do you like it so far? I'm going to a running store tomorrow to buy shoes, and hopefully starting Week 1 Day 1 on Tuesday
#19 Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

It's good. It's at my level. I'm wearing a heart rate monitor too. And there's that general principle of staying in your target heart rate zone - go up to the top during runs and down to the bottom during walking. For me it's on track so far. It's 30 minutes long and I'm burning about 300 calories each time so that's about right

For a while last year I ran a mile before workouts as a warm-up. That was good and I want to get back to that. But I also want to be able to just run as my workout. I'd really like to have that flexibility of being able to workout almost anywhere.
It's funny because I'll swim a mile no problem. I love it. But run... I worry I'm going to have an asthma attack and fall over dead. It's my size - all the jiggling. Yuck.

I did Road Runners for a few months once building up to a marathon. I got up to 13 miles one day - slow sad jog - and then I just quit. I hated it. Running never gave me the clarity of mind that swimming or kickboxing gave me. It just made me tired. But with this C25K program I have more faith. The goal is shorter - much shorter - and it's about overall fitness not a freaking marathon. And this is the firt time I've ever run with headphones. I was always worried about hearing traffic or dealing with the hassle of electronics and whatnot so I never ran with music. It makes SUCH a difference! Wow.
#20 Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad you're enjoying it! And yes, running with music is a must for me too. I love adding songs to my "Workout" playlist on iTunes
Oh my goodness, 13 miles in one day!
I went to a running store yesterday to buy shoes, and did Week 1 Day 1 right away. So far so good!
#21 Old 08-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok week 2 - feels harder but I'm burning fewer calories than I did in week 1.
These chocolate chip muffins im eating right this minute don't help either.
#22 Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm starting Week 2 tomorrow!!
#23 Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Again it has ben a long time since I posted but I have kept up with the C25K plan and tomorrow am doing Run 3 of Week 9.

I have loved, loved, loved it

I did Run 2 last night and kept going when the podcast finished and ended up doing 8.11km instead of just 5km.

I still run slowly (averaging 8km per hour) but at the moment I am focused on stamina rather than speed.

I am thinking about doing the 12km run in the City to Surf marathon here on Sunday. I'll see how I go tomorrow and decide.

Happy running everyone

#24 Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Run 3 Week 9 done Friday.

12km City to Surf run done today.

I am definitely addicted

#25 Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Great job on the 12K Cyclone!! I can't even imagine running a 5K at this point
I did Week 3 Day 2 today Do you have an app that tracks your runs (like a GPS?) I want to know how far I am actually running- not so much right now, but when I am eventually running further distances.
I love it so far though! Can't wait until it's a little cooler out- running in the autumn weather will be great
#26 Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Did run 1 of week 4 yesterday and it was a tough. I had an asthma attack afterwards. Finally got my calorie expenditure back up to 300 for the session, though. Week 2-3 were low.
#27 Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Finished week 5 and feel great. Using my inhaler before the run helps tons. It worked out to be almost 2 miles of running today. So that means I'm 2/3 of the way there!

My dog likes C25K too
#28 Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I just finished Week 4 I'm excited to start Week 5 tomorrow!! I am loving this!
#29 Old 09-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I officially started this morning- I have been sporadically running and had no discipline or program for a bit now. I found this online and began at 5am
Subsequently I found this thread right now- I'm glad there are others out there doing this- its nice to have support.

I signed up for a 5k on Thanksgiving morning, and a half marathon in May (me and my sister are doing), I thought this program might kick start me into marathon training after this 5k race.

I used to be a runner (everyday- outdoor 3-10 miles) before I had kids, then I stopped. I also was having injuries.
Now that I can get to the gym in the morning, I wanted to pick it back up. I found I'm not in the same shape I used to be!

The only thing that I have trouble with is sticking with the timing. My body wants to run for longer than the minute. I feel like I want to skip 2 weeks, but I know I should ease into it more gently and stick with the program to reduce my risk of injury

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
#30 Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I signed up for a 5k on Thanksgiving morning

My husband and I plan to do a 5k on Thanksgiving day too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

The only thing that I have trouble with is sticking with the timing. My body wants to run for longer than the minute. I feel like I want to skip 2 weeks, but I know I should ease into it more gently and stick with the program to reduce my risk of injury

Easing into it might be a good idea, but if you feel like you want to run more you might just go for it! I feel like it was good to start at the beginning but I really don't think it's necessary.

What were your injuries before?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page