VeggieBoards banner

The Running Thread

62K views 1K replies 113 participants last post by  Auxin 
#1 ·
There are quite a few running threads dotted about but I thought it would be cool to consolidate all running chat into one thread.

So er...let's talk running! How was your last run? Where will you go for your next one? Are you training for something? What gear do you use? What do you listen to? How about nutrition?

Basically this thread is for anyone who runs, no matter how far or fast.

Thanks to influences from a few people (plus getting nikeplus back), I just got enthusiastic about running again
I've gone from barely being able to run 2 miles a few weeks ago, to doing 10 again. It feels really great to build it up again so quickly. Looking back on old threads, I was so out of shape 18 months ago, but this time around it's just coming right back. I've signed up for another half marathon in the autumn, I was going to do a full, but I just don't feel ready yet so I'll just have to make it a really good half.

Just got back from a nice 10k in the park, pounded my joints sprinting (er...well...it was a sprint for me anyway
) the last 600m downhill but I don't care, cos it felt fricking awesome.

See less See more
#1,306 ·
Hello! I have just started running (new years resolution) - any tips or advice?

I was out running yesterday on the hills where I live, and suddely there was thunder and lightning across the sky. I also ended up running through pretty much a river today with all the rain hats been falling - I think the weather helps with motivation though, as it makes the run more interesting! :)

#1,307 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble View Post

Hello! I have just started running (new years resolution) - any tips or advice?

I was out running yesterday on the hills where I live, and suddely there was thunder and lightning across the sky. I also ended up running through pretty much a river today with all the rain hats been falling - I think the weather helps with motivation though, as it makes the run more interesting! :)
Good for you :)

I'm not exactly an expert, but I've come on with running in the last year. My advice would be to steadily, slowly build up the distance, to try to run three times a week, try to run in pleasant natural surroundings if possible (you say you were running on the hills, and you are in Wales, so that shouldn't be too hard), don't overstretch your stride- that can lead to injuries, strike the ground with the middle of your sole, not the heel.

"Enjoy it" is cliched, but very very good advice. It's fun, and shouldn't be treated as something that just has to be done. (Although I usually don't feel enthusiastic before setting out, that comes after getting out of the house). :)

There's a few things there, but all very simple and easy things. I'm sure some of the other members will have some good advice.

#1,309 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post

Good for you :)

I'm not exactly an expert, but I've come on with running in the last year. My advice would be to steadily, slowly build up the distance, to try to run three times a week, try to run in pleasant natural surroundings if possible (you say you were running on the hills, and you are in Wales, so that shouldn't be too hard), don't overstretch your stride- that can lead to injuries, strike the ground with the middle of your sole, not the heel.

"Enjoy it" is cliched, but very very good advice. It's fun, and shouldn't be treated as something that just has to be done. (Although I usually don't feel enthusiastic before setting out, that comes after getting out of the house). :)

There's a few things there, but all very simple and easy things. I'm sure some of the other members will have some good advice.
Thanks for the advice :) I've been going out every day, so I'm glad to hear that you think three times a week will be good! :)

#1,310 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble View Post

Thanks for the advice :) I've been going out every day, so I'm glad to hear that you think three times a week will be good! :)
Ah, that's cool though :) I think everyday wouldn't give enough time to recover, but I did read a blog by a guy who ran everyday for..... I think it was a year?

For me personally, I think 4 times a week is best, but I'm sure other people do it differently, and also it would depend how far and fast you go I suppose.

#1,312 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender phase View Post

Is it really a good idea to run in cold weather? I have read mixed opinions .... It will be the high of 12 degrees today and I'm just tired of exercising indoors .... friends look at me as if I have grown two heads lol
I usually don't hesitate unless it's below 0 Fahrenheit (I have spent winters in Michigan and other cold climates). As long as you are appropriately bundled up, you should be fine.

#1,313 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

I usually don't hesitate unless it's below 0 Fahrenheit (I have spent winters in Michigan and other cold climates). As long as you are appropriately bundled up, you should be fine.
Agreed, I enjoy *cold* runs when I'm the only one out. My coldest run this season was a few degrees below 0F with a -20F windchill. I always find windchill much more obnoxious than the equivalent windchill -- i.e. I'd much rather run in an air temp of minus 5F than 10 degrees with a windchill of minus 5.

You generate what may be a surprising amount of heat when you run. As anytime outdoors, thin layers are key. You should be pretty chilly when you start. If you're not, then you're overdressed for when you get warmed up.

Stay close to home or car (possibly short loops) until you get a feel for the layers that work for you for a given temperature. Running in the cold can be very fun and rewarding, but be safe.

Exposed flesh freezes at -40 (-40 is where Fahrenheit and Celsius cross) air temp or windchill.

#1,314 ·
Is it just me or, in the US, is it eerily uncommon to see male non-competitive runners?

In my town I see ten female runners for every male, and the males are almost invariably slightly overweight, middle aged, and wearing stereotypical running costumes.

I'm younger, skinny, and I run in jeans. I had to start running with my dog because cops were pulling me over for being 'suspicious'
:lol:

I dont mind being odd, I'm actually quite used to it, but its strange being 'odd' for doing a activity thats supposed to be normal!

I'm used to being odd intentionally
:dizzy:

#1,315 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

Is it just me or, in the US, is it eerily uncommon to see male non-competitive runners?

In my town I see ten female runners for every male, and the males are almost invariably slightly overweight, middle aged, and wearing stereotypical running costumes.

I'm younger, skinny, and I run in jeans. I had to start running with my dog because cops were pulling me over for being 'suspicious'

I dont mind being odd, I'm actually quite used to it, but its strange being 'odd' for doing a activity thats supposed to be normal!

My son is 20 and also runs, and he has said similar things. He said he makes a point of waving at everyone he passes. He hasn't been approached by the police that I know of, but I'm sure they do that to young men all the time. Especially non-white males, I'm guessing.

#1,316 ·
Quote:

I think this is very dependent on where you are talking about. I know that when I lived in Seattle, it was pretty common, and I fortunately live in an area of Phoenix where people regularly go running. But I could imagine some parts of the country and world where it would not appear as normal. In terms of the male-female breakdown, I have not really noticed anywhere near a 10:1 ratio anywhere I have lived or run (all in the U.S. minus three weeks in London more than 10 years ago).

I would say that running in jeans would definitely look more "suspicious" compared to running in shorts or other clothing that is more common with runners. Honestly, if I saw somebody running in jeans, my first thought would be wondering what they were running from instead of thinking that they were getting into or staying in shape. (I could care less what you wear, but I would do a double take as those running for exercise rarely wear jeans, at least in the U.S.)

FYI - I'm a guy.

#1,317 ·
Yeah, I expected it'd vary somewhat by region.

Good to hear the ratio is better in phoenix, I hope to move someplace warm like that some day. If I end up in laredo, phoenix, death valley, etc I might even buy my first pair of shorts

I grew up in seattle in the 80's/90's (next to carkeek) and now that I think about it back then there were a fair number of men. But women still seemed to outnumber them 3 to 1 in casual running. I've never been around competition or group running events.

I suppose its no big thing, it just got me thinking when I saw on a running forum someone ask where to put their car key and everyone answered that they stick it in their bra. But I suppose a hobby thats 70-90% populated by women could have certain advantages for a guy
;)

#1,318 ·
Quote:

Yeah, I expected it'd vary somewhat by region.

Good to hear the ratio is better in phoenix, I hope to move someplace warm like that some day. If I end up in laredo, phoenix, death valley, etc I might even buy my first pair of shorts

I grew up in seattle in the 80's/90's (next to carkeek) and now that I think about it back then there were a fair number of men. But women still seemed to outnumber them 3 to 1 in casual running. I've never been around competition or group running events.

I suppose its no big thing, it just got me thinking when I saw on a running forum someone ask where to put their car key and everyone answered that they stick it in their bra. But I suppose a hobby thats 70-90% populated by women could have certain advantages for a guy
;)
Heck, I wore shorts whenever I ran in Seattle.
:D

A note for people wondering where to put their key(s) ... just interlock it into your shoelace and retie your shoes. However, this would be much easier with house/apartment keys than with car keys, which tend to be relatively bulky.

#1,319 ·
Quote:

Heck, I wore shorts whenever I ran in Seattle.
:D

A note for people wondering where to put their key(s) ... just interlock it into your shoelace and retie your shoes. However, this would be much easier with house/apartment keys than with car keys, which tend to be relatively bulky.
I usually (subtly) leave my keys outside my house. I don't like thinking that they could fall out of my pocket. The shoelace idea is interesting.

#1,320 ·
Quote:

I usually (subtly) leave my keys outside my house. I don't like thinking that they could fall out of my pocket. The shoelace idea is interesting.
Yeah, I actually tried the pocket idea repeatedly until I lost my house key once and never did find it and had to have a replacement one made. The shoelace idea is one that once somebody showed it to me, I wondered why I had never thought of it myself. If you just have a simple key or pair of keys, you can just put the shoelace through the keyhole and then tie your shoes and be good to go.

#1,321 ·
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I actually tried the pocket idea repeatedly until I lost my house key once and never did find it and had to have a replacement one made. The shoelace idea is one that once somebody showed it to me, I wondered why I had never thought of it myself. If you just have a simple key or pair of keys, you can just put the shoelace through the keyhole and then tie your shoes and be good to go.
Tied my house key/car key to my laces when running races and never lost any in the last 35 years.

#1,322 ·
I've never had an issue with running with my keys. Both my running leggings and shorts have little zippable pockets on the top of the butt that hold my house keys just fine. Other than my t-shirts, practically every bit of running kit I own has little pockets for keys. I don't trust the ones on my gloves though. If I can't zip it up, I don't trust it with my keys.

#1,327 ·
I'm currently using Zombies, Run! and my runners watch to track my runs. But my watch is old and I can't transfer the data to my PC anymore :(

Zombies, Run! is great though as it takes down the run details and it has a story running through it about a zombie apocalypse (it has had me laughing out loud at points and chocking back tears at others. Seriously, one episode had me almost bawling my eyes out).

I almost always run with my phone. I have stuff that has pockets big enough for it, thankfully. I'm up to 135 min runs again and I want my phone on me in case something happens while I'm out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.