The Running Thread - Page 45 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1321 Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post

I usually (subtly) leave my keys outside my house. I don't like thinking that they could fall out of my pocket. The shoelace idea is interesting.

Yeah, I actually tried the pocket idea repeatedly until I lost my house key once and never did find it and had to have a replacement one made. The shoelace idea is one that once somebody showed it to me, I wondered why I had never thought of it myself. If you just have a simple key or pair of keys, you can just put the shoelace through the keyhole and then tie your shoes and be good to go.

Tied my house key/car key to my laces when running races and never lost any in the last 35 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1322 Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Beginner

I've never had an issue with running with my keys. Both my running leggings and shorts have little zippable pockets on the top of the butt that hold my house keys just fine. Other than my t-shirts, practically every bit of running kit I own has little pockets for keys. I don't trust the ones on my gloves though. If I can't zip it up, I don't trust it with my keys.

#1323 Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I did 9 miles today and felt okay....... hit the wall a bit in the last mile or so- I think I didn't eat enough beforehand. But I had a lovely meal ready for my return, and some nuts. I usually make something decent before I go for a bigger run, and then I spend the second half looking forward to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1324 Old 01-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Beginner

a Balloon, I completely agree to that method for long runs. It's great knowing you have a yummy meal waiting for you when you get home.

#1325 Old 02-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Did 3 miles today, on a 2 month program to run a HM. Anybody use runkeeper?

www.runkeeper.com
#1326 Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Beginner

I've never used that one.  I usually use mapmyrun when I want to know how far I went.  I would never run with my phone though; I would fear I'd drop it as I'm huffing and puffing along.

If I map out, I dot it once I am back at home/back at the office.

#1327 Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Beginner

I'm currently using Zombies, Run! and my runners watch to track my runs. But my watch is old and I can't transfer the data to my PC anymore :(

Zombies, Run! is great though as it takes down the run details and it has a story running through it about a zombie apocalypse (it has had me laughing out loud at points and chocking back tears at others. Seriously, one episode had me almost bawling my eyes out). 

I almost always run with my phone. I have stuff that has pockets big enough for it, thankfully. I'm up to 135 min runs again and I want my phone on me in case something happens while I'm out.

#1328 Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't really have any running tech. Does anyone recommend anything basic and cheap?  I probably don't as such need anything, but it would be nice to .measure speed and distance and whatnot.   I don't have a smartphone though

#1329 Old 02-28-2014, 03:24 PM
Oryzatarian

Balloon, I plot out my routine run paths on google earth, its free and between it and a watch you can calculate speed.

I earned my first running injury, I'm so proud :D

I'd like to run through my logic and plan and if someone could tell me if I'm reasonably on target, that would be groovy.

Basically I was gradually (couch to 5Kish) training, I got to thrice weekly 2 mile runs without breaking stride with no issues. Then between two running days I went on a 20 mile hike to hunt the years first wild mint (caught some too, mint cant outrun me) and after that my right calf was sore and when I stretched there was a slight twinge on about the spot where the achilles tendon meets the heel. Running did not cause any pain so I went ahead with my planned increase to 2.3 mile runs with more hill. Achilles tendon tenderness has worsened a bit in the last week. So I played with myself a bit...

Stretching, by plantarflexion or dorsiflexion, reliably causes slight pain in the lateral half of the bottom of the right achilles tendon. Also the lateral lobe of the gastrocnemium was the sorer one. I know the two lobes of the gastrocnemius contract evenly if the heel and toes are in a perpendicular line to a line going through the pelvis, so I lightly stretched with the foot in that straight-out position- slight tenderness. I tried it with the toes pointed a bit laterally- less tenderness. I tried it with the toes pointed a bit medially- sharp pain! I figure I must have been doing something with my foot off center when hiking, or perhaps running.

Planned remedial action is skip next run and then dial it back to 2.0 miles and try running twice a week instead of 3 times for a while, further reducing to once a week if needed. Pay close attention to stance and gait, and to where my foots pointed when stretching. Use massage and foam roller on the calf and work out any bad spot with a tennis ball.

Does all that sound reasonable or am I like missing some key thing?

#1330 Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

Balloon, I plot out my routine run paths on google earth, its free and between it and a watch you can calculate speed.
I earned my first running injury, I'm so proud grin.gif
I'd like to run through my logic and plan and if someone could tell me if I'm reasonably on target, that would be groovy.
Basically I was gradually (couch to 5Kish) training, I got to thrice weekly 2 mile runs without breaking stride with no issues. Then between two running days I went on a 20 mile hike to hunt the years first wild mint (caught some too, mint cant outrun me) and after that my right calf was sore and when I stretched there was a slight twinge on about the spot where the achilles tendon meets the heel. Running did not cause any pain so I went ahead with my planned increase to 2.3 mile runs with more hill. Achilles tendon tenderness has worsened a bit in the last week. So I played with myself a bit...
Stretching, by plantarflexion or dorsiflexion, reliably causes slight pain in the lateral half of the bottom of the right achilles tendon. Also the lateral lobe of the gastrocnemium was the sorer one. I know the two lobes of the gastrocnemius contract evenly if the heel and toes are in a perpendicular line to a line going through the pelvis, so I lightly stretched with the foot in that straight-out position- slight tenderness. I tried it with the toes pointed a bit laterally- less tenderness. I tried it with the toes pointed a bit medially- sharp pain! I figure I must have been doing something with my foot off center when hiking, or perhaps running.
Planned remedial action is skip next run and then dial it back to 2.0 miles and try running twice a week instead of 3 times for a while, further reducing to once a week if needed. Pay close attention to stance and gait, and to where my foots pointed when stretching. Use massage and foam roller on the calf and work out any bad spot with a tennis ball.
Does all that sound reasonable or am I like missing some key thing?
Welcome to the club, I had IT band issues for a minute.

Are you wearing minimalist shoes, or shoes without a wedge heel? When I transitioned to VFF shoes, my Achilles tendon area and calves were sore with less than mile runs. My calves are still the first muscle group to fatigue when running.

I would encourage you to not ignore the pain with tendons, ease back very slowly into your training or take a break completely. Foam rolling and tennis ball massaging is a good idea. Form is a possible culprit, although it could simply be overtraining.
#1331 Old 02-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Oryzatarian

I'm definitely not going to ignore this, I'm training for sustainable physical ability- so hurting myself to get to higher miles would be counter intuitive. At the same time I dont want to loose progress I've made. I'll skip the next one and pay close attention before and after my monday run to decide if I should really reduce it to 1 a week until this resolves. It hasnt progressed to a danger zone yet, I can only feel the tendon issue while stretching or right after rolling out my calf so far.

My shoes are billed as all purpose neutral gait cross training shoes, they just look like running shoes to me, lol. I got two identical pair and have been using them from the beginning, no significant wear yet. So it at least wasnt triggered by a change in shoes.

It wouldnt surprise me if I was just increasing too fast for my body, I was pretty abusive to it from the age of 3 to 30, I probably dont have any immense reserves to draw on, lol.

#1332 Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

It always happens like that, doesn't it?   I just start to really hit my stride, and then- injured. I think I have now the same calf strain I had last year, or at last a similar one on the same muscle. It's not too bad, but I'm going to aggravate it tomorrow by playing football...... I shouldn't, but it's one of the last chances I will have at University...... then I'll give it a good week's rest.  Very frustrating!!!

#1333 Old 03-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

For a free tracking program, Google maps is good for manual distance finding. Then a stopwatch for time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a Balloon a Balloon View Post

It always happens like that, doesn't it?   I just start to really hit my stride, and then- injured. I think I have now the same calf strain I had last year, or at last a similar one on the same muscle. It's not too bad, but I'm going to aggravate it tomorrow by playing football...... I shouldn't, but it's one of the last chances I will have at University...... then I'll give it a good week's rest.  Very frustrating!!!

Let us know how it goes. Hopefully the strain doesn't act up too much.
#1334 Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Beginner

I only have a runners watch because my old work place was given a bunch of in car GPS's and the watch to give away in contests. We didn't really have anything to link the watch to contest wise and as I was running a marathon for charity, I was given it on the proviso that I tweeted and yelled about how good it was. And to be fair, I do like it and I'm still using it for every run I do. I also like my tech, so I'd probably have ended up buying one anyway ^_^

Auxin; cor blimey, that was very in depth about your injury! Sad to say I have nothing to add other than it's better to rest it now and make sure you've healed completely before trying to run on it again. Otherwise you could end up taking even longer off of running.

A Balloon; Hope everything goes ok!

I have one week till a half marathon and five weeks till the full marathon. Eep!

#1335 Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I'm not a runner; I walk but like reading this thread. smiley.gif @Auxin, maybe more stretching and warm up might help you. You men tend to have tight connective tissue. I really like the tennis ball idea.
#1336 Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm back in my trainers after 4 months! I may have to consider gym membership for next winter, or buying a basic treadmill; living out in the sticks with no street lights and swampy rough ground makes it nearly impossible for me to run, and very easy to make up excuses! Had a lovely short run early this morning through dappled sunshine and pine-scented woods. Time to look at some upcoming races...

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#1337 Old 03-09-2014, 02:32 PM

I am a very casual runner. I prefer to run when I have lots of time in my schedule. I have a heart condition that doesn't allow me to run for long periods of time so I enjoy doing the running/walking method. I usually run for 3 minutes and walk for 3 minutes to slow my breathing and heart rate. I enjoy running out of doors but I sometimes go to the gym when it's too cold out to breathe.

I'm trying to up my minutes by doing 4 minutes walking and 3 minutes walking. I just started running in September. We were hit with a really bad winter and I've been finding it hard to get to the gym as I enjoy taking the bus everywhere. I'm really hoping to improve this spring/summer when the weather starts to get warmer. I'd really love to run for 10 minutes without having to stop and walk. :)

#1338 Old 03-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I'm not a runner; I walk but like reading this thread. smiley.gif @Auxin, maybe more stretching and warm up might help you. You men tend to have tight connective tissue. I really like the tennis ball idea.

That reminds me of a story I heard about the tennis player Bjorn Borg some years ago.

Apparently he was playing in a championship, immediately after which he was rushing to an awards ceremony that concluded with  a formal dance. Anyway after quickly showering and changing after the match, Bjorn noticed half a dozen brand new tennis balls just at the side of his locker. Being very tight about saving money, he couldn't just leave them there but scooped them up into his trouser pockets before dashing out to his car.

Cue a few hours later, after the awards ceremony and Bjorn is dancing with the guest of honour, Princess Anne, the Queen's daughter.

"Excuse me ," says Princess Anne "I hope you don't mind me saying this Mr Borg but I can't help noticing those enormous bulges in your trousers."

"It's nothing, just my tennis balls, ma'am" explains Bjorn.

"Oh is that like tennis elbow?" asks the Princess.  :D 

ilikekale likes this.
#1339 Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Beginner

On Sunday I ran my first half marathon! It was in Cambridge (UK).

I had wanted to finish in under 3 hours, seen as my marathon time two years ago was 6:05:25.

I finished the half in 2:46:58! And I finished with a sprint to the line! I got a huge cheer for that ^_^

On Thursday I'm heading off to Portugal for a weeks training in the Algarve and then I've got the Brighton Marathon in four weeks, eek!

drsmokey and beanspud like this.
#1340 Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faya View Post

I had wanted to finish in under 3 hours, seen as my marathon time two years ago was 6:05:25.

I finished the half in 2:46:58! And I finished with a sprint to the line! I got a huge cheer for that ^_^

On Thursday I'm heading off to Portugal for a weeks training in the Algarve and then I've got the Brighton Marathon in four weeks, eek!
Congratulations, that is very impressive. thumbsup.gif
#1341 Old 03-11-2014, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Woo! It's been so long since I've been on this forum! Still running though wink3.gif

I'm currently doing my second attempt at training for marathon. First time I got a pretty bad injury, so this time in going in a little more prepared! I've signed up for my first proper race, a ½ marathon, in May, to pump myself up as well! So exciting!
#1342 Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Congrats!

#1343 Old 03-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow, that is great! Sounds like an amazing experience! :D I'm really looking forward to my Sunderland half marathon in May! It's not my first time running that distance, I run that far all the time, but it's my first time racing, so I'm quite excited/nervous :hamster:

#1344 Old 04-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Beginner

I'm dead, my legs are dead, my feet are dead. Ow ow ow!

I ran my second marathon today, I am full of ouch!

BUT! I did get a new PB pf 05:48:58! 16 mins quicker than my first marathon!

Hope everyone's running is going well! I'm going to have a couple of weeks off now, I think I deserve it ^_^

Big Foot Marty likes this.
#1345 Old 04-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Oryzatarian

I'm curious about hot guys
No, I didnt click the wrong thread Every year I see a few guys dressed all up in black sweat pants, sweat shirts (often black), and a hoodie (often black) and they are running in mid day sun in hot weather. I live in the desert. It looks like an attempt at experiencing heat stroke. I never see the same person do it more than 3 times.
What is that? A misguided weight loss thing or some odd fitness meme or something?

When I run I prefer to go at 11 pm and if its too much above freezing I run as naked as the law allows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page