The Running Thread - Page 38 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1111 Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Beginner

thank you so much! :) I feel relieved to read you. so I don't have next winter to forget my  gloves and hat. and I will star slowly when it will be very cold. It will be a new experience for me;

thanks. have a nice day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1112 Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

thank you so much! :) I feel relieved to read you. so I don't have next winter to forget my  gloves and hat. and I will star slowly when it will be very cold. It will be a new experience for me;

thanks. have a nice day

One thing I love about running in a climate like this is that it gives my running experiences an interesting amount of variety. I still would rather be in a warmer climate of course  :)  but there are pluses to running in a snowy, cold climate such as Toronto's.

Have a nice day.  :)

#1113 Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Got my new trail trainers, tights and reflective top today, ready for the evening runs grin.gif I love the clearance stuff at Royles, I saved over £80 on those three items!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1114 Old 09-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Beginner

I hope I'll like this new experience :) thx you and have a nice week end

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

One thing I love about running in a climate like this is that it gives my running experiences an interesting amount of variety. I still would rather be in a warmer climate of course  :)  but there are pluses to running in a snowy, cold climate such as Toronto's.

Have a nice day.  :)

#1115 Old 09-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

Got my new trail trainers, tights and reflective top today, ready for the evening runs grin.gif I love the clearance stuff at Royles, I saved over £80 on those three items!

what kind of trainers did you buy? I have never ran by night. Is it pleasant? aren't you afraid?

#1116 Old 09-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

what kind of trainers did you buy? I have never ran by night. Is it pleasant? aren't you afraid?

They are Saucony Jazz something somethings (I can't remember the full name) - they are the 2008 design so were a bargain price.

I love running at night, although it tends to have to be road running for the streetlights. I've tried off-roading with a torch but its too easy to twist your ankle! I like it because its cooler and refreshing (plus no-one can see my purple cheeks!) and I figure that if anyone did try to attack I can probably outrun them. I live in a pretty safe area of town I suppose, so have never felt threatened in any way. I always make sure I am wearing high visibility tops and my reflective armbands, and never run to music so I can hear when cars are coming. And I let my boyfriend know roughly how long I am going for and what part of town, just in case :)

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#1117 Old 09-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:

They are Saucony Jazz something somethings (I can't remember the full name) - they are the 2008 design so were a bargain price.

I love running at night, although it tends to have to be road running for the streetlights. I've tried off-roading with a torch but its too easy to twist your ankle! I like it because its cooler and refreshing (plus no-one can see my purple cheeks!) and I figure that if anyone did try to attack I can probably outrun them. I live in a pretty safe area of town I suppose, so have never felt threatened in any way. I always make sure I am wearing high visibility tops and my reflective armbands, and never run to music so I can hear when cars are coming. And I let my boyfriend know roughly how long I am going for and what part of town, just in case :)

Ok! it is always better to notified somebody than you are out for a jog and also where. I admit that I have never tried even if I live in a safe town too. But before I should buy armbands in order to be seen by the cars or bikes. 

and even in winter you run at night? and after to you manage to get asleep? because most of the time it is said that to morkout late avoid you getting asleep.

thanks

#1118 Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

^ I usually find I can sleep even after a run - the latest I get back is 9pm, but usually I try to run before dinner and be back by 7 or 8. I do have a very active job though, so I am tired at the end of the day and a run finishes me off! I know most people would be all fired up and find it hard to sleep but I'm lucky :)

#1119 Old 09-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i like to run in daylight hours, just due to tripping hazards.  :)

#1120 Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:

^ I usually find I can sleep even after a run - the latest I get back is 9pm, but usually I try to run before dinner and be back by 7 or 8. I do have a very active job though, so I am tired at the end of the day and a run finishes me off! I know most people would be all fired up and find it hard to sleep but I'm lucky :)

ok! in fact after work I go for a jog and I come back around 7pm-7/pm but for now it isn't dark yet. maybe during the winter I will experience my first jog by night. 

I thought you were running around 9pm- 10pm. that's why I asked you for the sleep

#1121 Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Get this :)

http://www.charitymiles.org/

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#1122 Old 09-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Beginner

I don't have a smartphone!!!! mines has 6 years old! but this app seems great! thank you. I take note for my future cell phone

#1123 Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't have a smartphone!!!! mines has 6 years old! but this app seems great! thank you. I take note for my future cell phone

I can't get it either :(

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”

#1124 Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Ran yesterday and this morning.  Just really small 1 mile runs but hey it's something!  And according to Runkeeper, I've achieved two new goals: longest miles ran in a month and most activities in a month!  Yay!

#1125 Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Good job, Dok!  :)

#1126 Old 09-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Running gear is so expensive! Who would have thought....

#1127 Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 PM

So, I ran for the very first time since primary school today and I have discovered a few things:

1)  I am completely out of shape.

2)  A bunny I frightened while on my very meager run was much better at this than I am.

3)  I felt like I had a much better time when I was done but:

4)  OMG, how do you do this?

I ran a mile, and then walked the rest back and I was exhausted.  My lungs are killing me.  I absolutely need better shoes for this but other than that I am entirely the problem.  Should I run every day and once I get comfortable with a distance start running farther?  Do I take a rest day and then run again the following? 

Also, really dumb question I'm sure but how do you carry water?  It's getting to be winter where I am which means high 70's-80's F, but today it was 90F when I went for my run.  I carried a bottle in my hand and that was incredibly cumbersome.  Am I missing some sort of essential running gear?  I thought tunes and a desire to burn my lungs out of my body was enough!

#1128 Old 10-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medeina View Post

So, I ran for the very first time since primary school today and I have discovered a few things:

1)  I am completely out of shape.

2)  A bunny I frightened while on my very meager run was much better at this than I am.

3)  I felt like I had a much better time when I was done but:

4)  OMG, how do you do this?

I ran a mile, and then walked the rest back and I was exhausted.  My lungs are killing me.  I absolutely need better shoes for this but other than that I am entirely the problem.  Should I run every day and once I get comfortable with a distance start running farther?  Do I take a rest day and then run again the following? 

Also, really dumb question I'm sure but how do you carry water?  It's getting to be winter where I am which means high 70's-80's F, but today it was 90F when I went for my run.  I carried a bottle in my hand and that was incredibly cumbersome.  Am I missing some sort of essential running gear?  I thought tunes and a desire to burn my lungs out of my body was enough!

The best strategy is to walk and walk/run before you get to running all the time. Do take some rest days.

Congrats on taking the first steps. In regards to answering No. 4, I would just say that you gradually get used to go further and further (and faster and faster). Your body adapts.

You probably don't need to bring water, but do make sure you are hydrated throughout the day (you should do that whether you run or not) and hydrate yourself again right after. (I'm guessing you are not going too far; that is why I do not believe you would need to bring water - bringing it definitely can't hurt though)

In regards to running gear, shoes are the most important piece to the puzzle. I would highly recommend going to a running specialty store and have them help you out. Everything else that you wear is flexible, but the shoes are vitally important.

Good luck. Wishing you the best with this.

#1129 Old 10-16-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks so much for the thoughtful response I really appreciate it. I am going to hit up a shoe store this weekend and get some better shoes. Until it hits winter for us in the desert I am going to try bringing water since it is so hot and dry, but try a smaller bottle since the amount needed is really for the walk back. Going to try a run every two off days to start since I have been doing long hikes on the weekends. I don't want to burn everything out.

As an aside the charity miles app is great it counted my runs and my 5 mile hike toward nature conservancy with no difficulty. Highly recommended!
#1130 Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Medeina, I have been a runner on and off for years, and after a 3 month break I'm starting again. It's hard work to build stamina, and it's so easy to lose it at the same time. Don't be discouraged. After a few weeks, it gets easier. tongue3.gif
#1131 Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 PM

I am going to hold you to that Dalia!

I have a little timer app and was very happy to see I had a moderately better time.
#1132 Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Good it is  and I suggest you take easily achieve able goals that not heart you and feeling you pain. 

#1133 Old 10-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Medeina, you can buy water bottles in an 'o' shape which are designed to be comfortable to hold as you run. I use mine on longer runs when I know I will need to rehydrate. Build it up slowly and you will be amazed at how different you feel in a month, and how much further you can go!

#1134 Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, if you're running an hour or less and hydrated prior and after, I don't see a reason to bring water with?

#1135 Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM

Thanks Nooch. smiley.gif Getting better all the time, feeling pretty happy about the whole minor improvement cycle.
#1136 Old 10-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Beginner

when I run one hour and a half should i bring a bottle of water? I always drink before a run, but I have never brought a bottle with me. I don't know if it is really pleasant to run with a bottle in the hands!

#1137 Old 10-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

when I run one hour and a half should i bring a bottle of water? I always drink before a run, but I have never brought a bottle with me. I don't know if it is really pleasant to run with a bottle in the hands!

depends if you feel you need it.  people sweat differently, are hydrated less/more, esp. depending on diet, etc. 

#1138 Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM

My favorite place to run is around the little blue river as it meanders next to old rairoad tracks with old bridges. It hs a mix of trails and asphalt roads. Its my get away in the middle of town. Arun there for me is an endorphin fix plus a mini vacation. I can get in around 7-10 miles. I dont carry awatch or aGPS.                           joehrn0

#1139 Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM

I'm new to running and have a question, I hope someone can help!

I am slowly working up to running for 30 minutes at a time. Week one (run 1 minute, walk 2 minutes for a total of 30 minutes) went well. I did the first run (run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute for a total of 30 minutes) of week two 3 days ago. It completely kicked my ass so I took an extra rest day. I have a persistent ache in my left leg. It's on the outside of my leg and starts at my hip and ends at my knee. I wouldn't call it severe, but it's annoying and makes it hard to sleep.

I don't think it's DOMS, because it hurts even when at rest. 

I'm wondering if I should have another rest day and wait for this ache to go away, or if I should continue with the program. I feel like a slacker because according to the schedule I should have run yesterday. Maybe I should walk instead or something?

Please help!

ETA: My DH who is very athletic and has experience with these things told me to just suck it up because it's part of the process, but he's a hockey and tennis player not a runner. :P

http://holothuroidea0.tumblr.com/

#1140 Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 AM

It sounds like your IT Band. Resting it may help along with ibuprofen. You can also ice it after and apply heat before running to help ease the pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page