The Running Thread - Page 37 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1081 Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I am 2 weeks post surgery and started on the following rehab:

Stretches x 3 times a day

Cycling 15 minutes at 15km per hour (it is hard cycline this slow)
Eliptical 5 minutes with minimal resistance
Treadmill 5 minutes at 4km/hr (it is even harder walking this slow)

*only once a day*

Leg specific exercises:

1/2 squats x 50

Calf raises x 50

Modified lunge x 50 each side

Repeat x 3 x 3 times a day

Followed by 20 minutes raised knee icing

It is going to be a long 10 weeks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1082 Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

:) mee too I have been running! and I agree with you! how we feel so well after running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

sometimes I feel lazy but one's we start running after everything ok and you want to continue running! the more difficult is to start! 

Yeah I feel like it's a lot easier to do it in the morning, and to go outside. I ran again today at about 8am.. and usually on the treadmill I stop if I get bored or too lazy. But when you're outside you really can't... so you're still half-asleep so you're not really thinking lol. 

#1083 Old 07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Been running almost every day.  A day off once every 2 weeks or so.  but shorter runs, only like a half hour.  Still doing stepper, weights, yoga, lots of walking, some bike rides.  Yay!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1084 Old 07-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Beginner

you aren't fed up with running everyday? or you may be hooked with it :)

you practice a lot of activities! you may have a really good and slow heart I imagine.

#1085 Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, my breathing is great.  How about you?  I have plenty of energy for the workouts cuz I eat enough carbs from sweet fruit!  yum!!

#1086 Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I run at least twice a week one's 1hour and a half in the week end and an other time around 50minutes. I like running in the parks.

I run because it allows me to get relax, feel well and then you can practice it when you want, when you are available. you do not need to respects hours as in fitness centre.

and then obviously it is free. 

I prefer outside, too.  But sometimes do treadmill.  :)

#1087 Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Yeah, my breathing is great.  How about you?  I have plenty of energy for the workouts cuz I eat enough carbs from sweet fruit!  yum!!

yes, the same. it is quite slow around 42 beats per minutes. even if I am vegan I am always in really good shape with a lot of energy contrary to some omnivores! 

I have never tried treadmill. Is it easier or more difficult than running outside? 

#1088 Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:

I have never tried treadmill. Is it easier or more difficult than running outside? 

I think treadmill is much much easier (sorry to butt in lol). I used to use it everyday, and I could easily stay in a jogging motion for 1 hour. Outside.... I have to walk after about 15 minutes. I think it's mainly because you don't realize how slow you're actually going on the treadmill. I would go around 4mph and think that was great, but outside that is slow. Outside I've noticed I naturally run at about 6mph. 
Also on a treadmill the ground is being pulled from underneath you, so it requires less energy. Outside, however, you have to push all your weight on your own.

#1089 Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Your picture looks great!

I think it is easier in some ways and more difficult in others:  it can get boring on the treadmill and monotonous and perhaps dangerous if you fall.  :p  Outside can be more interesting, depending on where you live and if there's trails.  I find it easier to do hills outside than on the treadmill incline.  Outside can also be dangerous with drivers/cars/bikers.  My runs go by faster outside for sure.  But if it's pouring out or too hot, I use the 'mill.  :)  Just depends.  :D

#1090 Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Beginner

On my sun set walk yesterday I heard the crazy read necks driving around in the distance so I started to jog home (maybe 1/4 of a mile?) and it felt great! I don't know exactly why..maybe because I was running on a dirt road that was graded two days ago and had a softer feel? Maybe it was runner's high or was it those beans I ate that put a fire in my chest :P? Mind you I was running in my vibrams and with a hydro pack filled up that I usually bring on my walks (not very comfortable when running..) It just felt amazing and I really hope it wasn't a fluke ..think I might need to give running a try again :)!?

#1091 Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:

I think it is easier in some ways and more difficult in others:  it can get boring on the treadmill and monotonous and perhaps dangerous if you fall.  :p  Outside can be more interesting, depending on where you live and if there's trails.  I find it easier to do hills outside than on the treadmill incline.  Outside can also be dangerous with drivers/cars/bikers.  My runs go by faster outside for sure.  But if it's pouring out or too hot, I use the 'mill.  :)  Just depends.  :D

Thank you :)

I will probably try the treadmill next winter because I have moved to Toronto and if it is -20 degres I do not know if it is possible to run with such temperature. I come from France and there is never snow in my place, and I am not used to so cold tempertures.

then It is what I was wondering if with the treadmill we can feel the same for the hills and climbs. It just that I am afraid to get bored, since when you are outside you can change of way, you have hills, you can run are in parks or the beach....

but thank you for your answer penny. :)

#1092 Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 PM

I have been an on again, off again runner most of my life.  I am on again and have been doing much better this go round.  I am really watching my pace so I don't over do it, which was always an issue for me in the past.  I was always feeling like I needed to run faster and it ended up being an unpleasant activity for me and I would quit eventually.  I truly do jog now and have found a lot more enjoyment.  I guess I decided that I'm not training for the Olympics anymore.  

I have an elliptical trainer in the house for lousy weather, but I hate it...I find it very boring compared to running outdoors....I love the change of scenery and the sense that I'm actually going somewhere.

#1093 Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinodad54 View Post

I have been an on again, off again runner most of my life.  I am on again and have been doing much better this go round.  I am really watching my pace so I don't over do it, which was always an issue for me in the past.  I was always feeling like I needed to run faster and it ended up being an unpleasant activity for me and I would quit eventually.  I truly do jog now and have found a lot more enjoyment.  I guess I decided that I'm not training for the Olympics anymore.  

I have an elliptical trainer in the house for lousy weather, but I hate it...I find it very boring compared to running outdoors....I love the change of scenery and the sense that I'm actually going somewhere.

I feel the same! I like being outside because landscapes change with the seasons and also the perception is different if it is sunny or cloudy! and you are right we have to run for our pleasure and not for the performance. we have to go to our rythm and listen to our body and mind.

I am pretty sure that after a jog you feel much better than before? don't you?

#1094 Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Beginner

I am starting to get back into running again. I went out for about an hour (running and walking), and I feel great afterwards!! :)

I am definitely going to make this a habit. Especially once the weather starts getting warmer.

#1095 Old 07-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Beginner

I have a new coworker that is super into running and I am excited :D

I've been running five miles daily this month. My hip feels much better.

I've started weight training. Literally just started. My legs are so much

stronger than my arms from running it's ridiculous. 

Once it cools off some I am going to start running to work. I don't live too

far from where I work but as it's a pretty fancy shmancy place and they

want all employees to look impeccable. That considered, I can't run to

work in +100F without sweating a gallon. I'm likewise excited to start 

running to work and then will spend half my lunch hour running as well. 

#1096 Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Several several months ago I tried running and reading on a treamill to evade the boredom.

About fifteen minutes in, somehow I did something wrong and ended up on the floor. The

cover of my book also got torn off ): I'm still not sure how it happened. One minute I was running

the next I was on the floor and my book was across the room, literally. 

I bet whoever reviewed the cameras at the fitness center I was at got a kick out of it. 

#1097 Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Beginner

Falling off of a treadmill was always my biggest fear when I used to go to the gym undecided.gif

#1098 Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Beginner

how do you do to fall of the treadmill? because it is too fast?

#1099 Old 08-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:

how do you do to fall of the treadmill? because it is too fast?

I fell off because I wasn't paying attention. Which is odd, because my mind usually wanders when I run on the treadmill

so the amount of attention I'm focusing is a bit low, I do however pay attention to my body when running. When I fell off

I was running about a nine and a half minute mile, which is not very fast for me, I simply just wasn't paying attention at all.

#1100 Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Beginner

ok! be careful it would be ashamed to hurt yourself! 

#1101 Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM

running everyday, unless you are advanced, is a recipe for injury.  especially if you never mix it up.  you should never run the same distance, it always needs to be changing and there need to be intervals, fartleks, hills, ladders, tempos, long runs, short runs, medium runs and for MOST people a rest day. not only is this the proper way to get faster and run longer, its how you avoid injury and burnout.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cycle - Run - Train - Live - Vegan
#1102 Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Another beginning runner here. I´ve been jogging for three and a half months now, and I´ve gone from walk/running 2.5 miles to running 8 miles. I have a 10k competition (10.5 in fact, it´s a quarter marathon) coming up in three weeks, and my goal is to run it in under 60 minutes. Previously in any sports I´ve done (judo, weight training, martial arts) I´ve usually trained way too hard, and usually that ended in overtraining and burning out. This time I´ve been trying to really listen to my body; if I feel tired I won´t go running even if it´s a "scheduled" training day. 

Anyways, nice to see there are so many runners here on this forum!

#1103 Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I started running again!  I worked 12 hour days in the hot summer heat and didn't wanna come home and run after that.  I'm going for a run tomorrow at 8am before school! :)

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#1104 Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Beginner

Hi all! I haven't been running for a bit due to a small upheaval in my personal life. So for the first time in about two months I actually managed to get out of my front door and go for a run. It was only 20 mins at a slow pace, but I ran it non-stop. I'm glad that my fitness hasn't taken too much of a hit ^_^

#1105 Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I've had a terrible few months of losing motivation, illness and struggling with energy after long days at work so today was my first run in ages! I took my pup out on a very short one along the river and he absolutely loved it. I can't wait for the time when he is fully grown and able to go for miles with me. He's a collie cross so will have plenty of energy, though to be honest he outran me without a hint of panting this morning!

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#1106 Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Five miles cross country this morning, with a lot of cowpat leaping. That must mean more leg toning?

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
#1107 Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Beginner

great news! I am sorry that you have been sick, hope everything ok now! just be careful.

I continue to run at least twice a week but I am afraid about the winter. I live in Toronto. It's gonna be my first winter there and I wonder if I will be able to run in december, january, february... it may snow ot it 'll be propably very cold.

how do you do in the winter to run? Is it posible to run on the snow? What kind of clothes do you wear?

I come from France and I am not used to the snow and very low temperatures.

thanks

#1108 Old 09-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I continue to run at least twice a week but I am afraid about the winter. I live in Toronto. It's gonna be my first winter there and I wonder if I will be able to run in december, january, february... it may snow ot it 'll be propably very cold.

how do you do in the winter to run? Is it posible to run on the snow? What kind of clothes do you wear?

I come from France and I am not used to the snow and very low temperatures.

thanks

You can definitely run in the cold. :)

I am currently spending winters in Michigan (hoping to move this winter though!), and the weather here is pretty similar to what Toronto gets. You do need to bundle up and once it gets below negative 20 celsius you may want to consider not running outside. But it can definitely be done. Be careful and perhaps don't run if it's really icy though. And running in a little snow can be compared to running in sand on a beach.

One really good thing is that the more you run in the cold temperatures, the more you will be used to that cold when you are simply out and about living your life.

#1109 Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Beginner

ok thank you very much for your answer. I was worried not to be able to run next winter; I'l be careful with ice.

however how do you wear? do you have to do more stretching exercices before?

#1110 Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

ok thank you very much for your answer. I was worried not to be able to run next winter; I'l be careful with ice.

however how do you wear? do you have to do more stretching exercices before?

You're welcome.

I am pretty simple - I just wear more. Probably the most I will wear is a sweatshirt on top of another shirt (maybe a third layer if it is really cold, but usually not), sweats, gloves/mittens and a beanie-type hat to cover my head and ears. If it is really bitterly cold, I sometimes wear two pairs of socks.

In regards to stretching, personally I focus more on starting at a more gradual pace the colder it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page