The Running Thread - Page 36 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1051 Old 06-10-2012, 03:18 PM

:/ I hope you're better now.

My whole day was sort of ruined because I didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I ate two slices of bread before I went running after around 20 minutes I felt this side stitch-like pain in my stomach and I had to stop running and walk the rest of the way home. Lately I've been hungry all the time despite also eating all the time, it's hard to time my runs... On one hand I don't want to ever feel that pain and disappointment of a failed run, but on the other, I don't want to faint halfway through 9k either...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1052 Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Beginner

I got a PB on my 10k run yesterday!  Official finish time was 1:10:35, over half a mintue faster than my best training 10k. ^_^

#1053 Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faya View Post

I got a PB on my 10k run yesterday!  Official finish time was 1:10:35, over half a mintue faster than my best training 10k. ^_^

Awesome carrot.gif

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1054 Old 06-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

Well, I did NOT finish the 10k today. I woke up coughing and congested. I went down to the race, planning on just picking up my shirt and leaving, but I went ahead and started the race. But I had NO energy... I've been kind of sick all week, and was NOT prepared for the race at all. Got about 2k into it before I decided I couldn't go any further. Turned up the hill and went back home. So, at least I gave it an effort. At least I got my shirt. And now I'm gonna shower and march in the parade. THAT, I can handle...

I'm sorry you didn't finish. There will be other races. I hope you feel better soon.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#1055 Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Bad news on the running front for me with a referral today to see an orthapaedic surgeon for arthroscopic surgery to fix the ulcer I plica I have in my right knee after the cortisone injections did not allieviate the pain or ache.

*sigh*

#1056 Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Bad news on the running front for me with a referral today to see an orthapaedic surgeon for arthroscopic surgery to fix the ulcer I plica I have in my right knee after the cortisone injections did not allieviate the pain or ache.

*sigh*

:(

#1057 Old 06-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Beginner

Quote:

*sigh*

:( *hugs*

Also in knee news, my runnings taken a hit as my right knee keeps getting a pain in it after 20 mins of running. It's highly frustrating.

#1058 Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

*sigh*

Quote:

:( *hugs*

Also in knee news, my runnings taken a hit as my right knee keeps getting a pain in it after 20 mins of running. It's highly frustrating.

:(  :(

**bigs hugs for you both**

#1059 Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Random question:  How often do you guys work cross-training into your running routine?  What do you do?  How often?

#1060 Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I ran 3.6 miles this morning. It was a nice distance and felt great!

smiley.gif

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#1061 Old 06-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Ran just 2 miles today, but it was still a nice little run. :)

-Martha Graham

#1062 Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieB View Post

Random question:  How often do you guys work cross-training into your running routine?  What do you do?  How often?

A normal running week (before my injury):

M - Speed training

T-  One hour mixed PT session ie. hand weights, kettle bells, arms, abs, boxing

W - Hill/stair and/or running specific strength training

T - Half hour upper body PT session

F - 1 hour+ run

S - Group fitness class

S - Rest day

*All outside

Since my injury:

M - Physio massage session & 10 minutes stationary bike

T - One hour mixed PT session modified as I can't do any leg work

W - Physio reformer session & 10 minutes stationary bike

T - Half hour upper body PT session

F - 10 minute stationary bike

S - 10 minute stationary bike

S - 10 minute stationary bike

*Tuesday and Thursday outside the rest inside

Part of the reason for my injury is that I lack leg strength. I am hoping to follow somethiing like this after I have fully recovered from my op:

M - Speed training (AM) plus lower body weight training (PM)

T-  One hour mixed PT session ie. hand weights, kettle bells, arms, abs, boxing plus a half hour easy run (PM)

W - Hill/stair and/or running specific strength training (PM)

T - Half hour upper body PT session (AM) plus lower body weight training (PM)

F - 1 hour run (AM) and/or 1 hour cycle (PM)

S - Group fitness class until I am able to run over 10km and then it will be and/or long run (AM)

S - Rest day

*Lower body strength inside the rest outside

HTH

#1063 Old 06-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

I ran 3.6 miles this morning. It was a nice distance and felt great!

smiley.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

Ran just 2 miles today, but it was still a nice little run. :)

You are getting some excellent runs in Persephone. Are you training for an event?

#1064 Old 06-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Any idea what it might be? Have you seen a doctor?

#1065 Old 06-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You are getting some excellent runs in Persephone. Are you training for an event?

Not specifically. Last summer I was up to half marathon distance (I'd like to do a marathon someday). But I had some issues at school where I had to stop running for a while, so I'm working my way back up. So excited to be running again! 

-Martha Graham

#1066 Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

And today I ran 2.4 miles.

-Martha Graham

#1067 Old 06-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks Cyclone T.

I do weightlift already.  I find that helps prevent my knee problems.  I think I'm going to start incorporating cycling into my routine during the week.  THat way I can still work my muscles but in a way that has a little less impact on the joints... 

I hope your knee is feeling better. 

#1068 Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Sounds like an addiction coming on

It is. I love running now. It's just getting into the hotter months in Florida, but I found a nice track in my school gym I can use to avoid heat stroke or being swept up by a windy storm, depending on the day. YAY A/C. Avoid the elements!

#1069 Old 07-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Beginner

I run at least twice a week one's 1hour and a half in the week end and an other time around 50minutes. I like running in the parks.

I run because it allows me to get relax, feel well and then you can practice it when you want, when you are available. you do not need to respects hours as in fitness centre.

and then obviously it is free. 

#1070 Old 07-04-2012, 07:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw the surgeon and he scheduled me in for surgery 4 days later which was last Friday. It was more complicated than first thought with a 2cm full thickness ulcer in my cartilage. They cut around it and then drilled holes to cause a hemorrhage which will harden and become cartilage like. He also fixed the plica and tidied up the rest of the knee.

2 weeks only stretching then light cycling and strength work with particular emphasis on hamstrings, calves and abs. No running for 3 months shocked.gif as any high impact exercise will cause the hemorrhage to dislodge and take me back to square 1.

It is going to be a very long quarter sad.gif

#1071 Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Awwww... Cyclone T, I'm sorry to hear about the surgery and no running :(

**Big Hugs**

#1072 Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know about the weather near you guys, but it has made for some difficult running here...

#1073 Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Beginner

where do you come from? here in toronto it is very hot, but for example I go for the running early in the morning or around 6:30pm and I run in the shadow and in parks where there are a lot of trees.

but it is true than we have to avoid running the day between 10 am and 5pm at least. sometimes I see runners under the sun at 2pm while there is 34 degres!!!!!!!!! it is crazy!!!! it can be dangerous for our body. then there is the risk of desydratation

#1074 Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular

East coast of the USA.  Yesterday it FINALLY cooled off (~87F --  ~31C) but the temps had been into the 100s previously.  I can actually deal with that a bit, but the humidity wouldn't let up, which meant even running after the sun went down was just downright uncomfortable.  And I've lived somewhere on the humid east coast my whole life, so I can usually deal, but the heatwave of the past few weeks had been brutal.  

#1075 Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 AM
Beginner

it you are used with humidity I think it can be fine, however it you begin to feel awful you have to stop running at once! we do not have to take any risks and we have to listen to our body. Here in Toronto it is a little bit less warm that in your place, but I pay attention cause I am not use to the humidity.

#1076 Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 AM

It's 8:30AM right now and I wanna go running so badly... but at the same time I don't. :/

It's so muggy outside, and I just don't feel like it. And the treadmill downstairs is old, creepy, and dark. Ughhh

#1077 Old 07-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Beginner

it you don"t feel like running, don't go, i do not think it worth forcing one's self to run. You may be tired or just no wish to run, it can happens. listen to your body

#1078 Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM

I did. :D 2 miles... better than nothing. 

I was just lazy. But I'm happy I did. 

#1079 Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 AM
Beginner

:) mee too I have been running! and I agree with you! how we feel so well after running!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

sometimes I feel lazy but one's we start running after everything ok and you want to continue running! the more difficult is to start! 

#1080 Old 07-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saretta View Post

where do you come from?

I am from Perth, Western Australia. It is winter here shy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page