Thinking about doing martial arts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-12-2011, 07:07 PM

Not sure if this is in the right place, but... I was wondering if anybody has any expeirance in doing some sort of martial arts and which one would you recomend for someone who wants to start it, but is not in the greatest shape. Any advice would be very helpful.

ÂPeople often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I do!

My school is Mixed Martial Arts, which means we take aspects and techniques from all styles. We're not the most traditional school. A lot of our focus is on real life self-defense. If what works best isn't traditional...well... we teach whats going to save you if someone jumps you on the street. Not to say that tradition is entirely forgotten, you still have to know your forms to get your belts! You can never forget where you came from.

There's no guarantee that an MMA place you find would be just like mine, either.

I'd say MMA would certainly get you in shape, but starting when your not in shape is ALL about the Sensei (teacher,) IMO. If s/he is good, s/he'll work with you from the understanding that you're not likely to be pulling off fantastic feats of athleticism from the beginning. They'll push you so you'll get better but understand how far they can go.

If you have options where you live, maybe see if they have some kind of trial period so you can check out what the place is like and what the people are like. I first took martial arts at a different dojo then where I am right now. I didn't like the way they ran things, didn't click with the people, generally wasn't happy there and therefore I didn't stay long.
When I joined up with my current dojo, the people there knew how to teach me and guide me. When you first join up for a martial art, everything feels SO AWKWARD. I felt like I looked silly doing all the moves, I felt like I'd never get it right. I looked in awe at the other students who were more experienced, and I thought "I'll never be able to do that!" But now I do it all the time. MMA has done wonders for my confidence and now I've been with it for something like six or seven years. The people are a big part of it.
#3 Old 01-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Me too. I train in Muay Thai. We learn punchs,kicks, elbows,knees and throws. Karate and Taekwondo are also based on striking principles and some pretty good professional kickboxers have that background so that would be another thing you might want to check out. But if you prefer grappling then you have Judo and BJJ. I tried BJJ but it was too complicated for me and also I didn't enjoy it too much.

And thats important. Any martial art is good to learn for self-defence and general health but you should enjoy what you are doing. And as Kai pointed out, you should probably go a few trial classes to see which on you like.

As for being in shape goes. Yes it is quite an important factor. The main thing is building endurance and stamina and that can be done by running and doing more cardio. So if you want you can first do that for a few weeks and see where you stand. Here is a sample of what we do at our gym twice a week.

Run 20 minutes. Skipping rope, jumping jacks, push ups, core strength etc.- Total 60 minutes
Muay Thai Technique- Punching bags, kicking bags, pad work with elbows and knees- Total 50 minutes
Stetching 10 minutes
Sparring on Sundays

All the best

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have done aikido, boxing, BJJ and karate (okinawa syle and shotokan)

If anyone has any questions, please ask, because I just don't feel like describing them all here.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM

Mix Martial Arts sounds interesting and how long does it usually take to get a new belt and what are all the colors Kai? I'm not in horrible shape, its just that I haven't had any of the regular exercise that I've usaully had before I moved. I used to march so that really was a workout that was useful, and carrying a 50 lb + drum helped as well. But I haven't done that in a year, although I still have some of the stamina. So I just have to keep looking until I find a dojo that I feel comfortable with, I can do that. Sperion, was it difficult for you to learn Muay Thai? I was also thinking about Judo, but I researched it and found that it envolves a lot of throwing which is not much of my thing. And what is BJJ? And I'm not the best shape, but I still have some stamina and my endurance is pretty good, it's just not the best that it can be. I also can't start running right now, outside is cold and the streets are covered in snow. I was also wondering how much do classes cost on average? And is Kenpo similar to Mixed Martial Arts? Thank you both, and sorry for all the questions.

ÂPeople often say that humans have always eaten animals, as if this is a justification for continuing the practice. According to this logic, we should not try to prevent people from murdering other people, since this has also been done since the earliest of times. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer
#6 Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM

What does Aikido involve, Envy? And what is the difference between those two Karates? And do any involve a lot of throwing onto mats. Is boxing how they show on tv/movies? Or is there some differences.

#7 Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

In my dojo the belts go:
White, White-Yellow, Yellow, Yellow-Orange, Orange, Orange-Purple, Purple, Green, Blue, Brown, Shodan Ho (Brown with a black stripe), and Black Belt.

The length of time between belts varies. The further up you go, the longer there is between belts. White to White-Yellow might be a few months while you might wait a year or more to go from Brown to Shodan Ho.
The belt colors will also vary between dojos.
The funny thing about martial arts, (maybe it's just around here but I doubt it) is that very little is consistent, even between two dojos of the same style. For example, even if another school does the same form as us, they may do some moves differently within it.

I pay $60 a month, but my dojo is just a little place. When we were bigger it was $90.
#8 Old 01-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Ive done Tang Soo Do for five years and absolutely love it. It really depends on who you find as your instructor. The caliber of really varies across studios in my experience.
#9 Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine72 View Post

What does Aikido involve, Envy? And what is the difference between those two Karates? And do any involve a lot of throwing onto mats. Is boxing how they show on tv/movies? Or is there some differences.

Aikido mainly revolves around taking the opponents forces and using towards him. It's also all about avoiding damage, as in that you learn how to fall correctly, rolling on the floor and avoid grabs. It's all about throwing yourself(and others) on the mat. BJJ is, too.

Well, if I'd have to say one thing, the Okinawan style is more oriented towards the physical part(sparring, conditioning) while Shotokan is more inclined towards the mental and technical part(kata, punches in air). The Okinawan style also had throws.

On the boxing part......well, It'd be best if I just showed a workout example from when I did it.

5-10 minutes warmup (jogging, jumpings jacks for example)
10-15 minutes of shadowboxing
10-15 minutes of jumping rope
10-15 minutes of either heavy bagwork or hitting mitts/pads
(insert sparring here at convenience)
15-20 minutes of strength training
5 minutes of stretching

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#10 Old 01-13-2011, 02:17 PM

So the colors vary from dojo to dojo? And so do the times. And even if there are two of the same type of Martial Arts dojos they will most likely have different styles. That seems like a pretty good price for that, and most likely if there are more students and the building is bigger it would probably cost more? Chickenpets, what does Tang Soo Do involve and was it very difficult for you to start with it?

#11 Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM

So Aikido is like pushing away the opponent instead of directly attacking? And how often did you do throws in the Okinawan style Karate? And which Martial arts did you enjoy more. The boxing seems reasonable, and I'm guessing that it might be similar to kickboxing.

#12 Old 01-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So Aikido is like pushing away the opponent instead of directly attacking? And how often did you do throws in the Okinawan style Karate? And which Martial arts did you enjoy more. The boxing seems reasonable, and I'm guessing that it might be similar to kickboxing.

We didn't do that much throws, maybe one time or so per week.

I'm enjoying boxing and BJJ more, since they are more about the direct approach when training - I'm more inclined towards the physical approach.

#13 Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 PM

That's very interesting to know. I don't think I would handle throwing people on the mat that well, but I guess that's what practice is for, right? I was also wondering would a trial period cost anything, because I have a few Martial Arts classes around my area and most are Kenpo and one has a few different kinds that I haven't really heard of.

#14 Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

... Sperion, was it difficult for you to learn Muay Thai? I was also thinking about Judo, but I researched it and found that it envolves a lot of throwing which is not much of my thing...

hmm thats a good qs. lol... well its all about taking small steps. I have sparred just once, and this is after 4 months of beginner. With safety headgear though of course. It was a typical Muay Thai fight with 3 minutes of 3 rounds but there was no scoring, just sparring. Unfortunately there aren't any belt rankings only how well you apply your technique.

There aren't many "throws" in Muay Thai either. Just what they call dumps, where if you can catch the opponents kicks and trip him, off his/her other feet, or many other moves. And if Judo is not your thing you definitely dont need to worry about Brazilian Jiujitsui(BJJ).

I understand you were in a marching band and that is definitely a great cardio workout. You should get back doing that if you can, by yourself at home or even out in the park . I hope you find a good Muay Thai Gym so you can try it out. Good luck!

Time Exists But Just On Your Wrist, So Don't Panic. Moments Last And Lifetimes Are Lost In A Day- Travis.
#15 Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Chickenpets, what does Tang Soo Do involve and was it very difficult for you to start with it?

Tang soo do is a striking style (punches, strikes, kicks, blocks, etc) without a lot of throws, takedowns, etc. If you feel uncomfortable with groundwork, a striking style is probably where you'd want to start. My particular studio is quite traditional, and a lot of emphasis is put on forms and stances. I love it, and loved it from the moment I started. That's not to say it isnt difficult - it is. you just learn to thrive on it
#16 Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqzvFiNt328

#17 Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 PM

So in Muay Thai you start by working with yourself and the instructor? That's kind of like other Martial arts, right? I looked up places that teach Muay Thai, one of them cost way too much (close to 200 a month) and it's a bit far (Chicago is a bit far for me). The other one seems nice, I still need to check their price and instructors though. I was in marching band and at some point or another carried and played the different drums there and a couple were made of metal and wood, so that also made it a great workout. I might pick up the marching part again (I still have my metronome) but the school I'm in doesn't have the program, so I guess I'll just be doing it in the back yard when nobody is there watching. I will try Muay Thai out if I can, it sounds like something I would try anyway. And that video, rofl! I really laughed at the end when the guy sort of rolled and tried to smash the piece of wood! Chickenpets, I'm not so sure I have a place where they teach Tang Soo Do nearby, although it does sound pretty cool. If I do have the chance I'll check out a Tang Soo Do class.

#18 Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i think it really depends on what you are looking to get out of it. are you interested in learning self defense, are you looking to get fit and increase flexibility, balance, etc, or are you just looking for a fun way to get active?

personally i would love love love to learn kung fu but i know i'm not physically fit enough to do very well at it right now, plus i just plain can't afford lessons in anything at the moment. i'd also like to give tai chi a shot for the flexibility, balance and breathing. it's not just for little old ladies at the park, anyone of any age and fitness level can benefit from tai chi

i would suggest researching before you choose. first find out what is available in your town, which schools are authentic vs modern, maybe call around and get some prices, and then hit the net and look into the demands and benefits of each

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#19 Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So in Muay Thai you start by working with yourself and the instructor? That's kind of like other Martial arts, right?

yep exactly like any other martial arts. You do your classes in groups with other students. But you can get 1 on 1 training too, but thats extra. And yes, will let you any dojo, muay thai gym is considered a pretty high end fitness club. So make sure you want to make a committment, because many would like to get you in a 6 month payment plan. $200 a month? that is quite a bit, but I am in Canada so not sure how it is where you are.

Quote:

And that video, rofl! I really laughed at the end when the guy sort of rolled and tried to smash the piece of wood! Chickenpets, I'm not so sure I have a place where they teach Tang Soo Do nearby, although it does sound pretty cool. If I do have the chance I'll check out a Tang Soo Do class.

rofl...I HOPE YOU LIKE PAIN!

#20 Old 01-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to do Kung Fu...and it was one of the best things ever! I was not in shape at all (was quite overweight actually) but was still able to get a lot out of it! While I did it I lost 30 pounds.

My classes were built around a self defense system where we also had classes learning how to disarm guns and knives etc. We also did sparring and grappling. I was the only girl in my class to ever show up for grappling! Sparring was my favorite because we got to put on equipment and beat the crap out of each other.

I was going to get into weapons and heavy training when I was forced to moved away from my school. I've now gained all my weight back...but I hope to get back into it sometime!

Do yourself a favor and get into martial arts! I really think that everyone should!
#21 Old 01-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i think it really depends on what you are looking to get out of it. are you interested in learning self defense, are you looking to get fit and increase flexibility, balance, etc, or are you just looking for a fun way to get active?

personally i would love love love to learn kung fu but i know i'm not physically fit enough to do very well at it right now, plus i just plain can't afford lessons in anything at the moment. i'd also like to give tai chi a shot for the flexibility, balance and breathing. it's not just for little old ladies at the park, anyone of any age and fitness level can benefit from tai chi

i would suggest researching before you choose. first find out what is available in your town, which schools are authentic vs modern, maybe call around and get some prices, and then hit the net and look into the demands and benefits of each

I'm looking for all of those things combined. Kung fu seems interesting, but I think all Martial arts look interesting! I'm hoping to get a job soon, so I could hopfully pay for a class. Tai Chi is for anybody who wants to try it out. The schools around me are either MMA or Kendo, and a BJJ one, but I'm not into that one.

#22 Old 01-16-2011, 05:25 PM

@Spherion, then I might try Muay Thai at a later time when my money is a bit more stable. The prices of different classes vary, but that's the only place that's the closest and that was the price... @Her Jazz, so in Kung Fu you grapple? I can do that. Did you also throw others on the mat? I can't do that, my has been hurt before and I don't want to hurt it again. I will get into Martial Arts, I just need the money to do it!

#23 Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM

I currently take Kung Fu. In the style I'm learning we don't do any throws as far as I know. My instructor has described it as more of a full body style compared to Karate and other styles. Each school and style will most likely be a little different. I've only been taking classes for a year, but love it. I learn a lot and it's a lot of fun. I was in good shape before I started taking classes. However we have people of all ages, sizes, and physical condition in our class. I've actually recently changed my weekly exercise schedule so that it helps me in martial arts.
#24 Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I took Northern Style Shao Lin Kung-Fu and absolutely loved it. I have since moved and am looking for something similar. Kung-fu is great because there are so many styles. You don't have to be agile or even strong and you can still do kung-fu. Yes, there are some kung-fu styles that absolutely require agility and/or strength, but other styles don't necessarily require that.

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
#25 Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I take Tae Kwon Do and absolutely love it. I would highly suggest that you visit several schools to get a feel of the personality of them. The school I attend has a very friendly family atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, our workouts are intense. Our school is bursting at the seams, everyone that goes, loves it! Most people start by bringing their kids, waiting until their first belt testing and then they hop right in. It's a fantastic workout, especially for people like me who need variety. I would rather stick forks in my eyes than run on a treadmill! It has also been such a confidence builder for me. When you do something you love and see yourself progress, you can't help but feel good about yourself!

My own little story healthwise. I have back problems and had gained quite a bit of weight because if it. On a normal day, I was unable to walk much past 5 o'clock because of it. I was depressed! I took my boys to our local TaeKwonDo school and watched them for 2 weeks. I had taken another style 20 years prior and I couldn't help but jump in. It was fun, it dragged me out of my comfort zone, and I loved it! My instructors did and do know about my back problems. I did what I could in the beginning and now, I rarely have problems w/ my back at all. Maybe it was from building up muscles or maybe it was because I lost a ton of weight. Which ever be the case, I'm a new person now. Don't be afraid to try. As with anything, you just might surprise yourself!
#26 Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM

I have been teaching martial arts for 12 years. I've been studying for almost 28. The best advice I can give you is to check out all of your local schools - and pick the one that feels like it will fit best with you. Most martial arts will be great for fitness, and teach you some self defense skills. But, it doesn't matter how great an art is ...if the instructor is sub-par.

After you've been training a little while, you'll start to develop stronger likes such as kicking, grappling, punching etc. Then you can specialize in that department.

Most of all ...get started!!

Joe

Active Vegetarian - Popular New Plant Based Eating Podcast on iTunes

http://www.activevegetarian.com
#27 Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM

I've been doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu for 2.5 years and I've lost about 60 lbs over that time. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you have about it. My gym also has an MMA program but we focus on jiu-jitsu. I take the boxing/kickboxing/MMA classes on occasion as well and I often help our pro MMA fighters prepare for their upcoming fights.
#28 Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I was thinking of taking up a Krav Maga class myself, anyone able to recommend it? It's something like $25 per month for up to 5 classes a week (depending on if you can make them, I could probably make at least 3), and I can try it for free to start with...

I've done boxing before, so I'm fairly confident with punching, but I'm a little afraid to do anything which involves kicks, as I'm not flexible. I don't know though, because this class is marketed to women's groups, it might be a little less scary and men made out of biceps...?

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#29 Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM

iv been doing kickboxing for about six or seven months i think. i started off pretty unfit, and after a month of two lessons a week i was fine with it. well, its still really tiring and stuff but not in an 'oh noes! im dieing!' sort of way. and its really fun. you only need five techniques for the first belt, so you get kind of eased into it, in a slightly brutal way if that makes sense. im quite a bit fitter now, though thats probably a bit to do with going vegan...anyhoo, my point: i would recommend it.

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#30 Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Practiced Tomiki/shodokan aikido and some aikikai aikido for a few years and we did quite a bit of throwing, joint locking, randori with multiple attackers and weapons training (tanto, bokken and jo). Grappling seems to be my preference over hitting. In aikido, a major point is to break the other person's balance and/or use their force against them. It's great for police to learn (there were some at the aikikai dojo I went to) because it's possible to subdue an attacker without inflicting any serious injuries. I started up mainly because I loved aikido philosophy and it really helped me get out of the house. The classmates and instructors I had were very welcoming and I felt I could learn at my own pace. The dojos were also non-profit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

Once my latest depressive episode is sorted out, I plan to return.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page