Purchasing a home gym? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't like going to the gym. I'd rather work out at home, so I was thinking about ending my $70 a month membership, and using the $ to purchase a home gym.

Any advice appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 AM

have you done any weight training before ??
#3 Old 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought a stationary bike and a rowing machine at yard sales, though I see them at 2nd hand stores too, sometimes better than mine also cheap. $25 & $20

It's a lot easier to be motivated when it's staring you in the face. Also you can tie it to TV watching or video watching. Have some music cds with rythym and speed to keep your speed up. It's fun. And you can get super cheap foam for the floor to do exercises on and a pillow.

It's also good when the weather is not so great and any other reason to "not go to the gym", lol.

worth looking into, I say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I've gotten home fitness equipment a few times. they always end up being very expensive coat racks....

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Get some dumbbells,a couple of workout DVDs... and a hula hoop. You don't need a bunch of expensive stuff to get in shape.
#6 Old 10-25-2010, 01:02 PM

My husband and I purchased a very nice home gym and treadmill about 6 months ago. At first, it was hard to find the motivation to use it (I always enjoyed the gym atmosphere). We were both avid gym goers for almost 10 years before deciding to stop wasting our money, and put a years worth of membership fees to setting up our home gym.

There are good and bad points to both the gym and a home gym, you just have to decide what works best for you. I'd still prefer the variety the gym has to offer, however given that I have a 2 year old son, being able to work out at home is more practical.

Overall, you just need to decide what you want in a gym/home gym, your motivation level, and any other factors that may sway you one way or another (kids, working hours, space at home, etc).

As far as the money is concerned, we pretty much splurged on a nice home gym that would suit our needs. Depending on your personal situation, this may be much more (or much less) than you need. We also decided to purchase a good quality treadmill (I am an avid distance runner).

We did need a few things to supplement our setup, just to make sure we had a well rounded gym to suit our needs, but we found additional stuff second hand for a really good price.

I'll say it one more time......what you do depends on your personal situation. For some people, a few free weights and a workout video is all they need. For others, more is required. There is working out for general fitness, then there is seriously training. What category do you fall in to>

Vegetarian since 1/4/2010

Did you know that 1 in 100 babies are born with a congenital heart defect? Mine was 1 in 100.....proud mom to the strongest kid I know!!
#7 Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I would HIGHLY recommend only buying some free weights as equipment and purchasing a dvd workout program that focuses on interval training. This is a fantastic way to drop weight, tone up and inprove indurance all while not requiring any equipment. You use your own body weight as resistance and you can add in free weights if you want even more of a challange.

Hubby and I both use a 2 month program called "Insanity". We have seen amazing results and cancelled our pointless gym memberships. (We got better results from the home workout vs. the gym)

A new one called "Asylum" will be coming out this fall and I can't wait to get it!

Look into it before purchasing limited gym equipment

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving
#8 Old 10-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

$70 a month is kind of steep. At least two outfits in my area (Gold's Gym and YMCA) have plans that are maybe one-half to 2/3 of that price.

I'm afraid I wouldn't use it if it were in my house. I also don't want the clutter. And not to get morbid, but if something happened to me at the Y, someone on hand could call an ambulance.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#9 Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 PM

The equipment you should buy should be based off what you will do. Not hope to do but actually do. If you are unsure, buy some weights. They won't take up much space and if you do need a gym environment/membership to encourage you to work out, you won't be out much money.
#10 Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Banned

You could always do something like 90X or Insanity (which doesnt require weights) and see how it goes.
#11 Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 PM

if you want to purchase a gym for your personal use then much expansive try to getting a membership of a regular gym dear

health savings account minnesota

health savings account minnesota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page