Breast Cancer walks and animal testing... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I want to join in on the Alaska Run for Women and I emailed (because they don't have a freaking phone number) about animal testing, but will they lie? can they lie?

Do you participate in runs that donate to animal testing charities (such an oxymoron).

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Stuff like that is really big in the UK, and the biggest events are all run by charities who test on animals. I was looking in to doing a charity cycle ride recently, but it's pretty hard to find one that isn't organised by someone with a handin vivisection. I think once I've done a bit more riding I might try to organise a little event just for people who want to know that their money and support is going towards charities using humane (and scientifically valid!) methods.

Maybe the PETA website has a list of charities? And, I suppose there's an American Anti-Vivisection Society or something? They should have a list, the UK equivilents do.
#3 Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

Their website makes it pretty clear:

With a record field of 5,487 participants, approximately $170,000 was generated for the grants program. Of that, a minimum of 70% went to Alaska organizations concerned with breast cancer outreach, education and early detection. Approximately 30% went to breast cancer research projects. http://www.akrfw.org/welcome_10.htm

You can bet some of that money is spent on animal research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Their website makes it pretty clear:

With a record field of 5,487 participants, approximately $170,000 was generated for the grants program. Of that, a minimum of 70% went to Alaska organizations concerned with breast cancer outreach, education and early detection. Approximately 30% went to breast cancer research projects. http://www.akrfw.org/welcome_10.htm

You can bet some of that money is spent on animal research.

That's so obnoxious =/ I hate that. *sighs*

*grumbles and walks around the house annoyed* Why can't there be NON-chairty runs around here.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#5 Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricGaia View Post

That's so obnoxious =/ I hate that. *sighs*

*grumbles and walks around the house annoyed* Why can't there be NON-chairty runs around here.

Why not organise a run that benefits the local animal shelter or something close to your heart?
#6 Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM

I had a street fundraiser working for Cancer Research UK come up to me today. I told her I didn't support that charity because they carry out animal testing. She looked like she wanted to say something back to me. Probably along the lines of "oh but what if someone you loved got cancer."
#7 Old 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post

I had a street fundraiser working for Cancer Research UK come up to me today. I told her I didn't support that charity because they carry out animal testing. She looked like she wanted to say something back to me. Probably along the lines of "oh but what if someone you loved got cancer."

The response to that is 'I support Macmillan Cancer Support which provides immediate first hand support for cancer victims and their families and does not test on animals. Cancer research just gives money to pharmaceutical companies who keep coming up empty handed while torturing thousand of dogs, cats and other animals.'
#8 Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The response to that is 'I support Macmillan Cancer Support which provides immediate first hand support for cancer victims and their families and does not test on animals. Cancer research just gives money to pharmaceutical companies who keep coming up empty handed while torturing thousand of dogs, cats and other animals.'

Oooh, is Macmillan OK? I wasn't aware. I think they have some events I can tag along with. WIN.
#9 Old 05-04-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Oh believe me, I would have had an answer for her!
#10 Old 05-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldman_dancing View Post

Oooh, is Macmillan OK? I wasn't aware. I think they have some events I can tag along with. WIN.

Yeah. MacMillian does good work, too. A list of charities and if they test or not is here: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...riments//281//
#11 Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah. MacMillian does good work, too. A list of charities and if they test or not is here: http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMP...riments//281//

Cheers, I knew I'd seena list *somewhere*

Aside from the fact that I need to do about 12months training, I 'll use that list to pick a charidee for when I do some real distance.
#12 Old 05-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Veggie Regular

My mom and her boyfriend went to one for Susan G. Komen, who I think are the ones who have all that KFC crap going on. I wanted to tell her not to donate to them, but I knew it would just cause an argument. It's nice to know that there are charities who don't fund animal testing who you can donate to, I might do that sometime if I find myself with extra money.
#13 Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Do the pharmaceutical companies really come up empty handed? I thought the prognosis for most cancers was getting better and better? Or am I just buying into the propaganda?
#14 Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Do the pharmaceutical companies really come up empty handed? I thought the prognosis for most cancers was getting better and better? Or am I just buying into the propaganda?

Oh sure there are more treatments for cancer but that also means more profits for pharma companies. I would also think that earlier and more efficient cancer detection is responsible for improved prognosis and survival rates at least as much as whatever pharam companies are pumping out.

The real kicker is this: pharma companies make billions in profit from treating cancer. Just imagine if one of their scientiets develoiped a miracle drug that actually cured cancer with one course of pills that costs $100 per course. While it would be a fantastic thing for humanity, for pharma companies it would be an economic disaster. They would lose billions in profits. For all we know pharma's may be sitting on cancer cure now while raking in profits.
#15 Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh sure there are more treatments for cancer but that also means more profits for pharma companies. I would also think that earlier and more efficient cancer detection is responsible for improved prognosis and survival rates at least as much as whatever pharam companies are pumping out.

The real kicker is this: pharma companies make billions in profit from treating cancer. Just imagine if one of their scientiets develoiped a miracle drug that actually cured cancer with one course of pills that costs $100 per course. While it would be a fantastic thing for humanity, for pharma companies it would be an economic disaster. They would lose billions in profits. For all we know pharma's may be sitting on cancer cure now while raking in profits.

Isn't the better detection all linked in with the research though?

EDIT: I'm not defending animal testing at all, I'm just wondering what the deal is
#16 Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

Every time I see someone excitedly going on about the Cancer Research UK run they're going on, I feel so sad but unable to say anything. Generally people think I'm a total monster for caring more about lab rats than people dying of cancer, which is how they see it though it's far too simplistic.

I try and recommend Macmillan instead but people think they're being more charitable by helping organisations that look for a cure.
#17 Old 05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Taylor,

Thanks for your inquiry. I'll try and answer as much as I'm able and will also cc members of our grants committee who will likely have additional information.

The funds we raise do not go to any one charity. Each year, we accept proposals, most of which come from Alaskan organizations. We support a variety of breast cancer-related programs that help to educate people about breast cancer and early detection, provide assistance to low-income women for mammograms, support breast cancer survivors, and a number of other efforts. At least 70 percent of what we raise goes to these types of programs. Our policy is to allocate up to 30 percent of what we raise to research. The organizations receiving the research funds have been both local and national. We used to contribute those dollars to the Komen Foundation, but have not done so for a number of years, primarily because we were not able to get information on how our funds were used. I don't know if any of the research or research organizations we have funded recently use animal testing. I'll defer to the committee members to see if they know.

Carla Beam

I feel slightly better, but still =/ I hope she gets more info for me.

Quote:
#18 Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Isn't the better detection all linked in with the research though?

EDIT: I'm not defending animal testing at all, I'm just wondering what the deal is

Not really. For example, earlier detection for breast cancer is actually linked to advertising campaigns to educate women on how to examine themselves and when to go to the doc. This raising of awareness has nothing to do with pharma companies but has the effect of making more women look for lumps and finding them earlier. Early detection means more chance of treating it successfully.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page