planning for my first marathon! - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I am excited that I am now really looking forward to my runs and am actually starting to get a bit of an insatiable appetite for the runs. Then again, I am a very driven person, so running is right up my alley. I always had that drive - it was just that I kept moving up too much in mileage and speed work and would get injuries and have to keep taking steps back. But, fingers crossed, so far so good. And, no matter how much I want to get out and run, I am making sure I do not attempt any more than I am scheduled for. I have felt really healthy lately and, other than some soreness (especially after my second-straight weekend of running 12 miles), have been completely fine physically. Of course, if something happens, I'll cross that bridge then and simply pick myself up, adjust my goals and keep going forward.

As far as the Seattle Marathon goes, as long as I stay healthy I am obviously going in with a goal simply of finishing, preferably by running (slowly) the whole way. I will leave goals like running for time and pushing those types of limits for later marathons. Right now I just want to do one and get my regular weekly mileage up to a higher level than it has been for the past several years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Veggie Regular

And just like that I am seriously concerned I am overtraining. I was honestly feeling as excited as I wrote in the above post about my training but today all of that came to a screeching halt. Out of nowhere I was completely out of it all day but figured my 8-mile run will get me out of my doldrums. So not the case. If anything, I am even more exhausted now. And after researching symptoms of overtraining, I am definitely exhibiting fatigue, difficulty sleeping, emotional instability and a loss of enthusiasm for running. Otherwise I have felt sore off and on after tough runs, but those always completely disappeared within 24 hours.

Now, since all of this came upon me completely suddenly today, I am unsure what to make of it. I guess it could be unrelated due to something I ate or due to the unseasonably warm temperatures where I currently am. For now I am going to take a couple days off and not do my 14-mile run until Monday at the earliest, giving me two complete days off in the meantime. If I feel rested by Monday and looking forward to the challenge of a 14-mile run, I will probably do it. But if I feel anywhere like I do now, I will not and will consider delaying my first marathon since I want to ensure it will be a positive experience and not one where I am dragging myself through the 26 miles.

If anybody has any thoughts or advice, feel free to share. Otherwise I will keep you updated on Monday or Tuesday as to how I am feeling, if I did the 14 -mile run and, if so, how it went.
#63 Old 10-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I am going to play it safe and make an adjustment to my short- and long-term goals.

Physically I actually feel really good other than that one day I mentioned in the above post. However, I have realized that mentally/emotionally I have definitely been exhibiting the signs of overtraining. And I don't want to push it and cause physical breakdowns (injuries). Also, I am not sure I like this training plan I took up where I am running just three days a week most weeks, even if my total miles per week are decent.

So, after realizing that my long-term goals (looking a few years into the future) are to run well enough to easily qualify for the Boston Marathon and discovering that focusing on 10K training just may be the best way to get there, that is what I am going to now focus on. To be safe, I will remain at my base mileage (around 20-25 miles a week) for a month or two before I start focusing on 10K training. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have been injured too much the last several years, so I want to do my best to ensure the chances of that happening in the future are small.

Also, I like the idea of getting faster and focusing on running well in 10K and similar races ranging from 5K to half marathon. Then I will start focusing on running a marathon. For me personally, I don't want to just run a marathon, I want to run it quickly. Of course, as with everything in life, I will remain flexible with my running goals and may change them in the future, but right now that it is what I have in my sights.

So, I will go ahead and end this thread here. If anybody has any comments or questions, I will come back here and post and answer them, but if this is the last post, I will simply let this thread slowly head back to the archives. Thanks everybody for reading and for the support. Even though I am putting off my marathon for a while, perhaps as long as years, do know that I am very vested and excited about my running - it just will be more focused on speed and shorter distances for the foreseeable future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page