Pcos? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 PM

I was curious to see if there are any other women here with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I was diagnosed when I was 14 years old, I'm 20 now.

I've been prescribed birth control, metformin, & spironolactone. I've actually been feeling a lot better ever since I gave up meat though.

Anyways, anyone else here a "Cyster"? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

they thought I was, turns out its just that my hypothalamus isn't working properly.. not sure if that's better or worse.. But I have no estrogen(or very little? They didn't specify... well little enough that I was going through menopause and didn't get my period)!

#3 Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I always thought I had. I have alot of the symptoms. I'm going next week to get an ultrasound for cysts on my ovaries (even though I've read that you can still have PCOS without the cysts).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM

I was diagnosed with it when I was 14 as well. I am 23 and I still don't have periods on my own. Because of how far away I live from a woman's clinic and my financial situation, I am currently not taking hormonal birth control like I should (though even when I take it, it doesn't make me feel better). The last time I had an ultrasound (6 years ago!!!) I had many pea-sized cysts. I hope to get an ultrasound again soon because I fear that they have grown in size, because I experience extreme cramps often though I don't get periods. It feels like someone is squeezing my ovaries!

Also I fear that I am infertile because of it. Some doctors like to downplay PCOS, but it really can be serious. The last doctor I saw didn't even give me a pap smear, she treated me like I had a common cold or something.
#5 Old 05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megera View Post

I was diagnosed with it when I was 14 as well. I am 23 and I still don't have periods on my own. Because of how far away I live from a woman's clinic and my financial situation, I am currently not taking hormonal birth control like I should (though even when I take it, it doesn't make me feel better). The last time I had an ultrasound (6 years ago!!!) I had many pea-sized cysts. I hope to get an ultrasound again soon because I fear that they have grown in size, because I experience extreme cramps often though I don't get periods. It feels like someone is squeezing my ovaries!

Also I fear that I am infertile because of it. Some doctors like to downplay PCOS, but it really can be serious. The last doctor I saw didn't even give me a pap smear, she treated me like I had a common cold or something.

I wouldn't worry about hormonal birth control for PCOS I have read a lot of literature advising against Hormonal birth control as a medication for PCOS, especially when used long term. Unless you are suffering from the symtoms of very heavy periods regularly I personally wouldn't be taking it, unless you need it for birth control.
#6 Old 05-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 19. It explained a lot of things for me including weight issues and very painful periods. I was on the pill for some years but went off it at 22 in an attempt to cleanse my body of all medication. The best 'treatment' I found for it was weight loss (low carb vegan) and a LOT of exercise. I fell pregnant the first attempt too, which I think is good for other sufferers to hear in case they are worried about it.
#7 Old 12-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I know this thread is old, but I'm posting here anyway because I recently was told that I most likely have PCOS and I'm looking for some support/advice. It seems like a lot of people were diagnosed pretty young - I'm 28. Is that out the ordinary? I've had heavy/painful periods most of my life, and my period has always been pretty irregular. In the last few years I've gained a lot of weight. Part of it is that I've had a lot of knee surgery and limited physical activity as a result, but it seems disproportionate. I'm also hungry all the time, and I get shaky if I don't eat for a while. In the last year, I've noticed that I have more hair at my temples (almost like tiny sideburns) and the hair on my upper lip, which was never noticeable, has darkened and now I have to bleach it or wax or it's visible. I also developed a little "treasure trail" on my tummy, just below the belly button. My periods have also gotten VERY irregular. I'll skip for a few months at a time, and I just ended a 2 month long period. I literally had my period for more than 60 straight days. Every time I'd brought up the irregular periods, I was told by docs that it was a side effect of having anesthesia (which DOES tend to make me a lot more irregular). But a 60 day period is a lot more than just anesthesia throwing my system out of whack, and the last doc I saw told me that she strongly suspects I have PCOS and that I need to make an apt with a gynocologist and have an ultrasound and some bloodwork. So this week I have to make an apt and see what's what.

I'm a bit freaked out (though doing my best not to jump to conclusion until I have a definite diagnosis) and wondering what this'll mean for me if I have PCOS. Will there be something I can do to help with the weight? If they can get my hormones and insulin back to some semblance of order will I lose weight? Another thing that's been happening is that my feet go numb sometimes without any apparent cause. Do I need to be worried that it's a sign of possible diabetes?

Any advice from gals with PCOS on what sort of tests they'll do, what meds I might have to take, and what the long-term looks like?
#8 Old 12-28-2009, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 14. I've always had irregular periods, getting them maybe twice or three times a year since I was 11 and every time I got them, they were extremely painful and horrible. The hair above my upper lip is quite dark and annoyingly visible so I have to wax... Earlier in the year I got a blood test done, the results showed that I had a hormonal imbalance - enough estrogen but too much testosterone in my body and I also got an ultrasound which pretty much confirmed my diagnosis.

The medication that was suggested for me was birth control pills which I refused to take because I'm only 15 now and my Mum's read some pretty bad stuff about girls my age taking the pill so we're still looking for other options. As for the long-term, I'm really not sure but maybe ask your doctor or gynecologist, they'll know a bit more about it than I do.

I hope I've answered your questions as well as possible!!
#9 Old 03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I wanted to bump this to find out if being Veg has helped anyone with PCOS. I was semi-diagnosed with it before I got pregnant with my (almost) 3 yr old. Nothing was ever done about it because I did become pregnant. But now we have been trying to have another baby for 2 years with nothing. We don't have ins currently so I can't see a dr about it right now. Any ideas of what to do, or more of a what have you done?

Thanks!
#10 Old 03-21-2010, 06:07 PM

I was diagnosed at 18. I went away to college and *poof* my periods disappeared. I went to the doctor when I was home over Thanksgiving and through an ultrasound, determined I had PCOS.

I've taken Provera, then Metformin for a year, and now I'm on Yaz (which is definitely my favorite med). I'm 20 now.

When you look at me, I don't have any obvious symptoms. I don't have any facial hair, I've never had acne, and I'm one of the thinner "cysters". I do have all of my weight on my stomach though, which is quite annoying. And my periods were terrible. When I was 13, I could bleed through a super plus tampon in 20 minutes.
#11 Old 03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Beginner

I was diagnosed with pcos about 6 months ago...I'm 32 and had gone off the pill after 10 years last May (not to try to get pregnant, just to be off medication and live more "naturally"). I didn't get a period after stopping the pill, so I went to the dr. and they did an ultrasound and found the small cysts all over my ovaries and determined I had pcos. They tested my blood sugar levels and everything tested normal so I don't have to take any medication for insulin resistance. I did just go back on the pill though because I feel like I'm on the brink of developing a stache, and the hair around my lady parts seems to be increasing too. So hopefully the pill will help normalize my estrogen levels and prevent further hair growth. I hate the idea of taking a pill for vanity reasons, but that's the plan for now! I don't have a weight problem and am holding out hope that a healthy diet and exercise will ward off weight gain. Only time will tell...
#12 Old 05-30-2010, 07:31 AM

I wanted to revive this thread also.

I've struggled (and I do mean, STRUGGLED) with PCOS since I was 16. It has been such a huge scourge in my life. Eating away at my self-esteem and body image. I'm now 21 and I have been through the entire mill. Birth control, spironolactone, metformin, keyhole surgury to remove cysts.... Nothing helped the least bit.

I got so frustrated, I dumped all my meds and went extremist. Without realizing it, I "cured" myself in three weeks by doing a water fast the first week, and then continuing a strict raw vegan diet afterwards, supplementing with evening primrose oil, spearmint tea and lots of soy. It was like being given a whole new body! My skin is clear and soft, my hirtuism is 75% gone (I had very severe hair growth, which was one of my biggest concerns), and I have energy, no headaches, and best of all, regular hassle-free periods.

It was as hard as kicking any other addiction (which is a whole 'nother story for another time) but eliminating processed foods of every kind, all gluten, lowlow carbing, and essentially eating raw and vegan of course, really will give you a gigantic improvement in your symptoms.

I wish everyone knew about this, as I would have done this YEARS ago if I only knew there was a natural cure. Or, as much of one as you can expect.

I'm going to my gynecologist in a few months to see if the cysts have gotten smaller. I'm sure I'll knock her socks off with my results though!

DON'T GIVE UP, GIRLS! Yes, it's hard, and no, it's not fair, but you yourself hold the key to getting better!
#13 Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Beginner

Wow, triggerhippie, you and I have more than just horses in common! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was unable to get pregnant, but my problems started long before that. I basically stopped having periods around age 16, and I still do not have them unless I take progesterone to force them to start. I am fortunate not to have too much of an issue with facial hair and only minor acne problems, but weight has always been a huge issue for me.

I am really curious about your diet. How low carb are we talking here? No grains of any kind? No sweet potatoes? Just veggies and fruits? I have also heard conflicting things about soy for women with hormone imbalances. Some say they are fine in moderation, others say to avoid them at all costs. It is all so confusing!!! I would love to hear details about your diet, like what does a typical day look like for you?

Thanks for reviving some great old threads too!
#14 Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

hirsutism is my big issue too besides secondary infertility. I could never go raw though...and yeah can you give us a general run down of what you eat for a day or week, or something? Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page