What can cause period to be late? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard stress can do it, is that true? I niormally satrt on the 10th or aorund there every month and so far..No period yet, almost a week late and im kinda worried. Also i ehard lack opfg sleep can do it too, set your menustraul cyccle off? and no lol....im a virgin so no chance im pregnant. Iv been satuing unil until sometoimes 6am and tehn get up again around 11am and this is reptty much my slepe cycle for past few months. Dunno if thats it mybe, any suggestions would help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned

urgh... holy typos lady. i thought i was bad.

ok, well, lots of things can mess you up like that. stress, for one, is a big messer-upper of the periods. change of schedual, for another (planning a holiday is guaranteed to mess my schedual right up). diet can do it too- not eating properly. so can lots of vigourous excerise, getting ill, worry- worry is bad for keeping it from starting, for me- the more you worry, the later it gets, until you stop worrying and relax, then it happens.

if its usually about the 10th that you get your monthly visitor, that suggests you run on a 30 or 31 day cycle. don't forget that february (last month) was a 28 day month. thats 3 days gone right there- which'd make you really due on about 13th this month. if you started getting a bit tense about the 14th, worrying why you were 4 days late (you weren't, the calendar was off, is all) then that just makes you 3 or 4 days late tops now, which could totally have been caused by the worrying.

i'd be inclined to veiw this as a bit of a random blip on the radar, and decide to just not get phased by it, and then see what happens. i bet it'll show up out of the blue in a bit. if nothing shows up in a month or so, go see the doc for a quick check up.
#3 Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

urgh... holy typos lady. i thought i was bad.

ok, well, lots of things can mess you up like that. stress, for one, is a big messer-upper of the periods. change of schedual, for another (planning a holiday is guaranteed to mess my schedual right up). diet can do it too- not eating properly. so can lots of vigourous excerise, getting ill, worry- worry is bad for keeping it from starting, for me- the more you worry, the later it gets, until you stop worrying and relax, then it happens.

if its usually about the 10th that you get your monthly visitor, that suggests you run on a 30 or 31 day cycle. don't forget that february (last month) was a 28 day month. thats 3 days gone right there- which'd make you really due on about 13th this month. if you started getting a bit tense about the 14th, worrying why you were 4 days late (you weren't, the calendar was off, is all) then that just makes you 3 or 4 days late tops now, which could totally have been caused by the worrying.

i'd be inclined to veiw this as a bit of a random blip on the radar, and decide to just not get phased by it, and then see what happens. i bet it'll show up out of the blue in a bit. if nothing shows up in a month or so, go see the doc for a quick check up.

Yeah, probably nothing to worry about. I mentioned to my gyno once that in 6 months, I'd only had 2 very light periods, and she said it just happens sometimes. Stress, poor diet, bad sleep habits, it can all affect your cycle.

If you're still worried about it, though, then of course talk to your doctor to put your mind at ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a proven fact that failure to attend to one's spelling, grammar, or syntax has a delaying effect on one's menstruation.

Naw, I'd say it's probably stress, like Jen said. Have you been exercising a lot, perhaps?

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#5 Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

It's a proven fact that failure to attend to one's spelling, grammar, or syntax has a delaying effect on one's menstruation.

thats why they're called periods, right? cos of the writing thing?
#6 Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

thats why they're called periods, right? cos of the writing thing?

Yeah, you only get them when everything else is taken care of and finished.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#7 Old 03-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

Yeah, you only get them when everything else is taken care of and finished.

if i could hold mine at bay so easily it'd be wonderful.
#8 Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Veggie Regular

why are you tracking your periods anyway if you're a virgin..? I don't see where the paranoia sparks from.
#9 Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Veggie Regular

^^ Because there are more causes to no period than just pregnancy

One late period or missing one altogether is nothing to write home about. Maybe you just didn't ovulate this month. It happens.

Or maybe it's just a few days late. It's crappy, but you might start getting more irregular too. Who knows
#10 Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

why are you tracking your periods anyway if you're a virgin..? I don't see where the paranoia sparks from.

its a good idea generally to keep an eye on that stuff.

suprises of the red variety that you're totally unplanned for when you're out and about and not carrying any cash and wearing white pants are no fun, for a start.

its nice to keep a record, see a pattern, and be able to plan a trip and be pretty sure that you won't spend much of it feeling crampy and tearful, too.

and its generally good to be aware of your bodies processes. sometimes losing periods or having them go very wonky is a sign of something not so great- that something isn't working quite right, or isn't happy. if they just stop, or suddenly get really heavy, etc, doctors tend to wanna know and check it out.

its just like keeping an eye on other goings on in your bottom regions. if you always poop every single day without fail and then one day notice you haven't been for a few days- or you tend to pee fairly regularly and then that all changes colour or starts to hurt or you just don't need to go at all, you might wonder why, and would really wanna tell someone who knows about these things so they could check out whats going on in there.

while being one day or even one week late just the once if you're not likely pregnant isn't a panic-stations scenario, its still unsettling to see a change if things usually work like clockwork. especially cos you can't bend over and look in there, or phone up your cervix and ask it what on earth it thinks its doing and what the delay is about and when normal service will resume.
#11 Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:

phone up your cervix and ask it what on earth it thinks its doing and what the delay is about and when normal service will resume.

Lol! , I SO wish I could do that!
#12 Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegPrincess View Post

Lol! , I SO wish I could do that!

i'd phone mine then put it on hold.
#13 Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I see, just by her first post she seems a lot younger than she is & people are usually irregular the first 2-5 years of their cycles so it seemed kind of a weird thing to do.
#14 Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

^^^ yeah.... i was a bit wonky for the first few years. it is quite common. its still perfectly ok to wanna keep an eye on it though. even if you are irregular, its good to be able to start recognising signs that things are coming, and whatnot. doesn't hurt.
#15 Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

i'd phone mine then put it on hold.

#16 Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

Hi friend... my sister has not been getting her periods for more than 3 months continuously and checking has said that nothing is wrong with her!!! i am worried any food is the reason... could anyone suggest a remedy???
#17 Old 03-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112inky View Post

Hi friend... my sister has not been getting her periods for more than 3 months continuously and checking has said that nothing is wrong with her!!! i am worried any food is the reason... could anyone suggest a remedy???

if the doctor says she's fine, she might just be fine. is she young? not underweight? eating properly?
#18 Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

i only started tracking my period when i started having sex. I regret this, as it then took a few months to find out how long my cycle was, and it caused a bit of anxiety about if i were preggers and all that!
#19 Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been keeping track of mine from the start. But its irregularity angers me. A lot. I miss when my cycle was 60-70 days long...
#20 Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison182 View Post

i only started tracking my period when i started having sex. I regret this, as it then took a few months to find out how long my cycle was, and it caused a bit of anxiety about if i were preggers and all that!

Yeah thats what I did. it is weird the first few months.. but I still don't think tracking your period before would help, since I think when you start having sex your hormones go all wonky and throw everything off anyway?

#21 Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM

The replys and info you have recieved are all true, I just want to add as a therapist that stress, lack of sleep, and dietary changes all affect the monthly cycle. With the state the world is in at this time, stress will be a constant companion. Keeping calcium levels regular and staying aware of where your hormone levels are at is important. Perhaps a hormone blood panel would give you necessary info and rule out that possibility.

I have had a very stressful life and there were times that my period stopped completely for several months at a time. My diet was not consistant and I did not supplement my body with the necessary supplements, herbs,sleep, and proper exercise and meditational behaviour needed to stay balanced.

It's difficult being a woman as balance is the name of the game in every area of life so the best of luck to you and I am so glad I am not dealing with that. Start healthy habits now and you will be prepared for the next phase of our lives; perimenapause and menapause which requires even more awarness and information so get all the info you can as you are the only one who really knows what your body needs.

Best of luck to you!

Geegirl
#22 Old 04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Could a diet change(such as going veg*n) be at fault for being late? Also, I heard if you are dieting(aka 400 or more calories under for the day) your cycle could be thrown off...are these true?
#23 Old 04-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishuponastar View Post

Could a diet change(such as going veg*n) be at fault for being late? Also, I heard if you are dieting(aka 400 or more calories under for the day) your cycle could be thrown off...are these true?

yeah- if you suddenly decrease your calorific intake, your body might well go into starvation mode and turn off non essential functions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page