Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

There was a discussion about this in another thread about a week ago. I mentioned that I would start a thread about it in the "Women's Health Issues" forum, but forgot until now.

A tubal ligation is not a very complicated procedure, even less so than in the time when my mother had it done. Back then the surgeon would make a long enough incision in the abdomen around the area of the Fallopian tubes, and it would leave a scar. Now, they only make a tiny incision just below the navel and the scar is hardly noticeable.

I had my tubal ligation 4 years ago now. Ever since I had it, my body changed. I never suffered much PMS before the procedure, my period was light, short and painless. Now? I get pretty bad pains, especially in the ovaries (usually the left side), I get overly emotional, and sometimes depressed in the two weeks before my periods and sometimes during. Sometimes, the pain is bad enough that it reminds me of contractions in childbirth. Some months, it's not too bad...but it's never the same month after month, so I get lucky sometimes.

One thing that's constant, is that my period has gotten much heavier, and longer lasting.

There has been some controversy about PTLS. Some doctors believe it doesn't exist. (those doctors would be men I assume. ) And I wish I would have read up about it before I had the surgery.

One of the possible causes is that there is not enough normal blood flow between the Fallopian tubes, ovaries and the uterus following the procedure.

This website shows some testimonials, but it may be biased since it's a tubal reversal site.

http://www.tubal-reversal.net/post_t...n_syndrome.htm

Here is an article about it.

http://www.healthsituation.com/is-po...al/2008/03/19/

What really angers me in all of this is that is seems that most doctors don't let women know about possible side effects.

I don't know what I would have done differently if I had known the risks beforehand, but at least I could have made a more informed decision.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2009, 12:20 PM

This syndrome is one of the reasons I tole my husband if he wanted us to have something permanent HE would be the one having it done. After he read about it he said anything that would give me worse PMS was just out of the question. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that!!!!
#3 Old 01-27-2009, 09:50 AM

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I never knew about this, it doesn't seem like common info and I wish more women knew about it before going into surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Beginner

I have never heard of this before but I will definitely look into it because I have been planning to get my tubes tied.I'm sorry you are going through it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page