Wondering about Morning Sickness - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi All-- I'm wondering about morning sickness and if being a vegetarian or vegan affects that in a positive way--like, in keeping you from puking all the time. I'm not preggers, but will be someday soon. I was reading something once about how a natural, veg diet can keep you from having morning sickness.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Banned

i was under the assumption that morning sickness is caused by hormones. i don't think veg*nism is gonna give you a free ride with that, but i suppose that not taking in extra hormones from meat and dairy probably wouldn't hurt.
#3 Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Every woman has different symptoms in pregnancy. I didn't experience any morning sickness, but I suffered terrible heartburn toward the end, and my digestive system has completely change since then.

I'm pretty sure it's not caused by diet, but I never did any scientific research on that, so I could be wrong lol. I think that the hormones in meat in dairy might aggravate morning sickness if it is present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

i didn't have morning sickness, but i was very tired during the first trimester. i took a lot of naps and was thankful that my schedule could accommodate that! but otherwise, i've actually had no other "pregnancy symptoms" since about week 12-13.

i mean, i've obviously been growing, feeling baby movement, and noticing changes in my hips, pelvic floor, and spine, but otherwise, i've had no other "negative" symptoms to speak of.

i do not know how vegetarianism does or does not affect this.
#5 Old 07-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for your input. I really hope I'm not a puker when I'm pregnant. I don't think my mother was, so hopefully it's genetic in that way. I'm just really afraid of throwing up. Always have been my whole life.
#6 Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

well, it would probably be a good preparation, then, to work through your fears. it's always helpful, no matter what.

a lot of women, for example, vomit during "transition" in labor (just before they give birth), as well. of course, there are also many who don't.

but i think it's always a good idea to work through fears either way. if it doesn't happen, then great, but if it does, you're not afraid of it anyway.
#7 Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM

I am veg and did not experience morning sickness, but was so, so nauseous from morning to night that I may as well have been vomitting all day-this lasted about 3 weeks for me, so not terrible. I have known two other women-one vegan, one l/o-who both experienced really terrible morning sickness. I'm not saying that to scare you, but I think it really depends on the person and think horomones do have a lot to do with it.

On the other hand, I DO believe that eating a healthy veggie diet has allowed me to have a great pregnancy so far!
#8 Old 07-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Anecdotal evidence shows that emetophobics get through pregnancy and childbirth without vomiting the majority of the time. Mind over matter.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 07-29-2008, 08:26 AM

hi

I am vegetarian and had terrible morning sickness all the way through all 3 of my pregnancies. i don't think being veggie or not would affect this.

Most other mums I know weren't actually sick at all during pregnancy although most of them did feel sick during the early months. so don't worry too much, not everyone gets it!
#10 Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess that, if it happens to me, I'll get real used to it real fast.
#11 Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Beginner

Um yeah I had to pull over driving to the gym this morning to puke my guts out. Good luck with that..
#12 Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Well,let me think...that was a long time ago...

I remember feeling very fatigued, and having nausea at random times throughout the day

and there were a few things that I loved before I became pregnant that made me queasy after,but I believe the nausea comes from hormones flooding your system.

There can be certain things that will give you heartburn later on ,however,but you'll figure that out pretty quickly.

My mom didn't throw up with any of us either, so hopefully you'll follow your mom's pattern as well.My doc told me never to let myself get too hungry,and to keep good old fashioned saltine crackers in my purse and eat a few when the nausea hit,and to eat a couple as soon as I opened my eyes in the morning,and it really did help.

SO ditto on what everyone else has said, food plays a minor role,but the nausea has to do with hormones,and it varies with the individual.AND if nausea and vomiting becomes severe, contact your doctor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page