Summer Beauty - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Any tips for health and beauty when the weather gets warm?

I make a few changes in my regimen in the summer. I just switched to a new face wash, Aquamarina from Lush. Normally I use Angels on Bare Skin, but it's been so warm in Paris and I've been sweating, I feel like I need something "purifying". I've also bought purifying masks to keep my pores from getting clogged with all the sweat. In the winter, my skin is always dry, so I need something exfoliating and hydrating. My skin is a lot better in the summer, but I need to make sure it stays luminous (dumb word but it's true) and not dull so I exfoliate every once in a while and moisturize daily (I use a Kiss my Face moisturizer).

I also wear MUCH less makeup when it gets warm. I get tons of freckles on my nose (which is really annoying because they don't go much past that, just a little on my cheeks) but I've come to accept it. In the winter I do the whole shebang, concealer, powder foundation, black mascara, powder, etc. Now that it's summer I've just been wearing a tinted Spf 15 moisturizer, concealer, and a light powder so seal. I switch to brown mascara, and wear maybe tinted lip gloss/balm (like Terra Tints) but never full-on lipstick.

I seem to want to be blonde every summer. I had dark brown hair in winter, after dying it with henna. I stopped the henna and after a few months I dyed over it with a commercial dye in lighter red...and now I'm dyeing over THAT with a nice blonde that I think will phase in nicely. I'll probably do lemon juice treatments to keep the blonde and highlight it through the summer.

Lastly I decided to try self tanner. I've never used it before, it was too pricey and I wasn't sure which one to get, but I found a nice spray one at the store today on sale. I've been using a lotion that's supposed to build up a really subtle bronze look, but I'm so freakin pale it hasn't done much. Do you self-tan? What are your favorite products?

I go even more natural in summer. I want my skin to actually show, I want to look healthy and like I wasn't just shut in all through the freezing winter. Tell me what you do to take care of yourself, both inside and outside, when the weather finally starts to heat up!

PS. Normally I live in California so I don't deal with that much of a temperature change, but after the year in Paris going through a crazy cold winter, I want to celebrate summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

In the warm summer months (Iowa heat can get excruciating), I change my diet. Since my hair tends to get dry and brittle, I eat a lot more berries (strawberries especially) because of their hydrating ability, and they make my skin smoother and my hair softer. I don't tan, I love being pasty-white, so I have to do a lot more work keeping the sun from burning me. I use the strongest water-based sunblock if I spend long periods of time outside. I don't wear much makeup to begin with, but I avoid it at all costs in the summer time. I also use a stronger face-cleanser and natural oil treatments to keep my skin clear and free from excess oil.
#3 Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I just drink loads more water and don't use Retin-A (acne treatment) because it will kill your skin in sunlight. I had a UTI once and I am NOT going through that again. So... lots of water! Yay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I drink more water and continue to moisturize my skin with something light. I used to try hard to remove all the oiliness from my skin but it just made my skin even oilier...if it becomes too dried out it will produce even more oil to compensate for the dryness. I wear sunscreen and I was planning to start some sort of gradual self-tanner like Jergans. What brand are you trying now? I also plan to buy some lip balm with built in SPF, otherwise my lips get chapped.

oh right and i'm considering waxing my legs, which i've never done before. I want to take advantage of the heat this summer by showing off my legs more often. My hair is also short and I will continue to keep it short for the summer. It keeps me so cool, compared to a bunch of long hot hair!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#5 Old 05-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmm I guess I just use a gel based or more foaming cleanser instead of a cream one like in winter, a lighter moisturiser, shave more often haha, and put highlights in my hair rather than go dark all over like I do in the cooler months. I also use different coloured make-up - I use a bronzer on my face - bare minerals have a really nice one called warmth and more peach coloured blushes rather than pink.

For self-tanners, modelco have a great one that comes out brown - not orange! - even on us pasties. Only problem is it's a spray on one and I'm hopeless at the application! Though they might have a glove too now.

I also sometimes put treatments in my hair because I love swimming and the salt water is quite drying!

Plus the spf, but that's obvious.
#6 Old 05-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I wonder, all, how do you keep from tanning? Can you tan, even if you put a high SPF on everyday, for anytime you're out in the sun? I love my pasty white, beautifully clear skin I got from going veggie, and now I want to keep it pasty white. I hate tanning, and I definitely hate being burned, which always seems to happen even with sunblock on. Any suggestions?
#7 Old 05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn View Post

I wonder, all, how do you keep from tanning? Can you tan, even if you put a high SPF on everyday, for anytime you're out in the sun? I love my pasty white, beautifully clear skin I got from going veggie, and now I want to keep it pasty white. I hate tanning, and I definitely hate being burned, which always seems to happen even with sunblock on. Any suggestions?

Isn't being pasty-white great? I'm wondering the same thing...I was only in the sun for about an hour the other day and my shoulders are burnt! I use strong sunblock, but I hate the way my skin feels after I put it on.
#8 Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

Isn't being pasty-white great? I'm wondering the same thing...I was only in the sun for about an hour the other day and my shoulders are burnt! I use strong sunblock, but I hate the way my skin feels after I put it on.

Yeah, sunblock is all slimy and gross...Plus, when you sweat, it feels like a film is dripping off of you. Yech. But, us pasty white folk have to use it. *sigh* If only there was a better way! I walked to work from my house and back-15 mins in the sun tops, strong sunblock, and my shoulders got red. Argh! I wonder how we can ever keep our beautiful skin?
#9 Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Argh! I wonder how we can ever keep our beautiful skin?

Some women did it by dressing like this.

I'm not sure whether it's the mothering or keeping her skin from burning as a redhead, but this woman doesn't look too pleased.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#10 Old 05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Veggie Regular

No, I guess I'll have to draw the line at wearing long sleeves and long pants/dresses during the hot summer months. I guess I have my price (which, in this case is being extremely uncomfortable). I guess I could carry around a parasol. They're kind of cute...Plus, I'd be unique.
#11 Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:

In case you are still wondering, I wear sunblock every day! My facial moisturizer has SPF 20, and I think my body lotion has 30. If I am going to be outside for more than 30 minutes or so I will wear SPF 70. That is really the only sure way I can avoid tanning/burning.
#12 Old 06-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbloom View Post

In case you are still wondering, I wear sunblock every day! My facial moisturizer has SPF 20, and I think my body lotion has 30. If I am going to be outside for more than 30 minutes or so I will wear SPF 70. That is really the only sure way I can avoid tanning/burning.

But doesn't sunblock make your skin oily/slimy? I've yet to find a sunblock that doesn't even feel like it's on my skin or attracts dirt.
#13 Old 06-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Spray sunscreens aren't so slimy. I dunno, you just have to test out different ones until you find one you like.
#14 Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I deifnately wash my face more often, and always remember to have some form of SPF on your face!! Mineral makeup often has spf 15 (don't take it for granted though--check!) my cream foundation (leftover from back when--likely not vegan. I use it as concealer until it runs out) has spf 30. I also bought some sunscreen from alba botanicals to put on on the days I don't feel like makeup. (I don't need much sunscreen--even without it I can be outside the entire day without burning..)

My favourite summer makeup trends right now are bright colors. I love the look of colors on the eyes and just a rosey red-pink lip stain with some spf lipbalm ontop to keep them from cracking.

^__^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page