How you deal/dealt with amenorrhea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2008, 07:20 AM

I know there's another thread about amenorrhea, but I have a different question on that topic, so I thought it would be okay to start a new one.

I'm experiencing amenorrhea currently, and I find it very hard to deal with it psychologically. I thought it could maybe be comforting if other women who experience/d it would accept to tell me how they deal/t with it. So, what caused your amenorrhea, how long did it last and how to you feel or felt about it? Also, did it cause any side effects (mood swings for example)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

i had it for a brief time due to a thyroid problem. i didn't menstruate for 4 months.

as for feelings, i dislike feeling/knowing that something isn't working right. that is, i highly value my health and this was an indication that i wasn't healthy.

at the time, i was frustrated because the dr's diagnosis wasn't validated by any diagnostic test AND he wanted me on a medication that only treated symptoms and would make me life-long dependent. i didn't want that at all. so i went off the medication, and that's when the ammenorrhea began (about 2 months after stopping meds).

during this time, i just felt called to do certain things. i went veg, then vegan; and my movement situation changed. i'd also moved to a new environment, which might have had impact.

my period came back, then i began to loose weight, and then i began to notice the connection between the thyroid (which docs had always said was "normal") and the symptoms that i had (weight gain, development of breastmilk, loss of menses). so, i started focusing on healing the thyroid through nutrition and movement (yoga specifically), and after a number of years, i was able to get normal, strong, healthy cycles.

so much so that now i'm pregnant (and i want to be!).

that's me.
#3 Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

accidental double.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was thirteen, I did not have a one for about a year or so. After that, I did have three or four periods, but they stopped for some reason even though I have not lost weight. This April, I will not have had one for a year again.

I have very bad mood swings... They probably are not fun for the people around me.

I do find it hard sometimes... I feel as if I am missing out on something... But, maybe that is just me.

I also have a feeling I probably will never be able to have children... I am going to the doctor this month, so I guess I might find out then.
#5 Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Well since I was trying to cause this condition by weight lifting...I guess I would do something special for myself to celebrate.
#6 Old 03-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I took it as a sign that I was depriving my body so much it thought that I was still a little girl. For me it was because I was not eating enough. It was one of my main reasons for "getting better" because I felt awkward as a "grown" (i know we grow into our 20s, hence the quotes) person like that. don't worry, it will come back in time.
#7 Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I actually just started today with no warning, fifteen days off a year of not having one. Odd. I probably should still go see a doctor, though, right?
#8 Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I actually just started today with no warning, fifteen days off a year of not having one. Odd. I probably should still go see a doctor, though, right?

Most definitely.
#9 Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone for your answers, it did make me feel a bit better.

I just changed my kind of pill, so it may be the reason of my amenorrhea. I also have an eating disorder.

I'm very ashamed of the amenorrhea and eating disorder, I kinda feel like I'm failing at being a woman (bad feminist, etc).

Bells, yeah I think you should see a doctor anyway. Did you see one in the past year (since your period stopped?)
#10 Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I hadnt ever had periods til I was 17! I did go see a doctor and they said it was due to low body fat %. If you have an ED that could very well be the reason. Also I know if I don't drink enough water, especially around that time of month, my periods can be delayed.
#11 Old 03-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertfluo View Post

I just changed my kind of pill, so it may be the reason of my amenorrhea. I also have an eating disorder.

I'm very ashamed of the amenorrhea and eating disorder, I kinda feel like I'm failing at being a woman (bad feminist, etc).

Don't feel bad, everyone has to struggle against being influenced by the anti-woman culture. Best of luck dealing with your ED, that should also help with your (lack of) period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page