Amenorrhea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I read in another thread (My cycle on veganism?) about how a cycle might be affected by a change in diet.

I have not had a period since I became a vegetarian/vegan eight almost nine months ago. I will not have had a period for a year this April/May.

Also, I just remembered that I took a pill, spironolactone, for about a week in May. It is a pill commonly prescribed for high blood pressure, but it can also be used to control acne. My face is usually completely clear of acne until right around my period. My dermatologist has found that spironolactone helps, but she also cautioned that a few of her patients who took it lost their periods. I assume they came back, though, after they stopped taking it.

I know I made a thread about this before, but I really do not think my weight is the problem (I was anorexic for a while). I had periods when I weighed less than what I weigh now.

Do you think my diet with a lack of hormones could be part of the problem? Maybe the pills affected my cycle?

Just want to note, though, that I am going to see a doctor this month or next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Veggie Regular

It could be a combination of things. A change of diet, Past stress on the body, Current stress, The pill. It could be something completely different. Veganism didn't effect me and it was a huge change in diet for me. Bodies work differently, Though. So I don't know. A doctor really is your best bet.
#3 Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Ammenorhea is a very VERY common side affect in restrictive-type eating disorders, esp. AN.

I've had my period at my lowest-lows and highest-highs ((weight-wise)).

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was at my lowest weight, I did not have a period. I do not think I had a period for a year or so... When I got up over 100 pounds, I started to have them again. They came every three or four months, but ever since I became a vegan and took those pills, I have not had one.

I just did a quick google search and I found this:

"Studies comparing non-athletic vegetarians and non-athletic nonvegetarians have found a greater prevalence of reduced estrogen and prolactin levels, resulting in amenorrhea. In one study, only 4.9 percent of the non-vegetarian women had irregular menstrual cycles, whereas 26.5 percent of the vegetarian women had irregular menstrual cycles. The researchers revealed the high fiber, low fat vegetarian diets were related to menstrual irregularities. Regular menstrual cycles among nonvegetarians were related to cholesterol and protein consumption."

I don't know... I am just worried that when I go to the doctor, they are going to try to convince me to start eating meat again or start adding back milk and/or eggs...
#5 Old 03-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

well, milk/eggs is a good way to get cholesterol, if your cholesterol is low. . .but in reality, you may just need to increase your fat intake in vegan ways to start with--nuts and seeds, avocados, and good oils like olive, flax, hemp seed, coconut, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page