Another "late period" thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM

Hello ladies, I just recently went from vegetarian for two weeks, to now becoming a vegan and my period is 4 days late. Normally my period is no more than one or two days late every month. I know 4 days is not a lot to freak out about yet, but I get my period religiously every month and some weird things are going on with my body.

I don't have the heavy boobs and bloating that usually occurs a week and half before my period arrives. I am cramping and certain foods are making my sick to my stomach (mostly fried, even tho vegan). I am eating soy, but limiting it to one serving per day and making sure it's non GMO.

Yesterday I took a pregnancy test and it was negative, but I've been pregnant in the past and I recall that it took about a month before it showed positive on a test. So here I am, wondering and trying not to stress, because I know that is a factor in this weird thing called menstruation. lol.

I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Changes in lifestyle can affect your cycle. Thats what the doc told me after i skipped two periods, it was because of the move to uni etc. Essentially give it time to settle down before panicking too much, you went from meat to no meat to no animal stuffs in a very short period of time, even if you don't mentally notice it it will have had an affect on your body.

Obviously make sure pregnancy is ruled out first are you on the pill or w/e? It might be worth looking into it if not - just to prevent any more scares if this is what it is.
#3 Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 PM

How old are you? How long have you had your period? Sometimes being irregular is normal in young (teenage) girls. If you're worried, see your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Fona, i'm using condoms as birth control.. I don't believe in the pill.

Animallover, I am in my 20's.
#5 Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan.dreams View Post

Fona, i'm using condoms as birth control.. I don't believe in the pill.

Animallover, I am in my 20's.

Then it's pretty possible that you're pregnant and it isn't showing up yet, give it a couple of days and try again, condoms are only like 85% effective or something.

If you're really worried and 'believe in' the morning after pill, take that to make your period happen and keep your cycle in it's normal time frame.

I still think that the change in your diet may be to blame, if it is that'll sort itself out.
#6 Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Give it some time. As others said, your body is adapting to a new food regimen, which doesn't include hormone-laden animal products such as dairy. If you skip a few more periods, then talk to your doctor.
#7 Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM

Fona, 85%? I thought it was more like 99.9%. If I am pregnant, I will fall to the ground in shock! Oh, and the abortion pill, do we really know the effect it has on our bodies? If anyone has more info, i'd like to know, but I am pro-life, so I don't know if I could or would ever take that unless it was an absolute emergency such as rape.

Romina, wait and see if I miss a couple more periods? That sounds scary. I went and had a blood test and urinalysis yesterday, for everything. It takes about a week to get most of the results back, but the urinalysis prego test came up negative.
#8 Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Fona, 85%? I thought it was more like 99.9%. If I am pregnant, I will fall to the ground in shock! Oh, and the abortion pill, do we really know the effect it has on our bodies? If anyone has more info, i'd like to know, but I am pro-life, so I don't know if I could or would ever take that unless it was an absolute emergency such as rape.

Ok, maybe 85 is a bit low (90-95% maybe), there are different statistics, depends on if they're spermacide coated or not etc etc. It's not a great form of contraception, better ones aren't even 99.9%.

The abortion pill is just an option, I'm not pro-life but better take than than resent a kid for ruining whatever plans I have for my life.

If pregnancy was that much of an impossibility why did you do a test?
#9 Old 01-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

there are a lot of factors involved in the effectiveness of condoms, just like the pill- proper and consistant use is a huge one.

have you considered a hormone-free IUD - even to use alongside condoms? it can actually be used as a form of emergency contraception- if its inserted less than 5 days after unprotected sex. obviously that'd not be the ideal use for you right this week, as you can't pinpoint a date, but its handy info to have (especially if you're not keen on the morning after pill) and may be worth considering for after you've sorted this whole late period deal out.
#10 Old 01-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Banned

Just an aside... the "Morning After Pill" is not the same as the "Abortion Pill" or RU486. The "Morning After Pill", which are just specific types of regular birth control pills, are to be taken right after unprotected sex (I think up to 3 days after) to prevent ovulation and/or fertilization.
#11 Old 01-17-2008, 05:27 AM

Give it some time, 4 days isn't much to worry about with such a big diet change

When I went vegan my period became very short and light... I'm not sure if it was on time or not as I usually rely on the pill to tell me when and I had come off it not long before.
#12 Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Romina, wait and see if I miss a couple more periods? That sounds scary.

Waiting to see if you miss another period really is not that big of a deal. Sometimes a change in diet, stress, etc. will cause you to skip. It's when you keep missing your period that is cause for concern. I think they recommend you see your doctor if you miss three in a row or are experiencing irregularity.

I'll be visiting a doctor soon... I haven't had a period since June (my situation is different than yours).
#13 Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Waiting to see if you miss another period really is not that big of a deal. Sometimes a change in diet, stress, etc. will cause you to skip. It's when you keep missing your period that is cause for concern. I think they recommend you see your doctor if you miss three in a row or are experiencing irregularity.

i really do think it depends on your situation how long you can get away with waiting. obviously if you're a virgin, or you've not had sexual contact with anyone in the timeframe, and you haven't been drunk enough to not remember something, or at risk of having been drugged during that time, its a little different situation to one where you've been 'doing it' in the timeframe concerned- which means you may well be pregnant.

waiting to see if you miss another one.... hmmm. but waiting till you miss three means you could be, i don't know..... past 14 weeks pregnant before you see a doctor? that'd really affect your options.

slightly off topic:

a friend of mine who was on the pill had a situation where she puked and felt icky for a couple weeks, got just a little chubby round the middle, and had about 6 light and/or missed periods in a row, before we finally convinced her she looked a little pregnant and sent her to the doctor. she wasn't by any means a stupid person- she had a degree, she'd not missed any pills, had an uppet stomach or taken antibiotics, everyone else had 'the puking bug' too, her sister had missed loads of periods the year before and the doctor had put it down to stress- so she assumed hers was the same considering the stress she was under, and she had been eating a lot of doritios and other junk while watching big brother over the past couple weeks. turns out she was about 6 months gone (duh!). luckily she and her husband were both overjoyed, but it might not have gone so well- even if she'd gone to the doctor after 3 months.
#14 Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM

Fona, you have a point.. but I took the test b/c your right there is that little option where one of those swimmers got through.. lol, who knows.

Hang ten, I didn't know there was a difference in the pill.. thank you for the clarification.

Well, I have good news.. my cycle arrived. I know this sounds icky, but me and my dude decided to rhomp around and bring it on down, lol. I knew it would work!
#15 Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

i really do think it depends on your situation how long you can get away with waiting. obviously if you're a virgin, or you've not had sexual contact with anyone in the timeframe, and you haven't been drunk enough to not remember something, or at risk of having been drugged during that time, its a little different situation to one where you've been 'doing it' in the timeframe concerned- which means you may well be pregnant.

waiting to see if you miss another one.... hmmm. but waiting till you miss three means you could be, i don't know..... past 14 weeks pregnant before you see a doctor? that'd really affect your options.

I meant if you know for sure that you are not pregnant... No, if I had any inkling of a thought that I might be pregnant, I would be going to the doctor as soon as possible. However, she said earlier that a urinary and blood analysis came up negative, so I thought she should just give it some time.
#16 Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well, I have good news.. my cycle arrived. I know this sounds icky, but me and my dude decided to rhomp around and bring it on down, lol. I knew it would work!

I'm glad. I bet it feels better to not have that weighing on your mind anymore.
#17 Old 01-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

it might also be noted that the cycle often moves through the course of the year. i find that mine will move from beginning of month to middle to beginning again--following the new or full moons throughout different times of the year.

so, you may be in that process as well.
#18 Old 01-20-2008, 01:24 PM

Bells.. the urinalysis said negative.. not the blood. I didn't get a blood pregnancy test.

Well.. that time I thought my cycle arrived, it was a false alarm. It only showed up for that brief moment and then dissapeared again. I am now 8 days late. My boobs are swolen and tender and I am still having pms, emotional instability, and light cramping. I'm not sure what to think now.. I am just waiting to see.
#19 Old 01-20-2008, 05:12 PM

Not to alarm you, but don't people get spotting when they are pregnant?
#20 Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Romina, wait and see if I miss a couple more periods? That sounds scary. I went and had a blood test and urinalysis yesterday, for everything. It takes about a week to get most of the results back, but the urinalysis prego test came up negative.

Am I missing something, then?
#21 Old 01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Bells.. the urinalysis said negative.. not the blood. I didn't get a blood pregnancy test.

Quote:

Sorry, I must have read this part wrong, then. I thought the blood was for pregnancy, too.
#22 Old 01-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

Not to alarm you, but don't people get spotting when they are pregnant?

Well I can now close this thread, because I got my period full on THANK GOD!! I hate the stress of not knowing what's going on with my body.
#23 Old 07-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
If this OP is still around, I'm curious how long it took for the cycles to settle down after the diet change?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page