The Gripe About Your Period Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#1 Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't see one when I did a search and I figured this was something that we could really use around here. We won't freak out all the men and women that get freaked by such mentions. If they look here, it's their own fault.

You can still put stuff in spoilers, though, if you're so inclined.

So, gripe away!

P.S. If the thread title is too blah, we can change it.

ETA: Here is the link for the reusable products discussion - Keeper/Diva Cup/Mooncup

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=73390
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2008, 02:02 AM
Veggie Regular

*raises hand*

RIGHT HERE!!!!!

I don't really MIND it by itself...it's all the social stigmatas attached that piss me off...

A woman isn't allowed to be in a bad mood, or heaven forbid, someone actually piss her off...without people just assuming you're on your period..."crazy women..."

Hell-O!!!! You're annoying butt can piss me off ANY time of the month!!!

---

My next gripe:

The fact that so many guys, and girls, are totally turned off when it's that time of the month. Some guys are willing to suck it up and 'do you' like it's a chore. But other than that...it's a sexless time of the month, and it really doesn't have to be.

That said...I do think it's fun to flick clean, wrapped up tampons and guys that annoy me...just to watch them scream and jump around like I've just thrown a live rattlesnake at them. (I'm referring to men in thier late 20s and 30s...I'm not exactly in high school anymore...it's sad, really.)

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#3 Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine does not like, why can't it happen a)every month and b)at a set time in that month?

I am not impressed by this ridiculous plan of bleeding and pain.

Doctor sent me for blood tests and found out that theres nothing wrong with me, I just have a womb whose time keeping is as bad as mine.

When I was in high school my guy friends just wanted to put my tampons in the sink and watch them grow like in the adverts. We also found out that sanitary towels are great for mopping up spilt drinks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate it because its there.

And seldom regular....I tend to fall into schedule with whoever else I'm living with, I.E. my roommate and my co-worker and I often get it at the same time, probably because the air around us is thick with estrogen Gross. I hate every single one of my "below the belt" organs, kind of a personal-phobia thing. *shrug*

The first time I tried to put in a tampon ((mind you, I was 15 and I started my menses at 11 or 12 or something ridiculous like that...too bad its never regular)) I almost PUKED. I *knew* there was another hole in there somewhere, I just didn't really know the.....errr...depth of it, for lack of a better term, heh. Wow that's pretty damn crass. Sweet deal.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#5 Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Ugh...Scorpius...that reminds me:

At 15, I had a friend whose MOM insisted she insert the tampons FOR her. Her logic was that tampons were for MARRIED WOMEN, and that there's no way her 15 year old daughter could do it by herself... (at least not until she was married and her husband showed her how everything works down there...GEEZ I hate living in the SouthEastern US)

...gravity.

#6 Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

The first time I tried to put in a tampon I almost PUKED.

The first time I put a tampon in I got it stuck and my Mum had to get it out for me!
#7 Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

Ugh...Scorpius...that reminds me:

At 15, I had a friend whose MOM insisted she insert the tampons FOR her. Her logic was that tampons were for MARRIED WOMEN, and that there's no way her 15 year old daughter could do it by herself... (at least not until she was married and her husband showed her how everything works down there...GEEZ I hate living in the SouthEastern US)

You would just wear towels.

Normally old people say that you can only use one after you've had sex, not you can only use one if I put it in.

I'd be amazed if any man could look at it while in it's bleeding glory and not pass out, let alone show someone how to insert a tampon.
#8 Old 01-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Ohmygod Ohmygod gross gross gross @ LovelyPerv.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 01-12-2008, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

*raises hand*

RIGHT HERE!!!!!

I don't really MIND it by itself...it's all the social stigmatas attached that piss me off...

A woman isn't allowed to be in a bad mood, or heaven forbid, someone actually piss her off...without people just assuming you're on your period..."crazy women..."

but see, we can also use that to our advantage. If we're in a crappy mood, all we have to say is we're on the rag or whatever (see the period euphemism thread) and the idiots bothering us will back off! When we're in a bad mood, we don't want to deal with any nonsense anyway.

But yeah, I hate it b/c it's there. I don't plan on breeding any offspring, so what's the point of having it?

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 01-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fona View Post

I'd be amazed if any man could look at it while in it's bleeding glory and not pass out, let alone show someone how to insert a tampon.

Welcome to Old Country Folk Logic 101...

Many young girls don't even know where there opening is until they have sex for the first time. That's when they learn there's more than just a pee-hole and poo-hole...and can figure out how to use tampons.

Nowadays...our state government has graced us with sex-ed classes (much to the dismay of the older parents, who think they should teach sexual issues to thier kids themselves...by never mentioning it at all) and girls are now fully aware of their parts, what they do, and why.

...gravity.

#11 Old 01-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

But yeah, I hate it b/c it's there. I don't plan on breeding any offspring, so what's the point of having it?

Same here...but I have a very hopeful uterus.

...gravity.

#12 Old 01-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

my period is all right.

especially since it's only 3-4 days now (I used to have 9-10 day periods when I first started) and I have a mooncup.

Don't hurt me! I can gripe! um ... I wish I didn't have to always buy pads for my sister and throw them out because she leaves them in the bathroom. I mean, she's 15 ffs! I was already doing this FOR HER as well as FOR ME at that age! GROW UP!
#13 Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

My uterus hurts right now I HATE CRAMPS

I am on the pill, so my period is pretty much like clockwork and it's pretty short and light. I still get cramps, even though they're better than they were before. Before the pill I used to have to stay in bed all day and they would always make me throw up!

I like being a woman and all, but I'm really not fond of my period. It's really just a nuisance...having to buy tampons and sometimes running out and not realizing it, making sure I have tampons with me, cramps, backaches, and the fact that I don't sleep as well. Pain in the ass! Or.....pain in the vagina?

I sort of want to get a mooncup or something, because I'm all for reducing waste and cutting down on disposable products, but to be completely honest it sort of grosses me out. Not because I would be uncomfortable putting it in or anything, just because the concept of a cup holding blood from your vagina and then you can like...see the blood in its liquid form really kind gives me an icky feeling. I should probably just suck it up and get one, though. I mean, what's more important? The environment, or me being unnecessarily grossed out?
#14 Old 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I just find it slightly inconveniencing, mostly because I get incredibly horny when I have my period, but it's kind of a pain to do it (messiness-wise).

I do give thanks all the time that I rarely ever get cramps. I couldn't imagine being waylaid every month or so. That would be awful!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#15 Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Beginner

The diva cup really freakin hurt when I tried to put it in, but maybe it will go in easier now. I just hate the cost of everything associated with it. Oh, and how on earth are you supposed to use those sponges when you're away from home? Buy lots of them and just carry a bag to put them in? Or rinse them in the sink and watch the other women get sick and pass out?
#16 Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I can gripe about my lack of a period... I started when I was 10 and I had regular five-day periods for two/three years, but now, they come anywhere from three to six months... I haven't had one since June and I'm starting to think something is wrong with me...

When I did have my period, I would always get blurry vision and horrible headaches... Some of my headaches even made me cry. I guess the only good thing is that I never got cramps.
#17 Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^

Sounds like it's time for a trip to the crotch-doc.

HEY...anyone else notice this?

People requested that the banner's for women-only, and teens-only be put back up...

...but the second we all start talking about our periods, the pink warning banners go right back up!!!!

...gravity.

#18 Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

^^^ hehehe.... i can picture it now... 'Hopeful Uterus and the Fibroids' appearing live in concert, with Dysmenhorrhea (death metal), Amenorrhea (christian rockers) and Hypermenorrhea (thrash punk) as the supporting bands.
#19 Old 01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a question:

A lot of you are referring to products like...Mooncups? Sponges? and items that are apparently NOT disposable?

In the US...at least in my area...we have two options: Cotton Tampon, Cotton Pad (sticks to panties). Both are disposable.

What are these other products you're referring to?

Do they work any better?

I'm sure I could find them for sale online...

...gravity.

#20 Old 01-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

there is a whole epic thread about the diva/mooncup keeper thingy, lovely perv, that'll keep ya busy reading for a week or so, but which might also answer a few questions.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=73390
#21 Old 01-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll add the diva cup link to the OP. Maybe that'll help, too.
#22 Old 01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't much hate mine except it's irregular so I don't ever know when to expect it, the first day is very heavy and it tapers off after 2 days to virtually nothing... BUT, I don't get any "warning" signs so never know when I should go out fully "prepared".

I hate the social stigma and lack of ease women have in discussing their periods.

A very short woman in the drugstore asked me to reach a package of tampons off the top shelf for her and I thought she was going to have a stroke just saying the word. I felt like yelling "Which TAMPONS did you want?" but I felt too sorry for her...

Eh, also... I get horny and even though it's a bit more of a mess and all, eh, doesn't really matter 'cause there's no one around anyway..
#23 Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

haha i love this thread! the first time I inserted a tampon I was terrified. I had to look at the diagrams in my stupid puberty books my mom gave me to figure out what exactly that opening was supposed to look like and where it was. And then I had to buy those slim tampons designed for teens (I was 14/15?) because I'm so small everywhere and it still hurt.

Anyway, I stopped tracking my cycle but I usually know when it's coming up because my lower back becomes so painful I can't stand to walk or even sit unless I have a heating bag on me. Thank goodness for Pamprin. Right now I know I am PMSing because I am totally freaking out over everything and nothing today. Ugh I hate hormone induced emotional rollarcoasters.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#24 Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

oooooh, i remember the stupid puberty book. my auntie gave me one for xmas when i was about 10. i was so horrendously embarressed by its existance, and in such denial (i had it in my head that i'd be one of those rare people who just don't get their period, cos their hormones don't kick in) that i hid it, and i refused to even read it until i was about 15 (about 4 years too late for the period info).

i was also petrified by the whole tampon thing. i was very scared i'd get toxic shock syndrome, and keel over and die (or maybe even worse loose all my fingers from blood poisoning and not even be able to manage pads after that). but by the time i was 16, i was soooo sick of what i called 'breezeblock syndrome' (walking around with a wodge of plastic that felt like it was the size of mount everest in your knickers) and on the verge of going to my doctor and demanding a full hysterectomy, that i thought i'd try and get over my repression, speak to my mum about it, and give it a go.

its now 12 years after i quit the pads ... and i'm still not dead *keeps fingers crossed for next month* and i don't have to deal with the sweaty chafing plastic wedgies of doom, or think twice and hold my breath in hope before i stand up after being sat down for ages. yey!
#25 Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Exactly. There is no point. But try to tell that to a doctor. They are all convinced that someday you will want kids, you just don't know it yet. I've been told that I am "sooo young" and I will change my mind.

Anyway, yes periods suck and I dread them. Every 3-4 months, I let myself bleed (only because I have to). It's marked in my datebook. Periods cause my IC to flare and my bladder ends up hurting just as much, if not more, than my pelvis as a whole. And I am back to peeing every 15-30 minutes and my urethra and bladder BURNS and aches. This also causes my digestion to flip the **** out and I either feel constipated or everything goes right through me. And since I'm flaring, I can hardly eat anything but toast. And I can't wear tampons or those cool looking cups so getting dressed/going out sucks big time when you have to wear pads. So I try to plan my period around how much I need to be out of the house that week. But luckily, since I am on the pill, my periods are shorter and I don't bleed as much (even with waiting months at a time) so I don't need those diaper-thick pads, just really thin ones.

I am also lucky in that my mom talked to me early and often about the female body and menstruation so I wasn't shocked by it. I was 13 and my mom and I were shopping when I got it and she took me out to lunch and I got ice cream and some new 'period panties'. One of the things my mom definitely did right was not leaving me to figure it all out on my own, like she had to do.
#26 Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't manage tampons, so I don't think I'd have any luck with mooncups either. Too bad, it sounds so much more convenient.

I get my PMS symptoms exactly a week before I get my period. I always forget this and spend that week going to the bathroom every ten minutes to see if it's come yet. The worst is when my period is a week late, because then I know I'm "due," but nope, I've got seven days of cramps first.

I used to get really heavy bleeding and bad cramps when I first started, but now it's a lot more bearable. My cramps are still pretty bad, but nothing like they were and nothing like my mother's. I remember once she was standing in my doorway talking to me and she suddenly just fell and curled up in the fetal position because a cramp hit her so hard.
#27 Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

its now 12 years after i quit the pads ... and i'm still not dead *keeps fingers crossed for next month* and i don't have to deal with the sweaty chafing plastic wedgies of doom, or think twice and hold my breath in hope before i stand up after being sat down for ages. yey!

Hahaha... That's too funny! And yeah I hate the whole fear of having been sitting down for awhile and wondering if the damn is gonna hold when I stand up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I don't much hate mine except it's irregular so I don't ever know when to expect it, the first day is very heavy and it tapers off after 2 days to virtually nothing... BUT, I don't get any "warning" signs so never know when I should go out fully "prepared".

I hate the social stigma and lack of ease women have in discussing their periods.

A very short woman in the drugstore asked me to reach a package of tampons off the top shelf for her and I thought she was going to have a stroke just saying the word. I felt like yelling "Which TAMPONS did you want?" but I felt too sorry for her...

Eh, also... I get horny and even though it's a bit more of a mess and all, eh, doesn't really matter 'cause there's no one around anyway..

I only have one friend who is truly comfortable talking about sex and periods and girly stuff. I treasure her for this. Some women just can't talk about it. Every man I ever dated was so squeemish about periods and it drove me crazy. Thankfully my Husband has no issues there. He'll go out and get me tampons (won't have to now that I have the diva cup!).

I just wish my period was shorter. I refuse to get on BC and I've been told over and over that the only way it's going to be any shorter is with BC. I've also been told that taking BC would be good for me.... which I have a hard time fathoming.
#28 Old 01-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^Though it's definitely NOT for everyone, Birth Control did make a difference for me. I was on it for 5 years and then just got tired of remembering and the hassle and all... Ever since being on BC, (10 years ago now) my period has been a great deal lighter which (for me) was a HUGE relief... it went back to being quite irregular right away though.
#29 Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Hm. Let's see, what's the best part....

Not knowing when (or if) it's coming, kind of like an earthquake.

Having to wake up (including turning on the bathroom light, etc.) in the middle of the night to take care of business (sometimes twice), hopefully before there are any leakage problems. Then there's the bonus of trying to do this without disturbing your sleeping partner.

Feeling like you're going to hurl when you wake up in the morning, knowing that the only thing that will calm it down, is to eat. Throw in enough gas to fuel your house, and an assortment of other gastro-intestinal fun as well.

The joy of heavy days. Having to plan being near a toilet, accidental spills on your clothes/undies. Washing your hands like nobody's business and basically feeling like the bleeding woman from the Bible.

Yeah.

*sigh*

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#30 Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate my period, but its just interesting to see what weird symptoms are going to happen each time. In the 12 or 13 years that i've had my period something weird happens every time. Sometimes its not heavy but I get so swollen and gain about 10 pounds just from water and feel miserable. Sometimes its very heavy but I don't gain any weight but my stomach hurts so much that I can't breathe. The pms is the worst because i've gotten more and more cranky in my old age lol. Everything bothers me and a lot of the time I don't know why i'm being so irrational until my period starts and then I get it and I try not to be around anyone for the next week. I just finished mine for this month last week, it wasn't so heavy but I felt sick the majority of the last week and I couldn't stop crying the week before. Now i'm still swollen and feel like a blimp, I hate my period its a curse to all women but i'd feel weird and unnatural if I didn't have it. Its a love/hate relationship. From what I know being pregnant would actually feel worse because it lasts for 9 months but you have your child at the end so theres light at the end.

I hate when my dad assumes that my mom has pms when she isn't as perky as usual. Maybe she is having a bad day or is tired, pms isn't the answer to everything and its especially annoying when he is the one acting weird but he assumes that its her fault. I think she's gotten used to it now after 27 years lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page