In regards to a very long period. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Alright I didn't know what else to name it so don't laugh.

I have been on my period for at least a week and a half. It sucks too. I have never in my life had a period longer than a week. If anything it's shorter than a week. And I have had some serious sharp cramps to go along with it. ( I normally have cramps that are more of a dull pain all over my lower abodmen not sharp pains like I have heard that everyone else has. I can walk with them and everything.) I had them yesterday too. I have been on my period for a week and a half and them have cramps. I only get them at the begginng of my period or before never during or hopefully the end of my period. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor in a day or two...until then does anyone know what could be wrong?

You don't have to read this but I figured maybe it would help.

I had a normall period flow

for about three days and the rest of the time it has been a really weak constant flow/just enough to have to use a light tampon. Any lighter of a flow and it wouldn't qualify using a light tampon.

I am on the shot...but I have been on it for about four years now. I am fully used to it. I haven't started or stoped any meds. I have no idea what the problem could be. My boyfriends mom said I hope you don't have a cyst. That really scared me...I have enough problems to be honest.

Any useful wisdom appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i once had a very light period for about a month during the first year on the depo shot which is quite normal, however, i'm not sure if it's supposed to happen after 4 years on it.
#3 Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

since you're on the shot, i would talk to your doctor about it.

the only time that i had a long period was when i had my miscarriage. the period lasted 11 days. it was very heavy for all 11 days. i was likely about 5-6 weeks pregnant when it happened. i was not on the pill or any hormonal birth control; our condom failed (this was prior to charting for us). the period came with very heavy cramping, a huge headache, and excessive bleeding.

typically, when one is on hormonal birth control, the process of the mensturation isn't actually mensturation at all, but a form of "breakthrough bleeding" that is induced by the absence of hormones. for the shot (depo and related), it typically comes at the end of 3 months because the hormone is basicly out of the system by then. if you then get another shot within a few days/weeks, the hormone is back in the system.

i would defnitely talk about this with your doctor and find out if you need another dosage or a different kind of hormonal BC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 09-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Did you mean to link to an article about bone loss and Depo?

Cuddlebunny..I wouldn't stress too much (especially since that can cause its own problems!) You'll see the doc in a few days.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 09-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Cuddlebunny..I wouldn't stress too much (especially since that can cause its own problems!) You'll see the doc in a few days.

I know...I'm trying not to stress over it. It's just kind of weird..since I have never had one this long in my life is all. What got me stressing was the thought that it could be a cyst in my overies or something serious. Untill then I was fine. I just didn't like it too much because my period was lasting forever.

I'm going to the doctor in the first place for her to check the amount of important vitamins and minerals in my body just to make sure I'm good/see if I'm lacking in anything...I'm going to have her check the amount of hormones in my body too. (That's a good idea whoever said that) Since she's going to draw blood might as well do both at the same time. And I'm going to ask her about the cyst thing just to settle my mind. I don't think I have one...but better safe than sorry. Thanx guys.
#7 Old 09-28-2007, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Let us know how it goes, yeah?

Men have it soooo easy.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page