is there a vegan-safe HRT for women? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

I have been searching the interenet trynig to find out if there is a Hormone Replacement Therapy that is safe for vegans............and I have yet to find anything.

I have made an appt. with my doctor to discuss my options...........but I'd like to be able to see him, knowing more about HRT that is safe for vegans.

Thanks,

susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Are you looking for a plant-based one, or one that has not gelatin in it in addition to not coming from animals?

This may be a good question to ask a pharmacist. I know we usually think of them as the guy who counts pills, but they actually know much more about drugs than doctors do.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 AM

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a "vegan safe" HRT, amongst traditional pharmaceuticals. Even those that have vegan ingredients would have been tested on animals.

That said, I think there are some plant-based remedies, as Thalia mentioned, along with some alternative therapies for many conditions for which HRT is prescribed.

Are you interested in HRT as a remedy to menopausal symptoms?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

i do not know about HRTs or replacements.

but, you might be interested in the materials by Susun Weed in regards to Menopause Metamorphosis if this is about menopausal symptoms.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Banned

Arbonne International has a great balancing cream. It is a progesterone cream that brings us back to balance. (Estrogen dominate society!)

Arbonne doesn't test on animals or have animal by-products in there products. They are certified vegan.

My mom doesn't have hot flashes anymore after using this. She doesn't use HRTs anymore either.

If you want more info please email me at [email protected]

I love telling women about this product. It really does make a difference!

Thanks,

Teresa
Old 04-15-2016, 08:25 AM

Thumbs up Vegetarian HRT options

Thank you Teresa for the info on Arbonne! I'll discuss this with my doctor.

I recently had a complete hysterectomy including both ovaries, which threw me immediately into full-blown menopause. So I'm also looking for a Vegan option to HRT...
Old 05-13-2019, 04:31 PM

Hello, I have been looking for a vegan option for inter-vaginal use for a patient of mine experiencing vaginal atrophy post-menopause. She was prescribed Vagifem which turns out to contain oestradiol, of which is sourced from pregnant mare urine, unfortunately. I have found an intravaginal cream called Ovestin is synthetically sourced and not an animal byproduct. Below is the email from Aspen, the manufacturer:

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding OVESTIN (estriol) products which was forwarded to Aspen Australia by our Global Medical Information Team.

I understand you would like to know whether estriol used in Ovestin products comes from a synthetic, animal, or plant origin.

With respect to Ovestin Ovula (estriol 0.5mg pessary), I can confirm that the estriol is of chemical origin, and the hard fat in the pessary is from a vegetable origin.

With respect to Ovestin Cream (estriol 1mg/g cream), I can confirm that the estriol is of chemical origin, and all excipients used in the cream are from vegetable origin or obtained by chemical synthesis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in