Relief for yeast infection when vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Banned

I've been going vegan or as vegan as I can get for awhile now and I've given up all dairy, including my much-loved yogurts. I am also very prone to yeast infections, especially when on antibiotics and having sex while on antibiotics.

So... last week I had to start on Amoxicillin and I've already developed a painful yeast infection and I don't know what to do to help my body be rid of it. I used to just double up on eating yogurt and that actually seemed to help. I got so desperate today that I almost bought some while at the store but didn't want to break my no-dairy streak. I have already tried soy yogurts and cannot find one that I can stomach.

Has anyone tried any natural vegan remedies that help? I want to get rid of this thing soon as I have a cystoscopy coming up and I don't want the yeast infection to get in the way of the procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-01-2007, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I could be way off track so don't take this as gospel, but there might be tablets at a health food store that you can take, if it's the acidophilus in the yogurt that helps yeast infections. I"m not really sure but maybe you can look into that.
#3 Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Buy some plain yogurt, dip the tampon in a bunch of yogurt (or fill the applicator with a bit of yogurt, without the tampon) and insert the tampon (or yogurt).

I know it sounds gross, but it helps.

Here's a site I found on a bunch of home remedies... http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/yeast_infection.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-01-2007, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy yogurt has live and active cultures in it. I usually take acidophilous capsules when I need 'em. It's the live and active yogurt cultures in a tablet or capsule (or liquid or chewable) form. You can buy them in health food stores or vitamin stores.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 04-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Please don't mess around with a yeast infection, get a prescription to kill of the yeast. You can cause damage if you allow the yeast to go unchecked.

If you are looking to add some acidopholous to your diet you could try it in capsule form.
#6 Old 04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't get yeast infections very often. i have used yogurt a couple of times and it seemed to work. but, i got one bad yeast infection and used the over the counter stuff from the pharmacy...had a cream you inject...it worked very well. if you have a bad infection you might just want to use that stuff and not mess around with the yogurt.
#7 Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Please don't mess around with a yeast infection, get a prescription to kill of the yeast. You can cause damage if you allow the yeast to go unchecked.

If you are looking to add some acidopholous to your diet you could try it in capsule form.

From my understanding, yeast itself is harmless, and is always present. It rarely causes any real problems. Only if it's bothering you does it need treatment. What damage do you feel it causes and can you site any resources that confirm this?

Bacteria and yeast keep each other in balance in the vagina. I'd be concerned about medically treating a mild yeast infection because you could OVERkill the yeast, and end up with a bacterial vaginal infection. I've successfully gotten over yeast infections with acidophilous. If you're close to your period, it may go away with your period as well because your vaginal pH goes up with your period, killing the extra yeast.

#8 Old 04-02-2007, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

A douche with diluted apple cider vinegar works well for me, I've actually started doing this weekly because my PH is off and makes me incredibly prone to yeast infections, which make my vulvodynia worse, which just plain sucks. I've done yogurt before but it gave me a rash (went away quickly, but still not fun).
#9 Old 04-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have the same problem every time I have to take an antibiotic, and I have also had great results with acidophalus. I will start taking it as soon as I take the antibiotics and it has worked every time so far.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#10 Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

From my understanding, yeast itself is harmless, and is always present. It rarely causes any real problems. Only if it's bothering you does it need treatment. What damage do you feel it causes and can you site any resources that confirm this?

Bacteria and yeast keep each other in balance in the vagina. I'd be concerned about medically treating a mild yeast infection because you could OVERkill the yeast, and end up with a bacterial vaginal infection. I've successfully gotten over yeast infections with acidophilous. If you're close to your period, it may go away with your period as well because your vaginal pH goes up with your period, killing the extra yeast.

I'll tell you about my experience with vulvodynia that I believed was caused by yeast. Last year I was put on an antibiotic, as a result I got a yeast infection, my first ever at age 36. I bought an OTC product and thought it was cured but it kept coming back. My doctor gave me diflucan which cured the yeast infection but the damage had already been done. For the last year I have been dealing with a severe burning pain in my vulva, the nerve endings are exposed without any protection from collagen. Doctors prescribed steroid creams that only made my skin thinner. I tried lidocaine, prilocaine, and gabapentin for pain relief. Finally, about a month ago my doctor gave me some estrogen cream and have had some relief from the constant pain as the collagen is starting to regenerate.

I know many women can get over a yeast infection by taking acidophilus but it doesn't do anything for me. I have had to quit eating any proccessed sugar because I am afraid of yeast infections.
#11 Old 04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My understanding is that vulvodynia isn't caused by anything but can be set off by just about anything. I never had any problems down there until I started having symptoms and was eventually diagnosed. My PH/yeast problems started later and are (as far as I know) unrelated.

If you're going to devlop vulvodynia there isn't anything you can do about it that I'm aware of.
#12 Old 04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My bf used to take acidophilus pills but I never knew it would help with yeast infections. Are they typically expensive? Right now I am just using a cream I found that I had from the last infection but these creams don't seem to do very much in terms of getting rid of it. Just a bandaid I guess.

Applying yogurt seems a little scary to me. I am very sensitive down there and anything applied internally burns and hurts like hell, which is why I hate using these OTC creams.

Is taking acidophilus a good way to balance the ph on a regular basis? How long should I be taking it for? In addition to yeast infections, I have chronic bladder infections and pain as well. But I just started taking meds to help with that. Who knew how much trouble managing my vagina would be?
#13 Old 04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I'll tell you about my experience with vulvodynia that I believed was caused by yeast. Last year I was put on an antibiotic, as a result I got a yeast infection, my first ever at age 36. I bought an OTC product and thought it was cured but it kept coming back. My doctor gave me diflucan which cured the yeast infection but the damage had already been done. For the last year I have been dealing with a severe burning pain in my vulva, the nerve endings are exposed without any protection from collagen. Doctors prescribed steroid creams that only made my skin thinner. I tried lidocaine, prilocaine, and gabapentin for pain relief. Finally, about a month ago my doctor gave me some estrogen cream and have had some relief from the constant pain as the collagen is starting to regenerate.

I know many women can get over a yeast infection by taking acidophilus but it doesn't do anything for me. I have had to quit eating any proccessed sugar because I am afraid of yeast infections.

Problem 1 here is that you aren't supposed to home treat if you've never had a yeast infection before. I personally can't use OTC topical stuff. I get horrible allergic reactions, thus if I get a yeast infection I have to get a diflucan, or home treat if it's minor.

Your experience is certainly unfortunate, but everything I've read says that yeast infections are harmless, they're just annoying. (There are rare exceptions to this, as with everything in life) If you have some research backing up the fact that they are routinely dangerous, then certainly share it, otherwise it is best not to scare people about their health without any scientific proof to back it up.

#14 Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

I was just doing some more reading on this new med I am taking for my IC and I came across an interview with a urologist who is saying that vulvodynia is common in IC patients.

Quote:
Dr. Moldwin: Vulvodynia is something we are seeing more frequently in IC patients. Vulvodynia means pain in the opening region of the vaginal vault. In many instances, vaginal pain is caused by a specific problem such as infection, allergies, lack of estrogen, etc. Unfortunately, many patients have pain in that area and no specific causative factor can be identified.

So, I guess a yeast infection can trigger Vulvodynia? I don't know... there are too many names for vaginal pain and it gets confusing.
#15 Old 04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Problem 1 here is that you aren't supposed to home treat if you've never had a yeast infection before. I personally can't use OTC topical stuff. I get horrible allergic reactions, thus if I get a yeast infection I have to get a diflucan, or home treat if it's minor.

Your experience is certainly unfortunate, but everything I've read says that yeast infections are harmless, they're just annoying. (There are rare exceptions to this, as with everything in life) If you have some research backing up the fact that they are routinely dangerous, then certainly share it, otherwise it is best not to scare people about their health without any scientific proof to back it up.

Well, I wasn't trying to scare anyone but all the reading I have done on vulvodyina suggests that yeast infections can be a cause. I did find this study:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...tid=1431685#R5

Quote:
Self-report of chronic yeast infections and urinary tract infections (each defined as three or more infections within 12 months) were the strongest predictors of vulvodynia in both univariate and multivariate models. Consistent with this finding, nearly 30% of cases believed that their vulvodynia was caused in part by yeast infections. As with any case control study, the potential for recall bias is acknowledged; cases may better remember past exposures, a particular concern in the instance of vulvodynia and vulvovaginal infection history. The literature also supports an association between vulvodynia and yeast infections,4, 5, 18, 21-24 with limited discussion on urinary tract infections,21 but the nature of these relationships is not well understood. Like our current study, previous research has relied upon self-report of infection history without laboratory confirmation of the diagnosis.

#16 Old 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM

Hi there newbie here! I am new vegan and while I was doing some other research I came across your topic! I used to have constant yeast infections until I read about lemons, yes lemons!! If you add to your water (daily) one full lemon (juice) once a day and or you drink as a warm tea (juice) it will balance your ph! I have done that and also added probiotics to my new vegan life and I feel wonderful no more yeast!! Not only does lemon balance the ph but it's great for other health benefits too..hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page