Definately 0 0%
Somewhat 0 0%
I hadn't made the connection but now you mention it... 0 0%
Not at all 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi everyone, I'm seriously considering going off hormonal birth control because I get more certain each time I go off it for my period that it's responsible for the crushing of my libido (and hence tension in my relationship). So I'm conducting a poll to see if I'm right or if I'm crazy. What I'm considering is just using condoms which I am scared about but I don't want to mess with my body any more and it would be ok if I got pregnant now anyway.

So, for anyone who's using hormonal BC, has it had an effect on your libido? Could you also please note in a response what type of pill you are or were on?

Thanks in advance everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I was on ortho-cyclen for years, then another pill, then zovia, then another one (I forget the names). All of them caused a dramatic drop in libido and contributed to depression.

Exercise helped a little, but as I've mentioned several times, I could tell a major difference about 4-6 weeks once I stopped the pill.

If you use a condom, I highly suggest using something else too. Seriously consider a diaphragm or non-hormonal IUD (if you're looking for something long-term). And spermicide.
#3 Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

All the variations of hormonal pills I used killed my libido, but when I used the Nuva Ring my drive was just fine. I had other problems with the Nuva Ring, but sex drive wasn't one of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I said yes, but only you can figure out if it is what is ruining YOUR sex drive, silly.

That being said, I was on OrthoTriCyclen Lo, and then the Nuva Ring. The ring especially sucked. It completely dried me out to the point that sex was uncomfortable.
#5 Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep. Impaired sex drive is a known and common side effect of hormonal BC. I tried so many different pills over a 12-year period, I can't even begin to list them, and I just continued to have a lack of libido. I even tried at least one type that had a small dose of androgens in it that was supposed to help that problem. It didn't help. I also tried an estrogen cream that was supposed to help. It didn't help. I also tried Depo-Provera, and it was even worse. Since I went off the pill nearly 18 months ago, my sex drive has been gradually coming back. That is the only thing that has helped.
#6 Old 09-16-2006, 01:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post

Well, I said yes, but only you can figure out if it is what is ruining YOUR sex drive, silly.

That being said, I was on OrthoTriCyclen Lo, and then the Nuva Ring. The ring especially sucked. It completely dried me out to the point that sex was uncomfortable.

good to see you back, 'berry!!
#7 Old 09-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

The pill never hurt my sex drive - but my drive has always been a little higher than normal, I think ;-) I took it for 9 years. During the last year or so, I was feeling a bit more "dried out", so we started using lubricants to make sex more comfortable. I've been off it for a couple of weeks, and I definitely feel good (no more dryness, that's for sure!) But while taking it I never felt any effects that were so severe that I might consider stopping.
#8 Old 09-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, the pill destroyed my libido (and it also caused a condition called patulous eustachian tube with tormented me for nearly a year and a half before I made the connection). I've been off it three months now... libido is coming back, and the eustachian tube problem has been gone for six weeks.
#9 Old 09-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

No libido problems at all.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#10 Old 09-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

No libido problems at all. I've been on them for 5 yrs now.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 09-17-2006, 08:49 AM
Baby Love

I was on ortho-tricyclene for about 5 years. By the end I had zero sex-drive. When I went off it, my drive went way way up in a short period of time. Too bad I was then single
#12 Old 09-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post

uncomfortable.

I know, this is part of that process. I just wanted to know whether it was possible or common for the pill to have that effect, so far it looks like it is. Actually it pisses me off a bit, I'm doing this feminist paper at uni at the moment (actually I'm tutoring it) and I've learnt that women's sexual liberation hasn't actually happened, women (generally) aren't having as much sex as they'd like and this pill situation wouldn't be helping would it.
#13 Old 09-22-2006, 11:06 PM

Yes, the pill reduced my libido. I was on it for approx. 8 years...about 5 different kinds. For the first four years, it was fine, but I was young and wanting lots of sex (in high school and college) so maybe I didn't notice. As I got older, my sex drive went away. When I stopped the pill in February, my libido came back. I use condoms now and they work fine. My husband is so happy that I am behaving more 'normally' that he doesn't mind condoms in the least. Anyway, if we mess up, pregnancy wouldn't be a total disaster.
#14 Old 09-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Those are some pretty convincing results. I guess I'm not just crazy after all.
#15 Old 10-01-2006, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I decided. I should have started taking my pill again today, having finished my period, and I didn't. So the experiment begins - I guess I'll soon find out whether my libido changes.

For anyone who's come of the pill before: is there anything else I should expect?

Apart from the fact that my periods will probably go back to being a bit heavier again.
#16 Old 10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

I am a month off the pill. Things I noticed: Felt like a million bucks pre-ovulation. Post ovulation, felt mild cramps most of the 14 days, and then when "aunt flo" came, the cramps were horrific. I haven't had cramps like that since I was a teenager. My period has been a bit heavier, but nothing crazy.

If you don't want to get pregnant, be sure to use at least two methods of BC. I would recommend a barrier method/spermicide, and also, since you aren't using chemicals, try charting. You can learn about it on www.fertilityfriend.com. Don't have sex on the days when you are fertile. I thought it was bunk before I started charting, but I love it. I'm not doing it for birth control, though, I'm doing it to aid in conception - however, it can be used both ways (still, however, always use two methods of BC.)
#17 Old 10-01-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I am a month off the pill. Things I noticed: Felt like a million bucks pre-ovulation. Post ovulation, felt mild cramps most of the 14 days, and then when "aunt flo" came, the cramps were horrific. I haven't had cramps like that since I was a teenager. My period has been a bit heavier, but nothing crazy.

I am so afraid of that when I go off the pill someday.
#18 Old 10-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I am so afraid of that when I go off the pill someday.

*tylenol is your friend*

Yeah, I was a little bit surprised by it, because I didn't remember my cramps being that bad, but in retrospect, yeah, there were a couple times I went home from school because of them....
#19 Old 10-01-2006, 08:06 PM

I'd rather have 3 days of cramps and prescription painkillers than screwing around with my hormones 24/7.

i like my libido right where it is, thankyouverymuch. not to mention all the other crappy side effects.
#20 Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 PM

re: hormones...I think the pill tends to regulate the hormones, as a result regulating the cycle.

But yeah, anyway, the side effects suck.
#21 Old 10-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to have a relatively small period and no cramps at all before I went on the pill, so I'm hoping it goes back to that.

I think I'll try your charting method, Bstutzma. It would be interesting to know a bit more about what's happening with my body. I know you guys are probably all going to jump on me for this but I've decided to just use condoms, and keep certain body parts seperate during foreplay. I know there's a risk of pregnancy but my fiance and I have talked about it and have agreed to take the risk. It wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen now anyway - not like when I was a teenager. We're secure in our relationship and finances so I'm happy with the decision.
#22 Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 PM

My doctor recently convinced me to stop taking the pill, just the idea of how it messes with hormones is daunting. I'm going for a diapharm next week. I never noticed a change in libido, but medications can cause different reactions in different people.
#23 Old 10-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm about 2 weeks in. Interesting libido results so far. I've only been having sex at the weekends for a long time now and I thought that going off the pill would mean some during the week action - not so. I guess the fact that I'm not on the pill anymore doesn't much change the fact that I'm generally more tired and stressed during the week. However, my libido does seem to have increased during the weekend, when I'm more relaxed. The last two weekends have been pretty good. Weird huh?

I think the whole weekday thing might also be related to the fact that I don't see my fiance all day and then there's dinner and TV. I'm a very routine oriented person.
#24 Old 10-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

You could try a non-hormonal birth control if you're comfortable with it, like the Paragard IUD.

If either of you are feeling a little scared that the condom might break, or that there might be an accidental pregnancy, the nerves/stress of that can influence your libido as well. Even subconsciously.

Or, you could try other bc methods. Just because you had a reaction to the pill doesn't mean you'll have the same reaction with the shot/ring/patch.

Break up the routine, girl. Getchu some.
#25 Old 10-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Well here's something I didn't expect. My period is really late, like 10 days. Now I know you're all going to say that I'm pregnant which would of course confirm the whole 'use two forms of contraceptions thing', but I'm not pregnant, I peed on the stick and it says no. Does anyone think it's possible that it happened but was so light that I missed it? I just can't imagine that. Has anyone who has come of the pill noticed anything weird like this? I'm going to go to the doctor sometime soon to ask about it and to confirm the results of the pregnancy test.

The pill messed with my sex life but it sure kept my periods regular, I'll give it that.
#26 Old 11-01-2006, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Messed up periods are pretty common for the first 2-3 months after taking a bcp. I wouldn't worry too much, but would take another pg test in a few days.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#27 Old 11-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I'm definately not pregnant, but I still haven't had my period. They tell me that it could be up to six months before it gets back to normal.
#28 Old 11-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Make sure you are getting enough calories and fat in your diet, that will help regularize your periods (and make sure you weigh enough.) Also, make sure you pee on the stick when you first wake up, when urine is most concentrated. When I came off the pill my period was 4 days late, but I expected it would be. I got pregnant very easily thereafter, so make sure you use good birth control methods in place of the pill if you do not want to make a baby ;-)
#29 Old 11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks veggielove, I think I'm good on the calories and fat count, I'm pretty sure I'm eating way too much. I weigh about 53kgs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page