Recyclable pads - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-13-2006, 08:50 PM

I would've thought there would already be a thread on this... I couldn't find one, but if there is, feel free to delete this

How many of you guys use washable, recyclable pads? I'm tampon-phobic and hate the thought of a) supporting animal testing companies like Procter & Gamble by buying their women's menstrual products and b) over 14 BILLION pads/tampons/applicators go into North American landfills a year. That's... insane.

I figure there's two ways to go about it - theres Luna Pads, which are ones that you can buy and reuse, or there's trusty Craftster tutorials, which tell you how to make them. It's also great for anyone who's ever gotten a rash from pads, 'cause the Luna Pads are 100% cotton, and obviously you can use whatever material you like if you're making them yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Beginner

I don't currently, but I'm thinking about it. Do you have to mail-order the Luna ones? I'm hoping to switch soon, especially since I'll be helping the environment and saving money in the long run.
#3 Old 06-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm tampon-phobic as well (for many reasons) It's probably been over 4 years since I've used one. I use disposable pads, but feel guilty about the waste. (not only of product, but of money) I'm curious to hear how many ppl use reuseables and what they think of them. My concern is the stains. (although i read on the luna site they have darker color options as to not show stains) And I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel using them for years. (even though I have panties that are probably 5 years old, but I don't bleed in them every month...)

I wanna know who's used the cup? That REALLY freaks me out. Ok-this may be a stupid question- but, for those who've used it- can you feel the blood like, sloshing around when you jump or anything? They look kind of large compared to tampons, too. How long does it take before you're totally comfortable wearing them?

*EDIT* Ok, I just saw another thread on this ... I'll still leave this post here though just in case.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i've used gladrags for 7 years and i really love them.

i got mine in the 'natural' or non-dyed version and i'm fine with the stains. it doesn't bother me. i've used the same pads for 7 years and they're sanitary and clean. i rinse them--put the water/blood on the plants (they love it)--and then wash them in the washer with jeans and similar items. i dry them in the dryer, and i wear them when i need them.

i just love them. they're great!
#5 Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZCsmpsns View Post

I wanna know who's used the cup? That REALLY freaks me out. Ok-this may be a stupid question- but, for those who've used it- can you feel the blood like, sloshing around when you jump or anything? They look kind of large compared to tampons, too. How long does it take before you're totally comfortable wearing them?

No, you can't. I've been using the mooncup for a year now, and it's very comfortable and discreet. I know they seem large, but it's very easy to insert one and you can't feel it afterwards. It does take some practise, admittedly, but I guess it differs from person to person. First time I put it in, it felt very comfortable. You can always try it, and if it doesn't feel right, they have very good return policies - you get a full refund.
#6 Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I used them for years when my boys were using disposable diapers. They're not nearly as gross as you might think (reusing them). I washed them in hot water (with the diapers). They stained but no one really saw them but me. I'm sure you could use stain remover if it bugs you.

I'm back to disposable now. My periods got heavier after my last child. Instead of bleeding lightly for a week, I bleed heavily for 3-4 days. The disposables barely absorb enough, the cloth was just leaking all over. The ones that didn't leak were so bulky that I couldn't comfortably wear them. You might want to buy one or two and use them at first only for your heaviest days and see if they work.

My other issue was changing them at work. When I worked in the restaurant I couldn't carry my purse to the bathroom with me and I had no viable way to change the pad. Disposables could be gotten rid of in the bathroom. Besides the thought of carrying around a used pad in my small purse was kind of icky to me. I'm sure others have a solution to this though.

I did like them and I do tend to have worse cramps with disposables but they just weren't practical for me. I will not use anything remotely like a tampon. All hygiene objects stay outside my body!

Mary
#7 Old 06-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i have a 3-4 day heavy period and i usually don't leak. the pads are larger though, but it doesn't bother me.

i change before and after an 8 hour day, so i never have to change during. when i'm gone longer than that, and i need to change during, i have a opaque plastic bag that looks like a make up bag. it has two compartments--one for clean and one for used pads. it's easier to carry around than a purse and it cleans up nicely once i get home. very simple to use.
#8 Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm 18 and I've used the organic, unbleached cotton Lunapads for a few months. I switched from disposible for many reasons, the most personal one being "pad rash" from chemicals and chafing and whatnot.

Lunapads rock! They're so soft and easy to use. And they're not really gross or anything like that. And, so far, I haven't had a problem with leaks.

Lunapads do seem a bit bulky if you're used to ultra-thin pads. But they don't really show under my clothes; they just look like a panty line, and that doesn't bother me at all.

I'm pretty satisfied with 'em.
#9 Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I use 'Glad Rags' and a Divacup. My cycle is sometimes heavy enough to empty the Diva Cup 6 times daily and Glad rags work just fine for me as well.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I also use glad rags and a Diva cup. I like the way the cloth washable pads feel. They are softer, they dont crinkle, because there is no plastic involved. They are very absorbant. The dont have that awful synthetic scent. They are really easy to wash. Since they have small pads in them, before the washer I spray them with spray and wash and then put them in one of those panty-hose mesh bags with the zipper. (you can get them mail order-- I believe that if you buy a "set" which is fairly expensive, you basically have a life-time supply). I like switching back and forth from Diva Cup to pad. The Diva cup takes a little getting used to. I found it really hard to put in at first. I have only had it for 2 cycles and am not totally used to it. When I had it in, and it was in the proper position I did not feel it at all. It starts to drop and feels uncomfortable when it is filled. It can hold a lot. It is very hard for me becasue it does not seem to want to turn and pop open like it is supposed to. I will continue to try to make peace with my Diva Cup-- I am sure within a few months I will be an old pro.
#11 Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i have a 3-4 day heavy period and i usually don't leak. the pads are larger though, but it doesn't bother me.

i change before and after an 8 hour day, so i never have to change during. when i'm gone longer than that, and i need to change during, i have a opaque plastic bag that looks like a make up bag. it has two compartments--one for clean and one for used pads. it's easier to carry around than a purse and it cleans up nicely once i get home. very simple to use.

Maybe I used the wrong ones but the only ones that worked for me were the postpartum ones and, trust me, you don't want to wear those around on a normal basis. lol I have to change every 3-4 hours with conventional ones too. Generally I had to change about every 2-3 with cloth to prevent leaking.

I wasn't trying to dissuade anyone though, just sharing what could be a possible problem.

Mary
#12 Old 06-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I'll try the reusables... I have I'd say a medium flow period, and since I've got piece of mind that others don't think it's unsanitary or anything, that definitly makes me feel more comfortable w/them. I've never had a problem w/ disposable pads (cept for the guilt) but I do change them probably every 2-3 hours (pretty much every time I feel a "gush") so that's a biiiig waste. (I do trust their absorbancy.. i'm just obsessed w/cleanliness...)

Don't think i could ever use the cup though. Still freaks me out, lol.
#13 Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 AM

This is kinda personal, but does anyone find that the washable pads ever smell?
#14 Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussievegangirl View Post

I would've thought there would already be a thread on this... I couldn't find one, but if there is, feel free to delete this

How many of you guys use washable, recyclable pads? I'm tampon-phobic and hate the thought of a) supporting animal testing companies like Procter & Gamble by buying their women's menstrual products and b) over 14 BILLION pads/tampons/applicators go into North American landfills a year. That's... insane.

I figure there's two ways to go about it - theres Luna Pads, which are ones that you can buy and reuse, or there's trusty Craftster tutorials, which tell you how to make them. It's also great for anyone who's ever gotten a rash from pads, 'cause the Luna Pads are 100% cotton, and obviously you can use whatever material you like if you're making them yourself.

That craftster tutorial is great. Thanks!

Have thought about it a lot, but never tried them before cause it is a big initial outlay. Now I just gotta learn to sew
#15 Old 06-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussievegangirl View Post

This is kinda personal, but does anyone find that the washable pads ever smell?

No.

To be honest the smell you're used to is probably the disposable chemical smell. I found the cloth ones actually lacked the scent I was used to when wearing disposables. It's another plus.

Mary
#16 Old 06-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

mary:

i understand that. it's perfectly fine to share your experience and talk about a 'risk' or 'potential problem' for using a given product. it's not discouraging really, just informative.

aussie:

no. they don't smell when they're clean, for certain. And, they smell less (or not at all) when i wear them and i'm using them.

to the issue:

i'm learning about an option where you never wear any menstrual products and become attuned to the movements of your menses and excuse yoruself to the restroom whenever you feel a "gush."

even though i use cloth pads, i've been doing this. second day of my period is the heaviest, so i did go to the bathroom a lot. but instead of going in the toilet, i went into my water-bucket (menstrual blood only, not feces) and then put it out on the plants. It's really quite pleasureable, the whole process.

anyway, i'm finding that i bleed less into the pads overall, because the larger clots and menstrual blood goes into the bucket and then into the plants. i use the same bucket to rinse my pads before washing them--and i put that water out into the plants as well.

you get really in tune with your body with this method.
#17 Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM

the cloth ones seem to work better if you don't use softener in the wash, in my experience.

I like my diva cup. i use the cloth to supplement.
#18 Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

the cloth ones seem to work better if you don't use softener in the wash, in my experience.

I like my diva cup. i use the cloth to supplement.

Yeah your towels too. Softener coats the cloth with a film making it less absorbant. I never use softener with towels and never used it with the cloth pads and diapers.

Mary
#19 Old 06-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I have never used fabric softener on anything I own.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#20 Old 06-15-2006, 11:29 AM

the cat prefers a lot of softener on her blankets.

i don't use it on towels either. and the older the towels, the better.
#21 Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been using a Keeper cup for a little over a year now. When it is in correctly, you can't feel it at all, with or without fluid in it. One generally doesn't menstruate at such a rate that you would fill a cup with fluid and it would slosh around. At least I never have!! When it shifts out of place (which I find happens after I go to the bathroom sometimes... the bearing down thing shifts it), you can feel it and have to put it back in right. It took some practice, but now I have my 'method' of getting it in just right, and I think it's the greatest thing ever!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#22 Old 06-18-2006, 05:34 PM

This is very interesting! I'm just wondering.. I'm looking on their site and it says with the lunapads you get a liner with each pad. What's that?
#23 Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i'm learning about an option where you never wear any menstrual products and become attuned to the movements of your menses and excuse yoruself to the restroom whenever you feel a "gush."

even though i use cloth pads, i've been doing this. second day of my period is the heaviest, so i did go to the bathroom a lot. but instead of going in the toilet, i went into my water-bucket (menstrual blood only, not feces) and then put it out on the plants. It's really quite pleasureable, the whole process.

anyway, i'm finding that i bleed less into the pads overall, because the larger clots and menstrual blood goes into the bucket and then into the plants. i use the same bucket to rinse my pads before washing them--and i put that water out into the plants as well.

you get really in tune with your body with this method.

Wow. I didn't even know such a thing was possible. Is there writing or something that I could read regarding this method? I use GladRags and love them. But the first 1-2 days of my period are so heavy that I have to change pads every 2 hours. That's very hard to manage when you're at work. Then I come home with 4-5 used pads that must be rinsed immediately. Last night the flow was so heavy that I thought I was going to have to just sit on the toilet all evening. I was practically in tears.
#24 Old 06-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

you can find information about it through Susun Weed's web site. She has a lot of articles about women's fertility, menstruation, etc. You might have to 'poke around' a bit, but i found it pretty easily. I'll try to find the 'name' of the practice as well.

in one suggestion, she suggests taking the first few days (or whole time) off and spending that time alone in the woods near a mossy place so that you can bleed on the moss when you feel the need and spend the rest of the tiem in rest and meditation. women are particularly spiritually attuned when menstruating. look for 'blood mysteries' on her site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page