Periods getting progressively more painful - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Over the past year my PMS and periods have become significantly more gruesome at an increasing rate. For example, about 6 months ago my breasts were only sore for a few days before my period, but now they get more and more sore from the third day after ovulation until about the 4th day of my period. I'm also much more irritable the week before my period, and I used to be only mildly cranky a day or two before the onset of my period. Also, on the second night of my period, I'm awakened with nasty cramps which last for the next 24 hours. They've been really pretty bad for about the past year, and this past month they were *crazy* bad. I woke up and dry heaved, the pain was so awful. I didn't have these problems before.

Is this normal, common, or possibly indicative of an underlying health issue? I know the obvious answer is "go to a doctor", but I don't have health insurance, don't make a lot of money, and I prefer to take a natural approach to health issues before pursuing conventional medical treatment. Thanks for any insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Banned

You don't want to hear this, but if this is getting progressively worse, go to the Dr. It could be very serious. Many things are judged by the level of your pain and it sounds like your pain is screaming warnings to you trying to save your life. Now get off your kiester and go get yourself checked out, or do you just enjoy mindbending, gutwrenching, debilitating pain?

Is your abdomin area seeming to become more and more bloated each month, and is it touchy between periods?
#3 Old 05-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I have had this problem. Go to the doctor, although some doctors won't listen to you, they will just tell you it's normal (I have encountered this more than once.) I did finally find a doctor that would listen. In my case, my hormones were out of whack. My thryoid and progesterone levels were not what they should be(not even close actually). But, that might not be what it is for you and the only way you can find out is if you go to the doctor and have some tests done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Life~

I don't think my abdomen is becoming more and more bloated each month. When you say touchy between periods, do you mean sore to the touch? If so, then no, it's not.

Thanks for the help, ladies.
#5 Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 PM

I've had similar symptoms (minus the breast tenderness) with endometriosis and later with benign tumors and cysts on my ovaries, tubes, etc. Abnormal pain there isn't to be taken lightly....a benign tumor/growth can turn malignant in as fast as 6 months. I'm not trying to scare you or say that's what is going on with you because obviously I wouldn't know.

Can you go over to Metro? They have that sliding scale thing that's based on your income where you probably wouldn't have to pay. Or maybe your income is such that you could go to Children and Family Services just for the medical coverage?

I hope you feel better soon.
#6 Old 05-23-2006, 04:29 PM

well, from all the other responses you should go get checked out...just wanted to let you know that when i was younger, i didn't even fully understand what pms was and would actually get annyed at people who complained about (thought they were being wimps, etc), but probably since i was in my late 20's i have had bad pms (payback, i guess)...anyway, it started and got worse over a few years and has since evened out...i did go to a doctor (just one) and was fine--just changes with age...just wanted to say that you might be just fine, but in light of others' experiences, i hope you get yourself checked....
#7 Old 05-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope you can see a doctor I had symptoms like that and they were getting worse and worse with bad almost debilitating pain, was told nothing was wrong several times before they did more tests and saw I had endometriosis.

You should see someone though not to scare you but I'm the only female in my biological family that has not gotten canser in 2 generations.

All 3 of my sisters had it before the age of 27 so it is nothing to sneeze at.
#8 Old 05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

here are some books that may help some of you--or not. you never know:

Shomon, Mary J., Living Well With Hypothyroidism, Quill, 2001.

Shepperson Mills, Dian, and Vernon, Michael, Endometriosis : A Key to Healing Through Nutrition

for this second book, a number of my friends have had great results in aiding their process of healing and/or managing endometriosis.
#9 Old 05-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Many people I've known have had similar problems... and as a few have said- it turned out to be endometriosis. For some they also had major cysts. Whatever the case was, they all required medical attention.

I myself don't have insurance, and because of that, I'm on a payment plan. (I pay $50 up front, then at least $20 a month after that...I'm sure it differs from place to place, but that may at least give you an idea) Even if that's something you can't afford, you need to go! If there is something wrong that doesn't get taken care of soon enough, it may cost you a lot more in the long run (financially, emotionally and physically) Hopefully you can find something like what SotallyTober mentioned.

Oh, and about your breasts- Mine get super tender around my period, it turned out I have fibro-cystic breasts, not a major health issue at all, but since they're "lumpy" I need to be more aware of everything when I self-examine them. It's reccomended people w/that stay away from caffiene.

Good luck, and I hope you get help for it soon!!!
#10 Old 06-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

endometriosis and cysts don't necessarily require medical attention.

get the tests, do the research, see what you think will work for you, and if that's western medical techniques, then use them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page