FAM ladies, I need your help (important!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I know I should know this.. and I think I do, but I'm not 100% sure. So... is it possible to get pregnant if you have sex when you're menstruated? It happened at the very beginning of my period, between the first and second day, so there's no egg, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

This isn't the exact same question, but the answer is in there:

Question: Can you get pregnant right after your period?

Answer: It's possible but not very likely. Ovulation occurs around the middle of a woman's cycle (specifically, in the middle third): If you have a 28-day cycle, for example, then you'll usually ovulate on the 14th day, counting the first day of your period as the first day of your cycle. If your period lasts seven or eight days, by the time you finish menstruating you're only five or six days away from ovulating. If you consider that sperm can live in the fallopian tube for two or three days, then you have a narrow window in which you could get pregnant if you ovulated a little earlier than normal. If you're not actively trying to get pregnant, it's always safer to use reliable contraception when you have sex, no matter when in it is during your cycle.

http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pre...nant/7094.html

And you should read this: http://www.coolnurse.com/can_i.htm
#3 Old 04-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Its not very likely, but its not impossible either. You can ovulate anywhere in your cycle - for proper use of FAM, you need to take your temperature and do some other measurements, not just base it on when you menstruate. I'm sure Zoebird will see this soon and come in with some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-23-2006, 02:54 PM

This is one of my favorite sites. Lots of good info:

http://www.fwhc.org/birth-control/fam.htm
#5 Old 04-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

As the others have said: Not very likely, but not impossible either.

If you've been keeping track of your cycles and they're regular enough, you'll pretty much know when you've ovulated and at what point you are in that whole cycle...
#6 Old 04-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone.

I did some research and it looks like the only ways it could happen are:

a) if you mistake spotting that occurs at ovulation as being your period (this is definitely not the case!)

or

b) if your cycle is really short and you ovulate within 3-5 days of the unprotected sex "incident" (because sperm can live that long in the body)

so.. I think I'm fine!
#7 Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

as others have said, it is really rare. but, it is considered 'possible' to not know if you ovulate then based on the fact that it's more difficult to read the other fertility signals (cervical fluid and cervical placement). you can still check temps easily, but these other two are harder to check. Certianly, it's very difficult to detect the presence of cervical fluid with the presence of so much blood.

I have charted, on a number of occassions multiple ovulations during a cycle. two of these charts show clear 'double ovulations' with two discernable temperature spikes, the presence of cervical fluid, and the low and open placement of the cervix. a few others show 'false spikes.' I have cervical fluid and no temperature spikes, or temperature spikes and no fluid. I treat all of these are potential ovulation times--and i use barrier contraceptives during times when i know, think, or believe that i may be ovulating.

while it is rare for a women to ovulate during menstruation--for that matter to ovulate more than once a month (though not terribly uncommon for a women to not ovulate at all, but still have fertility signals except a strong temp spike)--it can and does happen. And because it's hard to 'read' it can be difficult to chart or track. in most FAM circles, it's considered appropriate to use contraception whenever you don't have a clear reading of all three signals. So, sex during menstruation includes other forms of contraception (or abstinance). this is the 'common' practice anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page