When you went veggie did your period stop? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rainbow_clouds
  • 2 Post By bstutzma

#1 Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM

I know there are probably tons of threads like this, but...

I am 14 years old and have been a vegetarian (still lacto ovo) for about 9 months, but I haven't had a period in 3 months. When you became one, did you period stop? For how long? I'm starting to get worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are eating a somewhat balanced diet (i.e. not all junk food) and enough food your period shouldn't have stopped for that long. Sometimes I skip a month or something, but three months is a long time. Have you been under a lot of stress lately or gone through any other major life changes? Sometimes if you don't eat enough your period will stop, so make sure you are eating.

If you are sexually active, take a pregnancy test, that's really the only logical

Talk to a doctor or a parent ASAP, no period can be a sign of other health issues.
#3 Old 04-16-2006, 07:24 PM

To answer your question, mine didn't change at all when I went vegetarian or vegan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Talk to a doctor or a parent ASAP, no period can be a sign of other health issues.

I second that. Definitely talk to someone about this, so you can find out what's goin on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Being vegetarian should NOT cause you to skip three months. Possible causes that spring to mind:

Pregnancy (if you're sexually active)

Failure to eat enough calories

Something "wrong" requiring medical attention

At age 14, there's also a possibility your cycle simply hasn't become completely regular yet. But if you've been regular for a couple of years already, that probably isn't it.
#5 Old 04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Beginner

I was just about to mention that, Tess. I would assume you started your period within a year or two. It may not be regular yet. However, with your diet change, I would highly advise seeing a doctor. If you are too embarassed to ask your parents, go on your own (don't forget your co-pay, if you need one), or make an appointment at planned parenthood/local clinic.
#6 Old 04-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

tess has some great causes, and i'll expand on them a bit:

1. not eating enough--if you're not eating enough, you get ammorrhea. this means you loose your period because you don't have enough body fat to support it. this is particularly common among athletes, particularly young ones (teens).

2. something "wrong" medical condition--my first guess is a thyroid issue. since becoming veg, have you consumed a lot of soy products such as tofu, soy milk, soy ice cream, soy cheese, and soy yogurt? TVP? soy protien powders? soy products, particularly 'in excess' (though that varies person to person) can have a negative effect on the thyroid and cause a hormonal imbalance that leads to the loss of your fertility cycle. Consider cutting out all soy (as an ovo-lacto, you don't really 'need' it anyway--you get more than enough protien from these sources and other beans, nuts, and seeds) and see if your period returns. also, related to this, i recommend fertility charting (once you get your period back) to help you monitor your hormonal conditions. For information about fertility charting check out the book Garden of Fertility by Katie Singer.

3. a 'regular' cycle--it's true that for many girls, the first two to five years of menstruation are erratic. it takes a lot of time for the body to regulate, and it usually does so in two years, with three years of moderate 'shifting' of the cycle based on hormonal changes and growth, dietary changes and stress, and a myriad of other factors.

it is important to note that different women do have different cycles. not every cycle is 28 days, and it can be healthy and normal for some women to have a very long cycle--in the 80 or 90 day range. any longer than this is considered problematic, and may require special attention. most women are 27-33 days in their cycles. There's a lot more ifnormation about this in the book i recommended above.

4. excessive weight, inadequate nutrition--if you are over weight, and you do not eat enough nutrient rich foods, it is relatively common to have thyroid problems that will cause a loss of period. Even for people of 'regular' weight who eat a lot of processed foods, foods that have poor nutritional value, it is common for them to loose their periods. Move toward a whole-foods diet such as fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, grains, nuts, seeds, and moderate amounts of eggs and dairy (since you're L/O).

5. A word of caution about doctors--many doctors do not treat causes, they treat symptoms.

a) For a person who is underweight and ammorrheic, the treatment is to gain weight and regain the period. Most doctors will put the person 'on the pill' which is a 'false menstruation' and not a healthy menstrual cycle. once off the pill, the problem comes back. So the treatment is to gain weight.

b) For a person who doens't eat nutritious food, the treatment is to eat nutritious food. Most doctors will put the girl 'on the pill' which is a false menstruation and not a healthy cycle. once off the pill, the problem (of no period) returns. The treatment is to eat nutritious food.

c) for a person who has a minor thyroid problem, it may be that there are many natural ways to solve this problem such as removing certian foods from the diet (such as soy) or taking cold rinses after hot showers. in these cases, the natural way solves the problem, whereas a medical path often leads to life-long use of a drug that may have side effects.

there are, of course, some cases where thyroid conditions need medical attention. in these cases, certainly it is appropriate to have surgery, take medications, and so on. but, for most doctors, there is no 'degree' in the problem. for many, all thyroid problems--whether small or severe--require the same sorts of treatments: drugs and surgery. So, even my own minor thyroid problem--treated by removing soy, a whole foods diet, cool rinses after showers, certain yoga poses, and monitoring the thyroid through fertility charting--would have been treated with medications by a doctor (in fact, my doctors wanted me to go on meds right away, but in 3 months i healed myself through this natural process).

use your intuition and your own wisdom to determine what you need. a doctor is a helper and their technologies are your tools--if you need them. you know best if you do or not, and what you're willing to try before you use them.

good luck to you!
#7 Old 04-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey Lavendar,

I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm 16 and have been a minimally lacto ovo veg for about a half a year and haven't had my period for about 4 months. It can start to get worrisome as the months keep going by with no period and you don't know what's wrong. I think losing your period is more common in vegetarian women than in non vegetarian women, as on this board many of the women have amenorrhea. I'm still trying to figure this out myself. Do you weigh enough? I've heard being too thin can cause this. Also not eating enough fat or calories can cause it. With me, my doctor and I are still unsure as to what is causing my periods to not come. I'd say that next time you are at the doctor, mention it to him or her. Good luck =)

~Liz
#8 Old 04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

my periods are lighter since i cut dairy products. if yours have stopped completely, I would reccomend going to a doctor.
#9 Old 04-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Beginner

There are some women who actually stop bleeding but continue to ovulate, which is a sign of health.

Or they bleed a lot less, or very lightly.

I've seen a lot of debate on this subject. Many believe that if mammals in the wild don't bleed than women shouldn't naturally be bleeding if they are on an optimal diet.

However, it all depends on your diet and lifestyle. If you are eating really clean, fresh foods like fruits and vegetables that may be why you have stopped bleeding.

Personally, for me, I bleed a lot less since I've been a veggie and my PMS symptoms are practically void and I bleed lighter when I am eating all raw food, like fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds.

Also, since you have just started your period, chances are you aren't having much in the way of symptoms and/or PMS, and since you've been abstaining from animal products perhaps your body has re-adjusted and you are still not ready to start menstruating. I started at 14 but maybe if I was a veggie at the time I would have started later - I was a late bloomer.

If you do get checked by a doctor, please do be cautious and strongly consider all possibilities before taking any meds you might get prescribed just to make you 'bleed' if the doctor thinks you're otherwise healthy. Just a suggestion - some of those meds just pump innocent people full of unnecessary hormones. I'm sure you will talk with a parent about this decision though.
#10 Old 04-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

A couple things come to mind.

1.Not eating enough

2. Pregancy

3. Something medically wrong

I think you should talk to your mother and ask her to make you an appointment at the doctors to get this checked out. Because when i became vegetarian, my period never stopped.

Good luck and let us know the out come.
#11 Old 04-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

Many believe that if mammals in the wild don't bleed than women shouldn't naturally be bleeding if they are on an optimal diet.

Animals in the wild do bleed, it's just not always external and visiable to the naked eye. Many just reabsorb the uterine lining after it is shed.

And to answer the OP's question- no, my period never stopped.
#12 Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post

Many believe that if mammals in the wild don't bleed than women shouldn't naturally be bleeding if they are on an optimal diet.

*rolls eyes*

That's because most mammals don't experience a menstual cycle, but a Estrus cycle. Read up on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estrus
anole likes this.
#13 Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM

I went veggie just before I turned 14 and had my first period about a week later. I was quite heavy. Now I'm a vegan it's much lighter but I've only missed one when I was pregnant. It's unlikely to be due to not eating meat unless as many people have suggested you are not eating enough calories.

Go to your GP or family planning clinic.
#14 Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Please don't read these boards and think that vegetarians are likely to lose their periods. Its that people with eating disorders often like to mask their problem with vegetarianism, and people with eating disorders easily lose their periods. Its that simple.

I have been a vegetarian for many years and never have missed a period. I missed periods when I was a young teenager, an omni, and not eating enough.
LedBoots and mags102 like this.
#15 Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

It's probally nothin', but are you a virgin? Have you had sex, or been "messing around" within the last 4 months?

Mine did not stop when I went vegetarian, or vegan, in fact, it became more regular, which was, in part, due to it maturing over time.
#16 Old 05-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

How much do you weigh?

The time your period starts depends on weight, I was always really thin as a girl and so it didn't come for ages and I thought there was something wrong with me. Anyway the point is, if you were just on the required weight you might have lost some since your diet has changed and now your body's like 'ok, I'm not ready after all'. I think the reqiured weight is 48kgs.
#17 Old 05-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

My periods never stopped when I went veg.

They did stop when I had my ED, though.

Get it checked out, OP. Missing periods are nothing to play around with.
#18 Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 PM

well, you've already got some good info here...to answer the question, my periods were not affected by my vegetarianism--and i've never heard of that happening...so, yes, i would talk to someone, too...
#19 Old 08-03-2014, 01:50 PM

I've been a vegetarian for a year now and I just started missing period I've missed 2 now and I'm worried about what might be wrong I'm 17 and less then 100 pounds any ideas?
#20 Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

1. Make sure you're not missing periods due to pregnancy.

2. Can you give us an idea of what your daily meals look like? Are you eating enough? Sorry to ask, but any chances you might have an eating disorder and that's what's causing you to miss your period? Unless you're a short girl, weighing less than 100 pounds is too little.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 08-03-2014 at 10:02 PM.
#21 Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM

Hello,
At your age a missed period or a few missed periods can be normal. Every time the chemicals in our body changes our period changes. At your age your chemicals are going crazy and that means your period might be going crazy. There are a few things that you might want to consider like are you having sex if so take a pregnancy test. Talk to your doctor to see what can cause an irregular period or missed period. And most importantly talk to your parents or a close family member.
#22 Old 02-11-2016, 09:42 AM

gone vegan/ missed period

hi, i most threads on here about periods are from teenagers and about going veggie.

I'm 43 and have been vegan for a few months and only veggie for a few months. any ideas? ive missed a couple of periods although get the period pains and symptoms.

Ive not eaten any soya products, maybe not eating any or enough fat though?
#23 Old 02-12-2016, 09:54 PM
Veggie Recycler

You shouldn't stop getting your period, nor should you get pink spotting (lighter colored blood is indicative of an iron deficiency).

There are two ways to do this as a vegetarian, and that's not eating enough calories (trying to live off lettuce and air) or possibly being a severe junk food vegan, so that you have nutrient deficiency. But you shouldn't have nutrient deficiency that quickly.

Some people use vegetarian diets to try to cover anorexia, or orthorexia, so losing your fertility is NOT to be expected from even a vegan diet, if anything, a healthy diet with less hormone laden animal products should help your fertility rather than hinder it.

For the 43 year old, maybe it is going too low fat. Going too low in fat is bad for your fertility as well as your nervous system, especially if you already have a low body weight.
#24 Old 02-16-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomb View Post
hi, i most threads on here about periods are from teenagers and about going veggie.

I'm 43 and have been vegan for a few months and only veggie for a few months. any ideas? ive missed a couple of periods although get the period pains and symptoms.

Maybe you just starting your menopause. Do you feel heat, are you nervous , do you have any other symptom that is unusual ? In general the menstrual cycle presents a complex meshing of hormones. While some studies found correlations between low-fat vegetarian/vegan diets and altered menstrual cycles, it was unclear whether the lack of animal products was responsible. Each person is different, so different symptoms are expected. If you skip your period again consult your doc, or do hormone testing.
#25 Old 02-19-2016, 04:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomb View Post

Pregnant?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page