VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Women's Health Issues (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33-women-s-health-issues/)
-   -   Amenorrhea and veganism (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33-women-s-health-issues/48091-amenorrhea-veganism.html)

hopejoy 04-06-2006 12:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I had posted a post a few months ago about how I had weird spotting but no period. Well, it has now been 4 months since I've had my period. I am almost 16 and used to have fairly regular periods before going veg (I eat an almost vegan diet). I am definately not pregnant (I'm a virgin).I went to the doctor a few months ago, who put me on lots of supplements and told me to eat more fats and protein. I am doing that but it's not working. Otherwise I'm pretty healthy. I'm thin, but healthy thin. I weigh about the same as I did prior to being a vegetarian. I've heard that soy can throw off the cycle so I've cut back on unfermented soy. In general I eat a healthy diet so I don't get why I've lost my period. It's starting to really alarm me. I may start to eat eggs or dairy everyday, because as much as I love animals, this can't be good for my health. The doctor thinks that I may have PCOS because of my irregular periods and also my mom has this syndrome. Do you think that a vegan diet is related to losing periods?

~Hope

GhostUser 04-06-2006 12:28 PM

most likely it's related to your thinness than your veganism- if you are an omni and don't eat enough and don't have enough bodyfat you will lose your period.

I did gymnastics and sports for years, and every girl that had amenorrhea on my gymnastics team(it's very common in that sport) was too low in bodyfat-. and none were vegan. or even vegetarian.

ETA:you have to speak to a doctor about the PCOS.

Jennifer89 04-06-2006 08:03 PM

If your doc has given you supplements, then I don't see what you'll gain my eating dairy/eggs.

i know how you feel w/out it, i hate when i skip a month, or am late (I'm also a virgin, but it still annoys me).

Try to gain some weight. Eat some chips or something like that. try to eat some luna bars, they always seem to give your body a boost (i'm a huge fan)

good luck!

zoebird 04-10-2006 12:02 PM

well, dairy and eggs will give you more fat and protien--which generally can't be supplemented effectively. most vegan protien sources are high carbohydrate as well which means that it takes more volumn to get the same amount of nutrients that you might get in a smaller volumn from another source.

If you go back on eggs and dairy and you don't get your period within say 6 months or so, then you can go back off of the eggs and dairy. you can experiment and see what works for you. maybe it is that you can't get enough fat and protien on your particular incarnation of the vegan diet--and even if you could it's not enough for 'you' personally.

bstutzma 04-10-2006 12:50 PM

I have to agree with Zoebird - there is nothing wrong with eating organic eggs and dairy if its going to help your health - or at least abate some of your worries until you figure out what's wrong (because worrying isn't going to help this problem either.)

In general, I do not think veganism is correlated with amenorrhea. But if you are having trouble getting enough calories/fat to gain the bodyfat necessary for a healthy female form, I think there is no shame in eating eggs and dairy.

((HUGS))

anatta 04-10-2006 02:58 PM

I'm in the same situation you are. It may be that we are thin or, more specifically, our body fat percentage. Do you know yours? In some ways, it's more important then your weight. Also, make sure you aren't iron deficient, as iron is something your body conserves by foregoing menstrual cycles.