Tubal Anyone? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-01-2006, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

G'mornin' ladies...

I'm curious to know if anyone here has had a tubal ligation done in the past? I ask this because I am scheduled to have one on March 13th. I've done a lot of reading on the subject but have never heard real experiences. If anyone is willing to share, that would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-01-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I had mine when I had a c-section for my 2nd son. Since I was recovering from that, I didn't really notice any additional issues/discomfort.

But afterwards, I now have ovulation pain. I get a couple of hours of intense pains every month mid cycle. Never had it before.
#3 Old 03-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I know it's a lot safer for the man to get a vasectomy, but I don't have a personal story or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I had one about four years ago, they said I could only get clips, not a real cut and sew (and maybe cauterize and staple) like I wanted. I had to go to a crazy surgeon since none of the sane ones would do it due to my age (25), and I was terrified because I didn't trust her. I also had to be examined by a sadist to get the referral. His name isn't in the phonebook anymore.

The pain was pretty bad for two or three days and I couldn't wear pants. Now I do get abdominal pains every so often and I believe that the clips are the culprit. Other than that it's fine.

Bonus: Being pushed around in a wheelchair while on morphine is the greatest thing ever.
#5 Old 03-01-2006, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I got one about 13 years ago and I ended up having bad cramps too afterwards and ended up taking BC pills to help with them. When I asked the dr about the cramps he said I was imaging it. He was a butcher too. It was supposed to be a small cut in my belly button but he made a 5" cut a few inches below my belly button. He also back dated the form I signed 30 days so he could do the surgury right away.

But I've known other women who got it done more recently (not by him) and never had any problems.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#6 Old 03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Banned

Good news!

I had mine cut and cauterized and folded back. Everything but taken out and stomped on the floor. It was done in a lap proceedure, and I was sore from the proceedure, but only for about 5 days. I have had no after effects. It has been so nice to be chemical free and liberated in our marital bed. Good stuff. Good luck.
#7 Old 03-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

my mother had one after my sister was about 5 yrs old or so. my mother was 32-33 at the time. this was early 80s.

hers went very well. early am surgery, she had the cut and cauterized version (long opening), and had no complications. she didn't exercise for three days, but after that went back to normal.

i think the biggest moral of the stories above is to find doctors whom you trust and are good at what they do. my mother had excellent care. she doesn't regret doing it either.
#8 Old 03-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Beginner

I am interested in this too, just because I think it's silly to use bc when I know I don't plan on having any children. Why stuff excess hormones into my body, when a snip job would do the trick as well?

But I have heard of tubal ligation syndrome - women who have pains, hormonal problems, etc., that can be traced back to the tubal ligation. Has anyone heard of that? Do you know anyone with those problems? I can stand the pain of say, additional cramping during my period (I get bad cramps anyway), but I worry about hormonal imabalances, etc., that could be a side effect of having the procedure done.

So, please, tell us more about your experiences!
#9 Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

other than having a foriegn body in your body, i can't imagine what hormonal changes would take place because the fallopean tubes were cut. it wouldn't disrupt the ovaries or the uterus, which are the major hormonal regions. i'm not saying that the fallopean tubes don't do anything, but they're still present, even if 'cut.'

i think if you don't plan to have children, sterilization is the most obvious answer. if you don't want to do hormones, FAM is just as effective (if practiced properly) as hormones. but most effective is sterilization. most doctors don't like to do sterilzation on younger women (25 and under, sometimes 30 and under), but will put in non-hormonal IUDs until the woman reaches the 'majic number' that the doctor is comfortable with. this is another, non-hormonal option.
#10 Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 AM
Banned

On the pill, I was having severe head aches, on foam, I was nervous, on diaphrams, it was "don't get on top", on rhythm it was not tonight dear and what if I am irregular, if he has a vas we had to continue birthcontrol for six months to make sure it was truely successful. I was 34. I had no intention of going through teenage years with a child when I was 45-50. I had a one year old. He was showing every sign of being a "I'll do it my way, Mom." kid. Who knows what a third one would have been like, Napoleon, and lead a revolution of the masses of the world? I was determined to quit while I was ahead. I knew a good thing when I saw it. Also, children are very expensive to raise with all the enrichments, and I was only receiving teaching pay, my husband was in tech school, with a part time job. I just couldn't see it. When Dad offered to pay for it, it jumped at it.
#11 Old 03-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

T minus 12 hours and counting...

It's really weird, out of all of the things I've done with my life and the choices I've made, I've never once questioned my choice to go through with this surgery.

I'm just nervous now. I've never had surgery, let alone having general anasthesia.

Wish me luck.
#12 Old 03-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck.

I'm sure you'll be fine, though.
#13 Old 03-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... it's over and done with. Being put under was a little scary at first but it was worth it. I'm a bit sore but other than that, I feel good and I'm glad it did it.
#14 Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I read this thread a minute ago & was wondering how you got on! i'm glad everything went well, hope you feel back to normal soon
#15 Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Glad you're okay.
#16 Old 03-16-2006, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Congrats! I wish you a speedy recovery.
#17 Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay Skarlett!
#18 Old 03-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarrlett View Post

G'mornin' ladies...

I'm curious to know if anyone here has had a tubal ligation done in the past? I ask this because I am scheduled to have one on March 13th. I've done a lot of reading on the subject but have never heard real experiences. If anyone is willing to share, that would be great.

Thanks

I really want to get one. I hope everything goes well for you.

I would really like to hear about how you feel afterwards. Please keep us posted and let us know how it went and how you're doing.
#19 Old 03-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarrlett View Post

Well... it's over and done with. Being put under was a little scary at first but it was worth it. I'm a bit sore but other than that, I feel good and I'm glad it did it.

I'm glad you're doing ok, and it went well. Congrats!

I really want to have one as well, but don't have the funds right now.
#20 Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

That's why I'm happy to be in Canada or else I probably wouldn't have had the procedure done. How much does it cost in the US?
#21 Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Beginner

US costs vary greatly...if you don't have insurance, you pay full price. If you do have insurance, it's highly likely that you will have to pay full price anyway. (I don't know how much the procedure costs, because there are several different methods, and I think the price varies depending on what type you get.)

There's this funny problem with many US insurance plans...they'll cover pregnancy costs and other things, but many don't cover birth control or tubal ligation. Typically, when a company decides to offer health insurance to its employees, they choose which options to make available to their employees. (So, for instance, if they want to cover the cost of brith control, then the plan will cost more to the company and the employees than a plan that does not cover birth control.) Many companies choose not to offer the birth control option - which is very sexist and problematic on so may levels. (In the long run, it's cheaper to pay for birth control than to pay for pregnancy, childbirth, and potential pregancy/childbirth complications, like having a premie who needs to stay in the hospital for a month.)

However, some companies are starting to offer birth control coverage, and some even cover the cost of tubal ligation. (These companies are usual very large or more progressive, like some universities - usually the same types of companies that consider providing same sex partner benefits.)

I think there are some laws and lawsuits under consideration that argue for more widely available birth control. For instance, one Catholic workers' group is suing their diocese for refusing to provide birth control coverage, on the basis that the decision to withhold birth control coverage was not due to financial considerations, but because of the anti-birth control stance of the Catholic Church. Since it is not a prerequisite for the job that you be Catholic, then it is unfair to the non-Catholics who work there (I think it's a social services agency) to have the religious tenets of the Catholic church used as a deciding factor as to whether birth control should be available.

Whatever the outcome, it is great that more companies are starting to provide birth control coverage and tubal ligation coverage.

I work for a huge university, and my cost for a tubal ligation is $100. SO I'm seriosuly considering taking advantage of that, because I doubt I would ever find such great coverage anywhere else (and I don't plan on working here for the rest of my life, so I should do it now.) Also, my birth control is covered the same way that other prescriptions are covered (with a co-pay). That's also great, since many times birth control is excluded from the list of covered prescriptions.

Does that help answer your question? Or did I totally muddy the waters?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page