VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Women's Health Issues (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33-women-s-health-issues/)
-   -   Beauty Without Makeup (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33-women-s-health-issues/45600-beauty-without-makeup.html)

Cassiel 02-11-2006 11:04 PM

So, I'm sure I'm not the only one around here who really hates to wear makeup. First you have the difficulty of finding something cruelty free (though it's not so difficult so that's not much of an excuse), then there's the trouble of keeping it fresh looking and trying to find the colors that are right for you and the feeling of it suffocating your skin and just the overall hassle of putting it on...and...well...once a tomboy, always a tomboy, and I just hate makeup.

SO, my question is, what do you do, if anything, to enhance your natural looks? Cleanliness is obviously a given. I've also been told repeatedly that eating lots of fruits and vegetables is important to healthy skin, but as a near-vegan I already eat tons of them (hardly anything else!). I've observed that my cheeks seem rosier when I'm eating lots of deep-yellow or deep-red veggies, but other than that (which could be my imagination), I don't know of diet things that help. Sometimes I just look very plain to myself, and while it's not enough to make me want to slather on blush or lipstick, I'd like to do something... I run every day, I drink lots of water, eat nutritiously, and I smile. What do you do?

Amy SF 02-11-2006 11:08 PM

I hate wearing makeup too (thank goodness, I thought I was the only one, and my mom and sister are always on my case about it ), and I'm terrible. I don't do much except drink tons of water and slather on lotion when my face feels like sandpaper.

misq17 02-11-2006 11:10 PM

I don't actually even own any makeup, but that's just because I'm too lazy and I would never wear it if I had it anyway. That and people would probably pass out if they saw me in makeup. I just smile a lot and try to be confident. I think anyone can be attractive if they are confident about themself, it just makes them look different.

Celtic_faery 02-11-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

I don't actually even own any makeup, but that's just because I'm too lazy and I would never wear it if I had it anyway. That and people would probably pass out if they saw me in makeup. I just smile a lot and try to be confident. I think anyone can be attractive if they are confident about themself, it just makes them look different.

That's good advice. I, myself can't leave the house without make up. But that's because I have serious self esteem issues. If I have no make up on I can't look another person in the eye and I would love to go make up free.

Katt Fink 02-11-2006 11:44 PM

I don't actually hate wearing makeup, I actually feel quite pretty when I do wear it (which is once a month at most).. it's the process of putting it on and getting it all perfect, which takes me forever because I am so inexperienced.

Yeah, my skin pretty much has a mind of its own. Diet, water consumption, beauty products - they really do not seem to significantly influence what kind of "mood" my skin will be in today. I've just been lucky most of my life with having relatively acne-free skin on my face, since I've been cursed with really severe keratosis pilaris up my whole arms, neck, chest, tushie and thighs (yeah, gross, I know). I think it's only fair that I don't have to put up with zits all over my face all the time.

Tesseract 02-12-2006 09:34 AM

Good health and self-confidence are the keys to real beauty. It seems to me that the best things you can do for your body (and it will show in your skin) are eat a wholesome diet, avoid tobacco and alcohol, get plenty of sleep, plenty of exercise, and plenty of water. I do most of those except I'm terrible on the exercise front. Self-confidence isn't nearly so easy.

Medesha 02-12-2006 10:20 AM

I am a total makeup junkie -- I love the stuff -- but I find it doesn't matter what I wear, really. Once I forget about my looks and start having fun, that's when people give me the most compliments.

zoebird 02-12-2006 10:37 AM

i don't wear make up unless i have to--like during the video shoot i'm doing next week. the color of the walls and stuff plus my blonde hair make me look washed out (as on the test films) and so i'm actually wearing make up for the first time since i was married (i think).

I generally dont' wear make up, and cleanliness, good health, and confidence are the keys to natural beauty. I do use natural lip balm (trader joes organic virtuoso). it feels nice.

jenna 02-12-2006 12:14 PM

Definitely drinking lots of water will help your skin. Cutting out smoking, alcohol and soda helps, as well. Self-confidence, yep, though that's a hard one for most people, I think. I know it is with me.

I've finally gotten to the point where if I wear anything at all, it'll just be some complexion coverup stuff. I wear natural lip balm, too, but that's it.

I also have been using 100% pure shea butter for a while now. I've noticed a definite improvement. I also don't use a lot of commercial/chemical items on my skin anymore.

Since I've been drinking green smoothies daily, I've noticed a difference, too.

ceryna 02-12-2006 01:52 PM

I rarely wear makeup, mostly out of laziness. I do feel better about myself when I wear it.

Ditto to what everyone else said, particularly the drinking water bit. Also, don't skimp on taking care of your skin with a good cleanser and moisturizer, and maybe exfoliate about once a week.

No matter how lazy I feel, I always moisturize. Now, if I could just work on drinking more water...

Cassiel 02-12-2006 01:59 PM

what's in a green smoothie, jenna?

The one part I really need to work on is getting more sleep. On the exercise front, I do pretty well, but sometimes I sacrifice sleep to exercise before work in the morning. There just aren't enough hours in a day!

Shea butter is one of the best finds ever, imho. I have crazy dry skin all over my body, but if I use my shea and coco butter lotion, I am silky-smooth.

What's your favorite exfoliant? Does anyone make their own skin care stuff?

Mskedi 02-12-2006 02:00 PM

I wear makeup when I'm on stage and when I go to weddings, but that's it.

I tend to look my best after exercising because my cheeks get all flushed. It lasts a long time, too (probably because I'm so pale), so there's one more benefit to exercise.

GhostUser 02-12-2006 02:13 PM

I rarely wear makeup, and when I do, it's usually mascara and tinted lip gloss. I cannot stand foundation.

I think a good skin care routine (besides nutrition and exersise) is essential.

I use my own blend , almond, sandalwood and rosemary oil at night after washing, and in the morning I just splash my face with water. It's a little oily at night but soaks all in and my skin is the better for it.

I also get about 4-6 facials a year. it's expensive, but with the money I save on makeup it evens out. I just met a really great esthetician(sp?) who's willing to trade with me (private yoga instuction) so I might be up to once a month, which is awesome.

Shadowlee 02-12-2006 11:25 PM

I don't wear makeup at all, except if I get dressed up. I wash and moisterise my face and wear sunscreen and that's about it.

As for being attractive, I figure that if people don't like the way I look, it's their problem, not mine. I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not. My husband finds me attractive, and that's all that matters to me.

I have noticed that the better my diet is, the better my skin looks.

GhostUser 02-13-2006 12:00 AM

i dont wear make-up--ever---i have severe allergies to everything--and cannot wear anything that has fragrance in it....my beauty regimine is baby wash--aloe vera and chapstick--simple and it works!!

peace and love

jenn

GhostUser 02-13-2006 12:10 AM

Okay I love makeup. I wear it very natural though. No foundation(hate it and have great skin) I like to wear a tinted moisturizer though. Do not do blush. I love eyeliner and mascara the best. I used to wear a lot of lipstick, but now I just love natural lipgloss colors or lipstick. Eyeshadow is just fun for me to play with. It is always natural too.(unless a big night out on the town) Do not wear it everyday.

Funny because I used to be so vain about makeup and now I go out of the house without it sometimes.

My big thing for me is that mascara and light eyeliner is a must. I was blessed with great skin, but cursed with little eyelashes.

rainbowmoon 02-13-2006 12:12 AM

I wear makeup most days but its not a big deal if I go with out it. I usually if not always curl my eyelashes, however, because they point downward and it seems like I look sad all the time. I also never leave the house without something on my lips, usually some kind of balm.

wannadisco 02-13-2006 04:49 AM

I like wearing makeup but dont wear it all the time. I like the fact that when I wear make-up it makes an impact because I don't wear it everyday. I dont wear it to conceal or 'enhance' myself, i wear it to change my appearence and to be creative. I know a lot of my friends (late teens, early twenties) who wouldnt dream of even popping to the shops without their makeup and thats kind of sad (no offence anyone who does this )

I do believe that a good skincare routine is very important, I use an exfoliating facewash called Angels on Bare Skin from Lush and also a really nice moisturizer from there that smells like tahini, heh. I have always been lucky with my skin though as I dont get spots (apart from that time of the month) and I have a good skin tone. I think its all down to personal choice I guess..

VegKitten84 02-13-2006 05:16 AM

I don't really have much of an opinion on make up. I don't really mind going with or without. I've been in photoshoots with my face completely covered in white powder and red eyeshadow all the way up to my temples, so normal everyday make up isn't really bothersome for me.

I always like to have a light coat of mascara on though, since I look really tired looking without it.

Shadowlee 02-13-2006 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannadisco View Post

I use an exfoliating facewash called Angels on Bare Skin from Lush

Ooooh, I love that stuff!!! Must buy more.

Tea Mirrors 02-13-2006 09:07 PM

Honestly, I really enjoy wearing makeup. I love using strange colors and making it look very fashionable. I also enjoy very classic looks that don't call for diverse shades.

I don't wear a lot of makeup although my makeup collection says otherwise haha. I own a ton of makeup since I enjoy collecting it but I don't use half of what I have. I generally just wear a translucent loose powder because my skin gets oily. I never wear foundation or anything tinted on my skin because 1) I HATE it 2) I tend to break out and 3) again...I hate it. Depending on the look I'm going for, I also wear an eyeshadow (never mascara. my eyelashes are like bushes already), lip balm, and some sort of lip color. It changes daily.

I feel beautiful with or without makeup. Makeup is fun for me when I'm feeling a bit giddy. I'm a creative person and I enjoy letting it show through my face. However, being bare and clean is equally beautiful to me.

piratebean 02-14-2006 08:52 AM

Just one more vote to say I don't wear makeup. I think the last time I wore any serious makepup was for my wedding, over three years ago. (And it turned out to be over 90 degrees that day, so, what do you know, the makeup quickly disappeared.)

For job interviews, I might use some powder, lip gloss, blush, and some basic brown eyeshadow. Again, the last time I did that was over a year ago.

I also must admit I have acne. (When oh when will this go away?) But there's no point in trying to cover it up, since that just leads to more acne. And I also hate it when someone has a big blob of coverup on their acne. That just makes it stand out more. (And I, for one, can never seem to find the right shade, so I would definitely get the polka-dot effect.)

I agree with others that it's more important for you to just be yourself than it is for you to paint your face. When I have makeup on, I feel so incredibly weird, like I have to keep my guard up so I won't end up with giant smears of face paint where I don't want them. Feeling that restricted can't possibly add to my 'inner beauty' - I certainly won't smile as much, or feel comfortable. And what's the point of trying to 'beautify' your face if you present such an uncomfortable self? -Well, that's just me, anyway.

Next time your out in public, imagine you were a photographer tryint to capture 'natural beauty' in women's faces. Take a good look at people. You will probably find, as I often do, that the people that look prettiest are the ones who don't have obvious makeup on. (They might have some on - you obviously aren't going to get so close as to be able to check that out - but I think the 'naked' face look is so much prettier than the "I've-just-put-six-pounds-of-cosmetics-on-my-face" look.)

I am not against makeup per se - some people need to wear it for their jobs, etc. But I certainly think we can be just as pretty without putting it on.

Azalea 02-14-2006 09:02 AM

I always wear makeup, unless I'm not leaving the house. The charitable view is that it's because of my self-esteem issues. The not so charitable view is that I wear makeup because I'm vain as hell. Maybe the truth falls somewhere in-between.

veggiewriter 02-14-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratebean View Post

I think the 'naked' face look is so much prettier than the "I've-just-put-six-pounds-of-cosmetics-on-my-face" look.)

I agree. Too much is SO much worse than none. However, since people tend to ask me if I'm ill when I neglect to put on blush and mascara, I usually wear them (I'm very fair-skinned).

vggiegirl 02-14-2006 12:53 PM

I don't wear it to my day job, because I am the only girl in the office working with a bunch of guys. So I really don't care.

I wear it always for my night job (hooker...j/k) at the bar. My tips would suffer if I didn't.

I also wear it when I go out. Not for running to the store, but if I were to go to breakfast or some other such function, I wear it. I focus on my eyes, because it's my best feature. I don't do foundation, but use coverup and powder when need be. I rarely wear dark lipstick. I usually stick to a subtle natural shade covered in gloss to pump my lips up a bit. They, unlike the rest of me, are thin.

CarbLover 02-14-2006 12:54 PM

I have really sensitive skin and I don't wear makeup unless I'm on a job interview. It tends to dry out or irritate my skin. I really resent the opinion that women aren't presentable or professional without makeup.

I wish I could find a natural way to get rid of dark circles without covering them though. These are a major problem for me as they make me look tired even when I'm not and give a bad impression.

Tesseract 02-14-2006 07:22 PM

I'm confused... how/when did this thread become a "do you wear makeup" poll? I thought the OP's question was about tips for looking your best without makeup.

karenlovessnow 02-14-2006 07:39 PM

Good point, so in that case....I definitely have an excellent diet, I exercise regularly and drink water. I keep my skin clean and use the neutrogena dermabrasion every now and then. But it doesn't seem to help my natural looks any. I'm not lucky enough to have "au naturale" = any semblance of natural beauty!

Azalea 02-15-2006 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I'm confused... how/when did this thread become a "do you wear makeup" poll? I thought the OP's question was about tips for looking your best without makeup.

yeahrr, I sort of noticed noticed that (.... and admittedly contributed to the confusion & offtopic-ness)

piratebean 02-15-2006 01:15 PM

Tess,

I think we moved it to a discussion of 'do you wear makeup' because the implict idea is that we can look great without makeup, without taking any extraordinary steps.

You'll never find me on the cover of a magazine or in a photo shoot, but I think I look fine without makeup (and I even have acne, but who cares?). So, to answer the OP directly: I don't think we have to do anything to look great without makeup, except take care of our health in general (drinking water, eating helathy, etc.). (And do the obvious things, like washing and moisturizing, as necessary.)