Beauty Without Makeup - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

#31 Old 02-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate makeup and haven't worn it (except lipstick at weddings) in 17 years. My skin's in pretty good shape. I eat very well (vegan, mostly whole foods), exercise regularly, and drink lots of water. I wash my face in the morning with Dessert Essence (I think that's the brand) Thoroughly Clean Facewash and use Trader Joe's facial moiturizer. I get the occasional zit, but my bf says my face "glows."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't even like to leave my room without makeup on. I can't walk into school with a bare face. I can think of only a handful of people outside my family who have ever seen me without makeup. Ever since I moved, I've not been able to leave my house without wearing at least some makeup. Most days now, I don't spend too much time on my makeup, 15 minutes at most.

I wash my face twice a day (in the morning with Morning Burst and at night with a gentle Avon makeup remover), wear an SPF 15 oil-free moisturizer every day (and a higher SPF if I'm doing something in the sun), use tea tree oil on blemishes and try to keep my hands away from my face. Other than that, I don't do anything 'natural' to enhance my looks.

I really hope this changes as I grow older and learn to accept myself as a person. Until then, I can't deal with looking at my dark circles, blemishes and boring eyes and will continue to use makeup anytime I leave my house.
#33 Old 02-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Beginner

I'm definitely into make-up. I enjoy working with it and I find it to be a fun outlet for my creativity. I actually get psyched up when I buy a new product or try a new color lipgloss. (Sorry if it sounds cheesy.) The thing is, I work in a professional job where creativity is stifled. I am okay with going out without make-up, but I tend to feel more confident with it on. I'm in sales and I find that if I walk into a place and want to be noticed before I even speak, the make-up does it for me everytime.

The conclusion I've come to though is that no matter what you think about how you look in make-up or without it, someone out there thinks you look beautiful either way!
ReturnOfSaturn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 02-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

The only makeup I wear is eye-makeup (the animal-friendly kind). I'm not ashamed to show off my true features. I refuse to "blind my face with beauty paste."
#35 Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Is Chapstick considered makeup? I wear alot of chapstick, but i dont wear make up. Occasionally i will put on mascarra, but i dont like make up. My sister wears tons and she spends so much money on it, I'd rather spend that money on a new sweater for this Conecticut weather
#36 Old 02-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Exercise makes me break out. Has anyone else noticed this? I think it might have something to do with the sweat, but I don't know. I hadn't had back acne since I was in my early teens, then when I started exercising I started getting it again (thought not as bad), as well as more pimples on my face. I always take a shower and wash off right afterward, but it's quite annoying.
#37 Old 02-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned consuming flax seed oil, or raw ground flax seed. That helps a lot (I haven't tried the former, but I heard it's better than the latter. I keep forgetting to get the oil). I've noticed that my skin is blotchy if I skip on the ground flax seed for a few days. Normally I have about 1-2 tablespoons a day, with oatmeal, or in a smoothie, or just with some soymilk. It's important to keep the grounds in the freezer (and I think the oil needs to be in the fridge).

Otherwise, have lots of water, don't overdo it on sugar and caffeine, and be careful about sun exposure. You need some, but not too much.

Don't shower with really hot water, wash with a mild cleanser, wash your face once a day before going to bed (I used to do it first thing in the morning, and then I read on another board that you should do it at night so you're not pushing your dirty face on a pillow case all night. There was a small improvement.)

Finding a haircut that really suits you also helps. When my hair's too long or wild, I feel like I look awful until I get it cut back to chin-length again. Not everyone looks good with long hair/short hair/curly hair/straight hair/etc.
mecanna likes this.
#38 Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Come to think of it, there probably are other dietary factors to my good skin such as eating flax meal most days and the fact that my diet is refined sugar and caffeine free.
#39 Old 02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Looking great without makeup is mostly the result of radiant health or good genes.
#40 Old 02-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbLover View Post

Exercise makes me break out. Has anyone else noticed this? I think it might have something to do with the sweat, but I don't know. I hadn't had back acne since I was in my early teens, then when I started exercising I started getting it again (thought not as bad), as well as more pimples on my face. I always take a shower and wash off right afterward, but it's quite annoying.

Yeah, the same thing happens to me. I often avoid exercising for a few days before a big event, because I break out, especially on my back.
#41 Old 02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

Looking great without makeup is mostly the result of radiant health or good genes.

Thanks for dissin' my genes!

*this space not for sale*
#42 Old 02-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the sweating/breaking out thing may be related to overactive or irritated sweat glands. A friend of mine said when he took hot yoga, he sweated SO much that he developed a horrible rash all over his body where his sweat glands were workign double-time-- I bet it's the same effect.

And no, I would not consider lip balm to be makeup unless it's tinted.
#43 Old 02-16-2006, 08:10 PM

That is a different case to me. The more I sweat, drink water, and work out, the clearer my skin is.
#44 Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 AM

I wish I looked prettier without make-up. I think I look very washed out without it -- and I have a LOT of ruddiness too.
#45 Old 02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

That is a different case to me. The more I sweat, drink water, and work out, the clearer my skin is.

Ditto for me.
#46 Old 02-22-2006, 01:31 PM

i dont wear make-up, its too annoying. and when i do wear it i get paranoid, like my eyeliner or whatever will smudge nd il resemble a panda. i do love nailvarnish though, im wearing florescent green at the moment :P
#47 Old 02-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

i never wear make up, mascara on occasion , and lip balm just coz they hurt otherwise but thats it.

my skin only went through a bad patch when i was living out of home at first and living off pizza and cookies so i second your thought that diet has a lot to do with it.

i dont know if theres any weight to my suggestions but -

i find that if im getting enough iron i dont look as washed out (or maybe thats just coz i have the energy to run around and look glowy?)

the more carrots and orange veggies i eat the better my skin looks.

the less salt i eat, the better my skin looks.

thats pretty much all i can come up with. i dont use face creams and all that stuff but i probably should. its just too hard to spend valuable money on things like that when my skin's happy and glowy as is, y'know? i might regret that when im 40 though.. hmmmm
#48 Old 02-26-2006, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

One not quite makeup thing that is often overlooked is petrolium jelly. It's a great eye makup remover and moisturizer but it can also be used to brighten tired eyes. Don't slather it on, though, just a light film over lids and lashes can look great. Might need to comb out the lashes afterwards.

And regardless of how much water you drink or how many apples you eat a day, you'll look like crap if you don't sleep long or well enough. Get a good pillow and make your sleeping area as comfortable as possible, with no distractions like a tv or dirty laundry in the room.
#49 Old 02-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I wear makeup. I don't need it, but I like it. I take very good care of my skin and here, in no paricular order, is my top 10 must list for great no-makeup faces:

1. cleanse twice a day

2. exfoliate (mildly) once a day

3. MOISTURIZE!!! with SPF, Sooooo important! The sun is your skin's enemy! Don't forget your eyes and lips!

4. Eat a healthy well balanced diet

5. Drink enough water!

6. Keep your hands off your face as much as possible and be gentle when you do touch your face, especially around your eyes.

7. Avoid smoke (if you smoke, quit, it's killing you)

8. Go easy on the alcohol

9. Sleep enough. When you're tired, it shows.

10.Minimize stress (excercize, meditate, don't sweat the small stuff, etc...)

If you hate makeup, but need a little color to perk up your look some days, try Benetint, by Benefit. Its a cheek and lip stain and goes on like water and feels like nothing at all. It looks natural and pretty.
#50 Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM

I haaate it when a girl wears makeup. I think makeup is stupid and pointless. Why to most woman think that they have to put on a mask to look beautiful or acceptable? I love natural woman. I won't even kiss someone if they have lipstick or gloss on.
#51 Old 03-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I hate makeup but can't live without it. I'll only use about 3 different products on my face (foundation, blush, brow pencil). I've had bad skin since I was 13 (I'm 22 now) and now I have red blotchy acne scars on my cheeks, although the zits are mostly gone. Most of the scars have faded, but heat will usually make them noticeable. I also have dark eye circles all the time (it's genetic...trust me, I drink tons of water and get lots of sleep!) I would LOVE to look great without makeup, but unfortunately my skin just won't let me do that.

I've found that eating less dairy makes a huge difference in my skin. Excercise makes my skin seem more clear too for some reason. I guess because you are sweating out the impurities? I dont' know, but I need to start exercising again! I did that all the time last year and after a few months I was practically zit-free.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#52 Old 03-04-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I've had bad skin since I was 13 (I'm 22 now) and now I have red blotchy acne scars on my cheeks, although the zits are mostly gone. Most of the scars have faded, but heat will usually make them noticeable. .

Have you tried either enzyme masks or an AHA product to help fade the scars? I like Zia Papaya Enzyme Peel and Jason's 12 1/2 Oil Free AHA gel to help fade past scars and even out my skin tone. I wouldn't use AHA's for a long time, but just temporarily now to help fade some scars. There's tons of great enzyme masks/products though that could help!
#53 Old 03-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWavez View Post

Have you tried either enzyme masks or an AHA product to help fade the scars? I like Zia Papaya Enzyme Peel and Jason's 12 1/2 Oil Free AHA gel to help fade past scars and even out my skin tone. I wouldn't use AHA's for a long time, but just temporarily now to help fade some scars. There's tons of great enzyme masks/products though that could help!

No I haven't...what exactly is AHA? Where do you find them, from the drugstore? I do use other things on my skin, like this cucumber sea salt facial scrub once a week that seems to help. My skin is fairly sensitive so I try to use homemade stuff and stay away from masks...I had a bad reaction to the last mask I tried. I might be willing to try something with natural ingredients tho..

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#54 Old 03-05-2006, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

No I haven't...what exactly is AHA? Where do you find them, from the drugstore? I do use other things on my skin, like this cucumber sea salt facial scrub once a week that seems to help. My skin is fairly sensitive so I try to use homemade stuff and stay away from masks...I had a bad reaction to the last mask I tried. I might be willing to try something with natural ingredients tho..

AHA stands for alpha hydroxy acid, it sloughs away the dead skin cells and helps to fade scards and even out the skin tone. There are a lot of natural produtcts that have AHA's, mostly they come from things like sugar cane. If you go to some websites like mothernature.com or vitaminshoppe.com, you could browse through products. You can find most things at a health food store if you have one, or you can find them at the drugstore, but with less natural ingredients. You could also try a vitamin C serum, or a product w/ vitamin C to help fade marks also. Here's a few links for you:

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/beauty/ski...183140,00.html

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/sec...ex.cfm/s/98697

http://www.drugstore.com/templates/b...xp3=2&trxp4=ML
#55 Old 03-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Beginner

I don't wear makeup. I don't see the point personally. But there are some facial care products that I use, such as eye cream and face wash (I use MyChelle -- not tested on animals, free of parabens etc)
#56 Old 04-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I tell myself that I'm beutiful. I don't always do that, but I try to. And while it may not make other's feel the same way, at least I can carry my body with self confidence.

Then again, once a tom-boy, always a tom-boy, so maybe i'm just being "like that" once again.
#57 Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't wear make-up. My complexion is nice enough from a good diet that I no longer need it. I guess I'm kind of an all natural person too, so I don't like to use unnatural products.
#58 Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

On an average day, I wear concealer under my eyes and eyeliner and mascara on my top eyelid and lashes. I don't feel uncomfortable without make-up, and do go places without it when I so choose.

I have quite a bit of other things (like foundation, powder, eye shadow, lip color) that I use when I feel like it, but I only find myself using them once per month or less.
#59 Old 04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I wear eyeliner and eyeshadow everyday. I have really long and dark eyelashes so i only wear mascara on special occasions. I dont use any powders or foundation because they make my skin dry. On days i look really tired i'll put a few dots of concealer
#60 Old 04-06-2006, 08:30 PM

I wear makeup on occasion... I usually don't break out, so I don't use foundation or coverup. I have it for emergencies.

I moisturize every day, and when I do wear makeup, it's minimal. I stick to natural shades of eyeshadows and lip colors. A little blush and mascara, no eyeliner.

Just a question, does anyone have trouble putting on eyeliner without it looking too harsh? I have very fair skin and blue eyes, and it seems that eyeliners are just too dark for me. Any tips?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page