Birth Control Pill and loss of sex drive- permanent?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Prior to being on the pill, I had a very large sex drive. Then over like a 5 year period I went on and off the Pill which killed my sex drive, as well as a few different psych. medications that killed my sex drive. About 10 months ago I went off the Pill for good, and was happy to find my sex drive coming back. Except I feel like it's come back to a certain degree, and then plateaued. It's not what it used to be, and doesn't seem to be going up anymore Do you think the pill or maybe the psych. meds could have permanently lowered my libido?? Or do you think maybe over time it could still come back? I mean don't get me wrong, I still have one, it's just not like how it used to be, and I wish it was. Anyone experience this or have any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I was on the BC pill for about 8 or 9 years. My sex drive went waaaaaaaaaaaaay down and now it's so huge. I am 29 years old. I am scared to think what it will be like when I hit my peak! (hopefully this isn't my peak yet!)

I also went from not being able to "O" to being super mega multi-O w/ female ejaculate.

I'd say there's hope for you. But then again, I wasn't ever on anti-depressants.
#3 Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I spent over 10 years on oral contraceptives and it pretty much killed my sex drive. I just went off them last May and my libido started coming back right away. Like you, it's not like it was before I was on the pill, but that was 10 years ago at the start of a brand-new relationship, so I don't think that level of libido can be duplicated!

I hear that the 40's are most women's peak years, sexually speaking, and at 33, I'm very much looking forward to my 40's, because I'm not that great it now.
#4 Old 02-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

are you on psych meds now?

yes, the BCP does lower the sex drive, and even after being off it for 6-12months the sex drive can still be lowered.

however, psych meds will also lower it which is why maybe you've hit a plateau lower than it was before.
#5 Old 02-01-2006, 07:59 AM

I was on the pill for five years and it also killed my libido. I used to joke that the pill was so effective simply because I didn't want to have sex and felt so *****y that no one would want sex with me! Yuck, I hated being on the pill!!

My sex drive did return in all it's glory after I stopped taking the pill. I don't remember how long it took.
#6 Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

My sex drive is non-existent on the pill. But I like the option of skipping periods for months at a time. I've also taken several anti-depressants but am off all of them now.

I've thought about looking into any possible herbal supplements to help with this. I don't know...it sucks. More for my bf than me though. I don't really care either way.
#7 Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

I hear that the 40's are most women's peak years, sexually speaking, and at 33, I'm very much looking forward to my 40's, because I'm not that great it now.

I just have to say the whole 40's thing is so very, very true (for me anyway!) Woo hoo!

I'm on BCP and have been off and on, for years; they used to have quite a negative effect on my sex drive (or maybe it was just my age/experience/relationship - who knows) but I started them again several years ago to minimize the heavy periods I was having and they haven't affected my libido at ALL...

I'm DEFINITELY enjoying being 40!!
#8 Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM

Hi...

I am a 23 years old female and I'm in a couple with a wonderful 19 years old female also. We have been together for a year and a half and barely ever had a sex life. It was me it bothered the most, her sex drive was non existant and so was mine but in my head I wanted to have sex with her. After doing much online research I came accross very horrifying news. I read in several articles that a woman's sex drive could be gone forever if they ever were on the pill. I have always been very sexual previous to taking the pill and wondered why during all my sexual contacts (after the pill) didn't feel like much. I couldnt even have an orgasm, and that is something I had been achieving by myself since the age of 8 years old! I only found out about the side effects of the pill (ortho trycyclen) this year... is it too late? My gf has taken it for 3 years and me 5. We both stopped in october 2005. I know everyone is telling me to give it time but Ive heard enough women saying it never came back that it freaks me out. We both have nearly no sexual feelings or sensation, even with much stimulation. My gf has also been VERY sexual previous to the pill. So I was wondering if any of you knew if Vitex or Dong quai really workds to rebalance hormones and bring back libido, and if anyone in this situation needed to talk about it. Thanks!
#9 Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Your sex drive is going to change naturally over 10 years, and your emotional/mental health, plus your diet and level of exercise, is going to affect it.

I also found my libido decreasing substantially on the pill; I was so happy when my husband got a vasectomy.
#10 Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I just have to say the whole 40's thing is so very, very true (for me anyway!) Woo hoo!

I'm DEFINITELY enjoying being 40!!

So what you're saying is could very well have at least another 15 years of blow-my-mind sex ahead of me? Awesome!
#11 Old 02-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyK View Post

So what you're saying is could very well have at least another 15 years of blow-my-mind sex ahead of me? Awesome!

Ooooooh yeah... - and believe me, I have no intention of giving up mind-blowing sex when I get past my 40's! You know what they say about us "older women"!!!
#12 Old 02-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

The pill totally killed my sex drive, along with giving me numerous other side effects that made my life miserable. I just can't handle the hormones, even on the low-dose pills. The nuvaring, which is the lowest hormone dose on the market (which is possible because the hormones are delivered directly into the bloodstream via the vaginal walls) was even too much for me.

DH and I are using a combination of FAM and condoms. We abstain when I'm fertile and use condoms the rest of the time. I have my sex drive back. I'm also taking Paxil CR, which is supposed to not have the sex drive reducing effect that regular Paxil can have. I've only been on it two weeks, though, so I don't know for sure how it's going to work for me.

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#13 Old 02-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikawah View Post

Hi...

I am a 23 years old female and I'm in a couple with a wonderful 19 years old female also. We have been together for a year and a half and barely ever had a sex life. It was me it bothered the most, her sex drive was non existant and so was mine but in my head I wanted to have sex with her. After doing much online research I came accross very horrifying news. I read in several articles that a woman's sex drive could be gone forever if they ever were on the pill. I have always been very sexual previous to taking the pill and wondered why during all my sexual contacts (after the pill) didn't feel like much. I couldnt even have an orgasm, and that is something I had been achieving by myself since the age of 8 years old! I only found out about the side effects of the pill (ortho trycyclen) this year... is it too late? My gf has taken it for 3 years and me 5. We both stopped in october 2005. I know everyone is telling me to give it time but Ive heard enough women saying it never came back that it freaks me out. We both have nearly no sexual feelings or sensation, even with much stimulation. My gf has also been VERY sexual previous to the pill. So I was wondering if any of you knew if Vitex or Dong quai really workds to rebalance hormones and bring back libido, and if anyone in this situation needed to talk about it. Thanks!

AFAIK, there are no studies indicating that the sex drive is permanently impaired. the longest discontinued use studies i have seen have been 12month removal of BCP, whereupon the patients still had diminished sex drive as monitored by hormones and other things in the blood.

if you both stopped 4-5months ago and have ABSOLUTELY no sexual feeling or sensation (by which i assume you mean response to touch) i would go to the doctor.

alternative to that--could it possibly be the relationship?
#14 Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

are you on psych meds now?

yes, the BCP does lower the sex drive, and even after being off it for 6-12months the sex drive can still be lowered.

however, psych meds will also lower it which is why maybe you've hit a plateau lower than it was before.

No I'm not on them anymore, I've been off them even longer then the Pill. The only medication I now take is Protonix...I wonder if that could lower sex drive? Then again I can't function without that type of med.

catswym- it's totally NOT the guy, I'm madly inlove with my boyfriend and we now live together He's TOTALLY sexy too, so that's not it. When I had my "normal" sex drive before, I could hook up with whatever random loser and still want to get some. I swear, I used to have a guy's sex drive!
#15 Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm on the pill and my sex drive is insanely high so I'm really no help.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#16 Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

AFAIK, there are no studies indicating that the sex drive is permanently impaired. the longest discontinued use studies i have seen have been 12month removal of BCP, whereupon the patients still had diminished sex drive as monitored by hormones and other things in the blood.

if you both stopped 4-5months ago and have ABSOLUTELY no sexual feeling or sensation (by which i assume you mean response to touch) i would go to the doctor.

alternative to that--could it possibly be the relationship?

Well see I can bring myself to orgasm within a short enough amount of time (compared to a HOUR when I was on ortho tri-cyclen+ Effexor XR!!!) up until the orgasm I wont be feel sexual pleasure. My gf is the same way.... who do you go see when you dont have a family doctor??? We've been wanting to see one for a while but who do you see just go to the no appointment clinic, wait and look stupid for calling that an "emergency"?
#17 Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I'm on the pill and my sex drive is insanely high so I'm really no help.

What pill are you on?
#18 Old 02-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well see I can bring myself to orgasm within a short enough amount of time (compared to a HOUR when I was on ortho tri-cyclen+ Effexor XR!!!) up until the orgasm I wont be feel sexual pleasure. My gf is the same way.... who do you go see when you dont have a family doctor??? We've been wanting to see one for a while but who do you see just go to the no appointment clinic, wait and look stupid for calling that an "emergency"?

A gynocologist.
#19 Old 02-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

#20 Old 02-02-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

A gynocologist.

But see a gynecologist will look at the physical part of the problem, not your hormones.
#21 Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

A good gynecologist will look at the total picture. Your hormones are physical; they're an aspect of your body's health and chemistry.
#22 Old 02-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What pill are you on?

ortho cyclen

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#23 Old 02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrrrl79 View Post

No I'm not on them anymore, I've been off them even longer then the Pill. The only medication I now take is Protonix...I wonder if that could lower sex drive? Then again I can't function without that type of med.

i don't know that med so i can't speak to that.

Quote:

catswym- it's totally NOT the guy, I'm madly inlove with my boyfriend and we now live together He's TOTALLY sexy too, so that's not it. When I had my "normal" sex drive before, I could hook up with whatever random loser and still want to get some. I swear, I used to have a guy's sex drive!

oh, sorry, i should have specified--i was asking chikawah that question. yours seems as thought it probably is medication related.

and chikawah--the gynecologist will draw blood to test hormone levels.
#24 Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Ditto to what others said about the gynecologist..a competent doctor will look at the big picture.

There were one or two studies similar to the one to which zoe linked, that came out last fall. I read them with interest, as it's likely I'm going to be on chemical bc for awhile. I'm curious though, to see if they're doing test with other forms of estrogen, as there seems to be a big difference in the way it works in women's bodies.

So far though, I'm in the same boat as rc. When my love is near, most days I have the urge to knock him to the ground and have my way with him.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#25 Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

my sex drive has been the same, and i've been on b/c since i was 17... (i'll be 20 soon).. i'm on nuva ring now and i have a fairly high libido, but i am not currently in a relationship so i'm not currently having sex..
#26 Old 02-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

When I first whet on them mine was ok for about six months and then I started noticing a difference. I would say it took almost 3-4 years after stopping them to start getting it back.
#27 Old 02-04-2006, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I have trouble with it, but it could be due to my antidepressants as well. Next time I go to the doctor I want to ask about getting an IUD.
#28 Old 02-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Banned

I've been on the pill for over 8 years and have had no problems with libido. My heart goes out to all the women who have. Still, I don't want girls interested in birth control reading this thread to think it happens to everyone, so just thought I'd share my experience.
#29 Old 02-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm the same bstutzuma.. i have no probs with libido at all.. right now i'm not in a relationship, so i'm not having sex, but i still have my libido...
#30 Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 PM

Miss Meg. it took you 3-4 YEARS TO GET YOUR LIBIDO BACK????? that is quite scary! :S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page