Period M.I.A. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Really sorry if this has been covered before, but I've skimmed these boards and the rest of the internet and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for...

So, my last period was before Halloween. I am pretty sure I'm not pregnant because I've taken 4 at-home tests which all came up negative. I know they aren't 100% accurate, but 4 false negatives seems a little improbable to me. Also, I figure I'd be showing and having morning sickness by now, right? I do have a history of irregular periods and missing one here and there but I've never missed 3 in a row. I am finally going to the doctor tomorrow and I'm just trying to prepare myself for what I might find out. So, besides being pregnant, what could 3 missed periods possibly be indicating? I'm pretty nervous, so wish me luck... Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Ankle Biter

I just want to wish you well tomorrow! I'm glad you are going to the doctor to get this figured out.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm. Well, missing periods can be a result of exercising too much, or not eating enough. Are you doing either of those? Also, if your bodyfat is too low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Hmm. Well, missing periods can be a result of exercising too much, or not eating enough. Are you doing either of those? Also, if your bodyfat is too low.

My situation is just the opposite! hahahaha... I don't exercise at all, I'd say I eat too much, and my body fat % is definitely much, much higher than "normal/healthy." Thanks for the suggestion, though.
#5 Old 01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Beginner

Have you lost weight recently? Have you become a lot more fit recently?

I have never had problems with my period except once. For ten years I got allergy shots until they stopped working. Went to the allergist and he gave me a shot of cortisone (I think that's what it was) in the butt to make my allergies better.

Well, my allergies got better, but then I had a period for six weeks. Just constant dripping. Finally it went away. But I'd worried for about a month before I made the connection. When I said something to the allergist he was like "oh, yeah, that is a side effect."

The point is that you may have had some change in your medical or physical or emotional life that you haven't connected that is the cause of this.

I believethe real worrying is better saved for those who have lots of pain and lots of period, not a lack of period.

Good luck at the doctor.
#6 Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Beginner

Oh, yeah. Another thing.

Could be your thyroid. My mother had trouble with it as a teenager--6 mos of period, followed by six months off. Went on and on until she went to doctor.

Come to find out she was hypothyroid. Had gained a lot of weight because of it, too. They'll probably check your thyroid.
#7 Old 01-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocsoymilk View Post

Oh, yeah. Another thing.

Could be your thyroid. My mother had trouble with it as a teenager--6 mos of period, followed by six months off. Went on and on until she went to doctor.

Come to find out she was hypothyroid. Had gained a lot of weight because of it, too. They'll probably check your thyroid.

Yes, if anything, I've gained weight over the past few months (unintentionally, and not a lot, but a few lbs). I went to the doctor a few years ago after missing 1 period and had all the vitals tested and nothing weird came up, but it doesn't mean something's not amiss now, I guess. Regarding what you said about allergy shots and all: lately, I haven't been getting allergy shots as frequently as I should (2 shots, once a week) simply because my schedule has been conflicting with the allergist's... hmmmm.... I wonder....

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
#8 Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Carrying too much weight can stop your period too, as the excess weight somehow messes with the hormones, etc, etc... but that's usually for those women who are truely grossly and morbidly obese (not just "somewhat overweight"). Sorry, just adding another idea there, but NOT saying it applies to you AT ALL!
#9 Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Good luck with the doctors, I really hope things go well!
#10 Old 01-18-2006, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Carrying too much weight can stop your period too, as the excess weight somehow messes with the hormones, etc, etc... but that's usually for those women who are truely grossly and morbidly obese (not just "somewhat overweight"). Sorry, just adding another idea there, but NOT saying it applies to you AT ALL!

Hehehehe... yeah, I mean I'm not quite to the point of needing gastric-bypass just yet but I am pretty, let's say.. zaftig, hah! For the record, I was very thin for a few years there, in my mid-to-late teens. Lost the weight very quickly and not in the healthiest manner (about 80lbs in less than 1.5 years). Then one day everything seemed to reverse itself, and then I went on a medication that is notorious for a weight gain side effect, plus discovering vegan cookies and the like did not help my case. Needless to say I gained it all back, plus a few for good luck () faster than I had lost it. But that happened about 2-3 years ago now so I don't see why it might still have an affect on me at this point. Still possible, though I suppose. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Thanks, R.C.!
#11 Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

i would guess that it's a thyroid problem.
#12 Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM

Weight change was a reason for me too. I once lost 30 lbs in one month and was getting my period everyday. Apparantly estrogen is stored in fat so any weight change either way could impact it. Hope you find the problem.

star
#13 Old 01-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i would guess that it's a thyroid problem.

Could that also be linked to my body's ongoing struggle against not gaining weight? I have a hard time keeping myself from gaining weight, let alone trying to maintain or lose (impossible!). It just seems that my body habitually puts on a few pounds every few months for no apparent reason. Every time I tweak my diet to eat a little less, or a bit healthier it seems to slow the gain down for a few weeks or so, but then it resumes... almost like as soon as my body acclimates to the change it goes back to its normal pace of gaining weight for no reason. I just don't get it.

*sigh* So anyway, the appointment went fine, Dr. said everything *looks* healthy and I definitely don't appear pregnant. Did some bloodwork and said they'd call if there was anything to write home about. They never called, so I guess that means everything's fine, which worries me, I hate when some part of my body isn't working correctly but there's nothing "wrong"....
#14 Old 01-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

The weight thing you mentioned can also be a sign of a thyroid problem.
#15 Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Ask for a full Thyroid panel..T4 AND T3 included.Dont let them tell yoou its normal, get the actual numbers from them.Write them down and research them.You really want to be a 1 or a 2.But they say 1-5 is normal.I would feel like crap at 5 and its possible your period may be missing due to that.

Its also possible that it has nothing to due with thyroid or your weight.Its possible that it is a fertility issue/I would look further into for sure!!! Very important to have a period!

You could seek a second oppionion and also you could get an OPK..to check and see if you are indeed ovulating?

Good Luck and keep us up to date!
#16 Old 01-26-2006, 01:15 AM
Beginner

I have an extra period this week if you need it I would be very happy to give it to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page