amenorrhea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-06-2006, 08:58 PM

I'm wondering if anyone else was or is amenorrheaic (is that even a word?) and what they've used to try and get their period back.

A bit of my background story - I haven't had a menstrual cycle since February of 2005.

I'm a recovering anorexic and my weight in Feb of 2005 was fairly low for my height.

Since then I've put on 18lbs (giving me a normal BMI of 20.8) and my period still hasn't returned.

My body fat isn't low either (it's around 19%).

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Baby Love

What does your doctor say about all this?

Is it possible, that even though you've reached a healthy weight you may still be undereating and/or overexercising? Other possible causes include stress, hormonal imbalances, and other medical issues. I don't have amenorrhea, but I do sometimes skip periods due to hormonal balances and ovarian cysts. If you haven't already, talk to your doctor.
#3 Old 01-06-2006, 09:10 PM

I'm eating a normal amount of calories and only exercising 4x a week.

I should talk to my doctor again...it's been a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 PM

Congratulations on your recovery. I agree with Jinga about talking to your Doc. But - it may be that your body simply needs more time. Continue to be good to yourself...
#5 Old 01-06-2006, 09:53 PM

A good friend of mine who is a recovered anorexic started getting her period again only after going on the (birth control) pill. She recently went off it in hopes of trying to start a family and her period disappeared again. I agree with the others that a phone call to/appointment with your general doctor or gynecologist is in order.
#6 Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

welcome, I see you are quoting Mitch Hedburg in your siggy as well.

This thread should help: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ght=amenorrhea
#7 Old 01-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

a large part of having a healthy fertility cycle is through nutrition. sadly, the information about it is hard to come by.

i recommend starting with Garden of Fertility and some of Susun Weed's books (and yes, her name is Susun). she has some fabulous herbalism books for women in various stages of life.

but, eating disorders do so much damage to the adrenal glands that they may be greatly damaged and they may not completely heal, which may lead to infertility or be the cause of infertility among some anorexic women.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page