A new tampon commercial that I've seen - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been seeing this new tampon commercial for all natural tampons with a card board applicater instead of plastic. What is odd, is that this is made by a very popular tampon industry, and I have never seen them with earth friendly products before. Is this commercial just a lot of hype, and the words all nautural are (once again) being abused? Or are these really are good tampons?

I've been using organic, because when I used unorganic pads, my periods were much worce. But could this be a cheaper, healthy, earth friendly alternative?

I'm trying to think of the name of this company. It's the one that always have tampon commercails. The one that makes the pearl ones, or whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

It's tampax. The first tampon I ever used actually was the Tampax with the cardboard applicator... they've been out for ages.
#3 Old 11-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

lol, that was my first tampon, too!

now i use OB.... easier for me to use...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

They've been around for a long time. I always think they hurt, but that's probably just me.
#5 Old 11-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the cardboard applicator was my first tampon too. I always found the applicators unwieldy and unnecessary though. A lot of extra waste, for sure, and harder to stick in a pocket or purse if you're going out. OB without the applicator works best for me too.
#6 Old 11-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

The applicator is unneccessary- I use the ones without.

BTW all the major tampon brands contain rayon, linked to health problems.

Why not try the all-cotton NatraCare tampons (biodegradable)?

Or a Keeper/DivaCup?
#7 Old 11-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by organica View Post

Why not try the all-cotton NatraCare tampons (biodegradable)?

Or a Keeper/DivaCup?

I second the Keeper! I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it- it really is 'all natural' (made from natural gum rubber), there's virtually zero waste involved with it, and because it's reusable you're saving yourself a lot of money over time! You can find it at Whole Foods, your local co-op, or online. It costs $30 and can last up to 10 years.

Just get one and forget about the tampons all together.
#8 Old 11-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

What??? I've only been using cardboard applicators when I don't use OB. That's so funny how they are acting as if it's new. I have used very few plastic applicators in my whole life.
#9 Old 11-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post

They've been around for a long time. I always think they hurt, but that's probably just me.

I'm the exact opposite ... I've been using mainly cardboard since day one. The plastic applicators have pokey things at the end when you push the tampon out.
#10 Old 11-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I used cardboard applicators... until I started using OB no applicator (best choice for tampons is a no applicator, if you're looking at environmentalism)... and now I use a Keeper and haven't bought tampons in over 6 mos.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#11 Old 11-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I'm the exact opposite ... I've been using mainly cardboard since day one. The plastic applicators have pokey things at the end when you push the tampon out.

oh man yes they do. I use the cardboard ones. I don't like the OB and other ones w/o applicators. I prefer to keep my hands as far away from that mess as possible
#12 Old 11-27-2005, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

What??? I've only been using cardboard applicators when I don't use OB. That's so funny how they are acting as if it's new. I have used very few plastic applicators in my whole life.

Me too... The only plasic applicatiors I've used when I asked someone else for a tampon.

But I use the DivaCup now.
#13 Old 12-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I do use the organic ones from the health food stores. I was just thinking that it would be cheaper and more conveniant to use Tampax, seeing as how you can buy them ANYWHERE you go (just about). Also, my sister uses the plastic applicater kind from Tampax and hates organic stuff (I've tried, don't even bother...), so another advantage would be that I would be able to hopefully influence her into using a cardboard applicater and swiching to those. (she wouldn't do it for the environment )

But, I won't buy them unless they are healthy. I use to have 7-8 day long periods when I used unorganic pads (before tampon days, which I now have because of all the lovely ladies on this sight!), and after three months of using the organic kind now, I only have 3-5 day long periods, and they are much more comfertable (no stinging feeling like I use to have down there). Also, I won't use it if it's less biodegradable then the HFS sold tampons are.

NOTE: If you live near a Greenlife Grocery (there is one in Tenn. and NC) pads are on sale from now untill Jan. 1... thought that you might want to know. Packs are about $1 cheaper then usual.
#14 Old 12-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar26 View Post

I second the Keeper! I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it- it really is 'all natural' (made from natural gum rubber), there's virtually zero waste involved with it, and because it's reusable you're saving yourself a lot of money over time! You can find it at Whole Foods, your local co-op, or online. It costs $30 and can last up to 10 years.

Just get one and forget about the tampons all together.

Never heard of it. Please tell more!
#15 Old 12-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Ilovemydragon, here's the thread on the diva cup/keeper. It should answer most of your questions. https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=31931
#16 Old 12-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

It's tampax. The first tampon I ever used actually was the Tampax with the cardboard applicator... they've been out for ages.

heh, i wanted to try to use a tampon.. for once... and maybe make the switch.. and i tried... and... um, i felt lightheaded... adn then i thought, naw, im nto doing this... three seconds later, i woke up on the floor with my head hurting 'cause i fell head first onto the tiles in the bathroom..... i've never passed out in my life before or after this incidence.... needlesss to say, i havnt trried since, and i , now, have a fear of them.....
#17 Old 12-28-2005, 04:13 PM

For anyone in the UK interested in menstrual cups, there's the mooncup - google mooncup and it should send you to the site. I love mine! No leaks, easy to use and lasts ten years! It's fabulous!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page