my new thought on hormones - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-30-2005, 07:26 AM

For the past 4 years, I have been happily in bliss using the depo shot and not having to hassle with my period for this length of time. Then for the first time this past sunday, I got my period. What a shocker! I was kind of worried since I haven't had one in 4 years and called my local family planning place, and they said that was pretty normal. Anyway, since getting my period and reading some threads in the archives here about birth control and tampons, it just kind of hit me. In one of the threads it said if you were on hormones for 10 years it takes your body 2 years to get back to normal once you get off. That really got me thinking. Do I really want to be pumped full of hormones anymore? What will I be like (will I be different) once I stop taking hormones? I mean, I've been on them for a decent amount of time. Anyone else feel this way?

I'm thinking about making an appointment with my local family planning to discuss alternatives to hormones. I've discussed this with my boyfriend and he agrees that it's probably not "natural" or healthy to be on hormones anymore. I guess it was just one of those ah-hah moments. Kind of like I had been taking the depo for so long with no period I never questioned it, but when I did get my period it got me to reconsider it. I really hate having my period, but I guess it's meant to be. I dont' know if I'm asking for advice here or what, just thought I'd share as this has been on my mind for the past couple days. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

It really depends on the drug and somewhat on the person. Depo now has many warnings from the FDA. It is recommended that no one be on it more than 2 years because it weakens bones. I've been on triphasil/enpresse/trivora for almost 15 years, and I have asked multiple midwives about if it would make it difficult to conceive, if I should stop after 30 or take a break, etc. and they have all said it's safe to stay on them even into menopause if I want.

Hormones is very general. Most modern oral contraceptives are very low dose, but some are lower than others. Some have synthetic progesterone +synthetic estrogen or one or the other. Also there is yasmine which can put you at slight risk of excess potassium.

Do the research and don't lump everything together. Pregnancy is pretty damn risky to the body, too. Decide based on your needs and weighing your personal risks and benefits on the individual method vs. the alternatives. For example if off the pill, I would probably get an IUD.
#3 Old 08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Ankle Biter

For so many years, I had a heavy period every 23 days - ugh! Now, even though my hubbie's been snipped, I'm taking yasmine and loving the regularity of it. As one who's "natural" periods were a pain in the butt, this is a huge improvement in my quality of life. I 'm considering taking it through memopause, but we'll have to see how that goes. oh - and I went on it after having my kids...

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page