Vegan = painless periods? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

#61 Old 12-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post
What exactly do you want to know? I can explain the role that fatty acids have in period pain (after I get some sleep).
I was joking in a way, it would be awesome to link a diet to mild periods, but it is obviously more complicated than that. Everyone's is different, I would give a kidney to not have a period, but mother nature is very spontaneous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 12-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

I think giving up your uterus would have better results... :P

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#63 Old 12-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Giving up animal product definitely helped me but I still could be in severe pain. Animal foods have fatty acids and other compounds that can increase inflammation and I think my body is particularly sensitive to them. The only way I can guarantee that I'll be functional the first few days of my period is by taking Rx-strength NSAIDs for a week or eating a strict anti-inflammatory diet the week before I get my period and into the 2nd day.
Also, I started using a menstrual cup and cloth pads for mostly veg*n reasons and even tho I refused to wear tampons because they increased my cramps I can credit the increase in comfort from reusables to veg*nism =D

I agree with you and kiwibird, that it's probably also from chemicals. ..I use a menstrual cup and cloths now, and in the past six months started using plain aspirin instead of ibuprofen and if I do buy ibuprofen, there are brands without dyes now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 12-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I may have posted in this thread before, but I had the easiest menopause of anyone I've ever met. I've had maybe 10 mild hot flashes in the 5 years since menopause. I wonder if the vegan diet helped. My sister had a terrible time and ended up with a hysterectomy.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#65 Old 12-28-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I think giving up your uterus would have better results... :P
That's not a bad idea actually, joking.
#66 Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think giving up your uterus would have better results...
Or just stretching it out! I had terrible periods until after my son was born. Now, nothing. No cramps or anything. It's like a miracle!
Thalassa4 likes this.
#67 Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:
Originally Posted by animals82 View Post
That's not a bad idea actually, joking.
Oh I was serious about getting mine out and I had a list of things I wanted to do to it once it was out. Luckily I learned what causes my cramps and how to manage that. Well I know the direct cause, I'm still working on why my uterine tissue produces so much PGF2α.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Or just stretching it out! I had terrible periods until after my son was born. Now, nothing. No cramps or anything. It's like a miracle!
Yay!
I've heard that after birth/surgical abortion cramps can be a lot less sever. A few months ago I looked into using cervical dilation to treat cramps and I found this article on dysmenorrhea that is fascinating to me http://www.glowm.com/section_view/he...norrhea/item/9

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#68 Old 12-29-2015, 09:16 AM

Wonder what the black market price is for a uterus, get rid of my period and pay for college at the same time, why hasn't this occurred to me before? (I am joking!)
#69 Old 06-03-2016, 05:32 AM

I don't face such painful periods.
#70 Old 06-07-2016, 06:31 AM

I just went vegan about 2 months ago and so far my periods have been very light, basically spotting and only lasted 3-4 days when they used to last 5-7 days. At first I was worried then I got to thinking...it's probably because my body is no longer getting ridiculous amounts of hormones and chemicals! I agree something someone said in a previous post about our bodies trying to rid our toxins thru menstrual cycle. I mean I wonder what it was like for native americans back in the day? I bet it was so light they didn't need to do much about it. I'm gonna assume that meat was mostly eaten in the winters when fruits and veggies were not available. So it's like going back to basics is making my body be like it was intended. I realize everyone is different as I'm sure they probably were then too. I'll just have to hope that these light periods stay that way. I do believe diet affects our cycle though. It's interesting reading everyone's experiences
#71 Old 06-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan_V View Post
I just went vegan about 2 months ago and so far my periods have been very light, basically spotting and only lasted 3-4 days when they used to last 5-7 days. At first I was worried then I got to thinking...it's probably because my body is no longer getting ridiculous amounts of hormones and chemicals! I agree something someone said in a previous post about our bodies trying to rid our toxins thru menstrual cycle. I mean I wonder what it was like for native americans back in the day? I bet it was so light they didn't need to do much about it. I'm gonna assume that meat was mostly eaten in the winters when fruits and veggies were not available. So it's like going back to basics is making my body be like it was intended. I realize everyone is different as I'm sure they probably were then too. I'll just have to hope that these light periods stay that way. I do believe diet affects our cycle though. It's interesting reading everyone's experiences
Make sure you aren't losing too much weight...
#72 Old 06-07-2016, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Mm, I agree with Ledboots and wonder if suuuuuper light periods are perhaps not a great thing? When you think about it, the lining being shed is the lining there for a potential child and if you're someone who wants children you do want a decent lining there (not to mention hormones effect our brains and waning hormones have done some wacky things to me in my past when I got too thin due to illness etc.!) .

As for the actual topic, when I was vegan mine were painless and about 4 days long BUT they were also completely randomly spaced apart and usually ever 3 or 4 months... I had horrendous insomnia and shocking pre-menstrual moodswings (suicidal vibes the night before, like clockwork) and just felt all around awful. It may have been soy (things got a lot better when I drank less of that) but I think for me a little dairy has been a good thing and makes my whole cycle easier! That said, mine now go for 12 days.
But I think that's because I was experimenting with being eating local fish for a few months and am now back... ha. So we'll see...
#73 Old 06-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Interesting that so many people talk about soy destroying their cycles but it does seem that some people find it regulates them .
No humans are totally alike, and I like it!
#74 Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 PM

My periods are lighter and less painful now.

I used to be obese and would sometimes go months without getting my period.

When I lost weight (as an omnivore) eating a conventional healthy diet, I started getting my period regularly but I has bad cramps for about 2-3 days and my period would often last about a week.

Once I went vegan my period tamed down (I've been vegan for about 15 months now). I sometimes get cramps, but they aren't completely debilitating. I can handle them without ibuprofen and it is only for maybe a day (if at all). My period lasts about 4 days now.

I do eat some soy products, mostly soy milk (about 1 serving per day), and a few servings of tofu/tempeh per week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page