1 period in my lifetime... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM

i am 20 years old, and have had only 1 period.

i only feel comfortable discussing this with anonymous strangers (such as everyone on vb so i figured this would be the best place to ask... and i appreciate the advice.

so heres my situation. i was borderline anorexic 7th-8th grade, around 13 years old. i had just started to develop, and probably was about to start my period when i decided to start "dieting". i know this is a big reason that my period has been delayed. however, in high school i got back to a normal weight, on the thin side, but plenty healthy. i thought my period would naturally come back and it never did.

when i was 18, i went to the gyno and explained i didnt have a period. she prescribed me progesterone and something else along with it. i had one very light period, and then nothing.

i then went off the medication, frustrated.

ive still hoped to get it naturally, somehow. but it has never come back.

im so embarrassed! my boobs are really underdeveloped as well... i think bc i dont have enough estrogen in my system...?

thanks for replying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM

You have to keep taking the medication. It will take months to get back to normal because your hormonal system was underdeveloped. Unfortunately at the age of 13 most girls are just developing. Since your system was deprived of nutrients it did not develop. *hugs ya* go back to the gyno and ask for another type of treatment if this one is really not suitable.
#3 Old 08-09-2005, 12:16 AM

Hmm..since you're cool with talking with us "anonymous strangers", can you give us some more information. I'm thinking of things like how long you were on the b/c, was it only progesterone, how long has it been since you ditched the meds. Also, what do you mean by "thin" (then and/or now)? Weight is a big determining factor in amenorrhea. Also, do you exercise often?

It could be that you don't have enough estrogen, but it also may be that there's an excess of estrogen. This can result in a lack of ovulation, which can result in no period (it's a very inexact science though, lol)

There are many of us here who've struggled with girly troubles, so bring it on..we'll share what we know.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Veggie Regular

A ditto to what IamJen said-- You're in good company here..... spill.
#5 Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

like IAJ said: we need more info.

was it JUST progesterone? that is very important.

and the questions about weight/ diet/ exercise.

and either way, i would recommend going back to the doctor.
#6 Old 08-09-2005, 06:29 PM

hi ladies!!

thank you so much for replying, i really appreciate it.

i was on progersterone and estrace (i think it was some form of estrogen). to be honest, i gave them up really fast bc im so anti-drugs. i thought they would kick start my periods and then id have it naturally... but i guess i didnt stay on them long enough.

as far as the exercise, i played 2 years of high school and that was it. i didnt do much exercise in the off season. junior and senior year i barely exercised, and when i did it wasnt very intense. the only time i did some heavy duty exercise started last january, when i started serving at a very fast-paced restaurant practically full time. this job involved a LOT of heavy lifting and i actually hurt my back recently, so i wont be serving anymore.

as far as my diet/weight, ive eaten fairly healthily, but i dont eat as much when im under stress. also, i hate most things that have protein, so i think im lacking in that area. i try to eat beans, soy,, tvp, etc but i dont really like them

my weight has fluctuated... im 5 2 and 93 pounds right now. the past few months ive lost about 10 pounds from family stress and the new job... which i know is not good. all through high school, however, i was 105 -110 and still never got my period back.

maybe ive just thrown my body for a loop with all the changes??

thanks for replying.
#7 Old 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM

(high school basketball, that is)
#8 Old 08-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Hmmmm..honestly it still sounds like an issue of being underweight. Even when you were a bit heavier, you were still on the thin side. Also, it takes some gals awhile of being at a healthy weight before any period would appear. It sounds as though you've fluctuated a good bit.

Have you been to doc recently to make sure everything's okay (Pap smear, etc.). Did they have any suggestions?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 08-09-2005, 08:44 PM

I hear ya on the anti-drugs issue. speaking fro experience, I successfully triggered my own periods after amenorea by taking a combination of iron, evening primrose vitamin E calcium-magnesuim and vitamin B.

If you're unsure about drugs, as i was, go speak to a nutritionist or a herbalist who can direct you towards which vitamins and minerals you need to reestablish, or in your case, establish a balance. but everyone else above me is right too, it takes time. it took me six months and then some.

good luck!
#10 Old 08-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

sounds like good advice, so far...i agree with all of the above....

but especially with IAJ...you need to gain some weight...like 15 lbs or so as a minimum...

that should help...

another trip to the gyno couldn't hurt, either...
#11 Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as I've heard, the magic number for getting your period is 110lbs. You are seriously underweight and that could be why you aren't menstruating.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#12 Old 08-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

When I'm not on BC, I lose my period at 112 pounds or so. I definitely think you need to gain weight, hon.
#13 Old 08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Estrogen is stored in fat cells, and it is only when your estrogen levels reach a threshold that you ovulate. No ovulation often means no menstruation. The estrogen builds up in your cycle each month, and if it is unable to be sustained in your body because you do not have enough fat stores, that could be a possible explanation to the problem.
#14 Old 08-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

actually you can menstruate without ovulating, but it is still a function of having enough estrogen for the body to be signaled to build up a uterine lining. not enough estrogen = no blood lining = no period.
#15 Old 08-11-2005, 11:50 AM

thank you everyone for responding.

what youve all said makes a lot of sense... my biggest struggle is i take one look at my tummy/pouch that NEVER goes away, no matter how skinny i am, and then i tell myself i have plenty of fat on my body. im working on accepting that fat just naturally stores there, but its hard to see it and then think about gaining even more weight.

i read that somewhere about estrogen being stored in fat cells.... it drives me even more crazy seeing the media portray women! that just proves that we are designed to carry some amount of fat, just to function naturally the way we should.

again, thanks
#16 Old 08-11-2005, 12:32 PM

I have a similar problem...

I just lost about 15lbs and did/do about 3 miles of interval training each day on the treadmill (1 day off a week). I was doing bad things to body in terms of feeding myself....

However, now I'm eating regularly again and maintaining my weight but now my period is gone. I'm not underweight for my height... I don't know what to do.
#17 Old 08-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/001218.htm gives some helpful info. This site is a very reputable one for looking up info.
#18 Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulshine View Post

I have a similar problem...

I just lost about 15lbs and did/do about 3 miles of interval training each day on the treadmill (1 day off a week). I was doing bad things to body in terms of feeding myself....

However, now I'm eating regularly again and maintaining my weight but now my period is gone. I'm not underweight for my height... I don't know what to do.

total weight is only one marker to go by--but the most accurate one is fat percentage. it could just be that you are too "lean". either cut back on the workouts, or gain a few more pounds and see if that helps.

the same thing happened to me and i just cut my workouts out two days a week and my period returned after a couple of months.
#19 Old 08-14-2005, 08:45 PM

Where can I accurately get my body fat measured?

I should probably just go to the gyno and see what's up...
#20 Old 08-15-2005, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

you can ask your doctor about where to get fat percentage measured, as i'm not sure.

your gyno will probably just want to put you on bc but it's never a bad idea to go.
#21 Old 08-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

thank you everyone for responding.

what youve all said makes a lot of sense... my biggest struggle is i take one look at my tummy/pouch that NEVER goes away, no matter how skinny i am, and then i tell myself i have plenty of fat on my body. im working on accepting that fat just naturally stores there, but its hard to see it and then think about gaining even more weight.

i read that somewhere about estrogen being stored in fat cells.... it drives me even more crazy seeing the media portray women! that just proves that we are designed to carry some amount of fat, just to function naturally the way we should.

again, thanks

I know exactly how you feel. I got my period this year ONCE after I went to the endocrnologist(I got it naturally)..but my doctor said I should try to reach 110. Im about 102-105,I dunno. I feel like I have a enough fat..my pouch etc,but I don't and I have to be honest with myself. I was supposed to get it on Aug 11 but it never came. My boobs aren't underdeveloped b/c I once had them.but now I don't really have anything.(damn ed). I just have to accept the fact that I thought I was fat at 90,and I think im fat now...but its just a twisted warp and I need my period back. Good luck,just keep trying and you can gain it back.
#22 Old 08-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Hmmmm..honestly it still sounds like an issue of being underweight. Even when you were a bit heavier, you were still on the thin side. Also, it takes some gals awhile of being at a healthy weight before any period would appear. It sounds as though you've fluctuated a good bit.

Have you been to doc recently to make sure everything's okay (Pap smear, etc.). Did they have any suggestions?

I doubt it, I've been underweight my entire life and have had regular periods since I was 12.
#23 Old 08-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

As far as I've heard, the magic number for getting your period is 110lbs. You are seriously underweight and that could be why you aren't menstruating.

I weigh under 110 lbs. and I still get my period. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it seems like everyone on here thinks the only way to cure thin peoples' ailments is to gain weight. That's not the cure-all for everything. The weight you are at sounds fine to me. I understand you used to be anorexic and people are worried that you are underweight but I am thinner than you and have never had an eating disorder. That's just my two cents.
#24 Old 08-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Baby Love

FriskyCat, at 5'2, 93lbs IS significantly underweight. I am borderline underweight myself, so I'm not picking on skinny minnies, but honestly weighing less than your particular body is meant to weigh can cause health problems. This includes loss of period. The fact that the OP has a history of eating disorders makes it seem more plausible that her lack of period could be due to lack of nutrients/calories.
#25 Old 08-19-2005, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Still, 5'2" and 93 lbs. is much better than say, 5'2" and 193 lbs.
#26 Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Baby Love

No one is suggesting she gain 100lbs. I'm not going to get into an 'is fat healthy' debate here, but the further one gets from their bodys natural size and the more disordered their habits, the more likely they are to suffer health problems.
#27 Old 08-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Veggie Regular

My doctor always tells me (told, really, because I don't go anymore) that amenhorrea occurs not necessarily when you're at a low weight, but when you are malnourished. The two aren't mutually inclusive. I've had amenhorrea at a very normal weight.
#28 Old 08-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

I'd say 1. you're undernourished (too few calories easily translates into too few nutrients, which is why everyone is telling you to eat more.) and 2. you have too low a fat percentage in your body. SOmeone here mentioned the correlation between fat and estrogen. Bingo. You need a certain amount of fat to ovulate, and there even is a certain percentage of fat they recommend for conception, too. You are definitely underweight.

My aunt was severely underweight and didn't get her period till 18. A friend of mine went through some serious weight loss and lost her period for several months. An anorexic friend of mine almost never gets hers. There is a pattern to this. go back to the doctor, tell them that you still don't have your period. As annoying as I consider mine, i don't think it can be healthy for you not to have one at your age. Good luck, lots of hugs (and donuts, I might suggest! ;-) )
#29 Old 08-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriskyCat View Post

I weigh under 110 lbs. and I still get my period. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it seems like everyone on here thinks the only way to cure thin peoples' ailments is to gain weight. That's not the cure-all for everything. The weight you are at sounds fine to me. I understand you used to be anorexic and people are worried that you are underweight but I am thinner than you and have never had an eating disorder. That's just my two cents.

It sounds like that is your NATURAL weight. The weight your body functions at because thats what its programmed to weigh. The OP suffers from a eating disorder and is not at her NATURAL weight. This isn't a thread telling people who are naturally thin to go out and eat a bag of Oreos. In order for your body to function correctly it has to be in or around its natural weight. Being much over or much under where its comfortable is going to cause health problems.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Beginner

1. I don't think 110 pounds is a magic number... its totally different for every person. Being a very petite person, i can't even get close to 110, and I've always had my period.

2. Yes malnourshied might have somthign to do with it.

3. I would go back to the doctor. how long has it been since you think you have been at a "normal weight?" If you are still having issues with your body image maybe you should seek help for that too. I know it can seem overwhleming, but you are young, and a lot of your future health depends on how you treat your body now. you deserve a strong and healthy body.

there are also many other causes for not having your period, some of them are things that should really be taken care of.

i understand being anti-drug...but you need to be proactive. I would say go to the doctor, and a nutritionist, or any alternative health care provider you feel comfortable with. For as much advise as we can give you here...you should really see someone who handles this stuff for a living.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page