Soy messing up hormones? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Hi all! For the last year-and-a-half, since I stopped nursing my daughter, my period has been completely f---ed up. My cycles are very regular, 28 days right on the money, but for 14 to 16 of those 28 days, I have my period. (Do the math...only 12 to 14 days a month NOT bleeding). I spot pretty good for the first 10 to 12 days, and then I have a REAL 4 or 5-day period. I drink soy milk (w/cereal in the morning & a glass w/each lunch & dinner), eat soy yogurt, and indulge in soy ice cream occasionally. I've been hearing lately about soy messing up your hormones but I eat the same now as I did before I got pregnant (my last normal periods). And to top it off, I've been getting facial acne, which I've NEVER had, premenstrually. I've tried EVERYTHING and I'm getting very frustrated. I just cut out the soy a couple of days ago, and my period is the same thing again (Im sure not enough time to make a difference). Does anyone know what the ---- I'm doing wrong? my dr. told me something about my ovaries not 'firing' in sync (whatever the hell that means) and told me to go on hrt (i'm 31) but i'm not into the whole prescription drug thing (especially for the rest of my life). i also tried natural progesterone creme to no avail. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should PM Molly Goat; she usually has strong opinions about soy.
#3 Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Well, I've asked practically every physician I know about this issue and they all basically say that the jury's still out. However, I know for me (I am 100% sure) that highly processed soy (soy protein isolate, et. al.) causes problems....messed up cycles and well, other symptoms that would cause the male members of the board to cover their eyes and weep.

For me, tofu/edamame etc. doesn't seem to cause any problems. This would *seem* to indicate that it's not the soy itself, but what manufacturers do to it that's causing the problem.

Re: ovaries not "in sync"..does he mean that you're just not ovulation maybe? Or he could mean that ovulation doesn't switch back and forth between sides (which is really quite common).

So, I don't have a conclusive answer (and I don't think there is one), but anectdotal evidence from women such as myself seems to suggest that at least sometimes, soy does cause problems.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I suggest you see another doctor or two and compare their advice & diagnosis.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#5 Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Veggie Regular

it could be soy--but it could be any number of things.

it may be helpful for you to chart your cycles, as well as seeing a doctor. here's information aout fertility charting:

Taking Charge of Your Fertility
#6 Old 08-03-2005, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

actually, there are also a number of scientific studies that seem to point to soy causing any number of reproductive problems as well. it's been discussed extensively. a good search here will bring up a lot of good stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page