Soy + hormonal birth control and other interactions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently started taking Desogen, and I found a website that lists possible drug and non-drug interactions with this pill.

I've copied the following from (items in bold were done so by me)

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Use...esogen,00.html

What drug(s) may interact with ethinyl estradiol; desogestrel? (Back to top)

antibiotics or medicines for infections, especially rifampin, rifabutin, rifapentine, and griseofulvin

aprepitant, a medicine used for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting

barbiturate medicines for producing sleep or treating seizures (convulsions)

bosentan

carbamazepine

caffeine

clofibrate

cyclosporine

dantrolene

grapefruit juice

hydrocortisone

medicines for anxiety or sleeping problems, such as diazepam or temazepam

medicines for mental depression

medicines for diabetes, including troglitazone and pioglitazone

mineral oil

modafinil

mycophenolate

nefazodone

oxcarbazepine

phenytoin

prednisolone

ritonavir or other medicines for the treatment of the HIV virus or AIDS

selegiline

soy isoflavones supplements

St. John's wort

tamoxifen or raloxifene

theophylline

topiramate

warfarin

The ones I've placed in bold are those that surprised me, and that concern me the most.

Does anyone have any info or experience regarding these potential interactions? I guess I'm most concerned about the soy isoflavones as I consume a good deal of soy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that's unexpected. I guess it would depend on what sort of interaction those particular items--especially soy--have with the BC. And how much you have to consume before it becomes an issue.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#3 Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm..I have no clue about the grapefruit juice. The caffeine is an absorption thing. Th soy I'm sure has to do with phytoestrogens.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-21-2005, 02:59 PM

I've read that a lot drugs interact with grapefruit juice, I think mostly heart disease meds.

But what I wanted to say is that I think "soy isoflavones supplements" refers to really concentrated soy proteins, not really to just eating soy foods. When I was reading about the whole soy good/soy bad debate, some authors really distinguished between soy foods (what you're probably eating) and the really concentrated supplements made from specific soy proteins. So I don't know how much soy you eat, but unless you take those supplements, I'd guess that you're OK. I expect most people who use that BC drink caffeine too.
#5 Old 05-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

re grapefruit juice:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=14760

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 05-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, uh, I was on Desogen years ago and ate soy and drank caffeine with no problems.

I think they are just covering their asses, April. I wouldn't worry about it.
#7 Old 05-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i agree about the difference between 'soy products' and soy isoflavones. Of course, all soy products contain soy isoflavones, but they're not as problematic in certain forms as in others.

it's not difficult to avoid soy products in a vegetarian or vegan diet. just like switching from omni to vegetarian or vegetarian to vegan, it's simply a process of finding alternative products that work for you. For instance, if you consume a lot of soy milk, consider rice milk or almond milk. If you consume a lot of tofu, consider using whole beans or wheat gluten (seitan).

it's likely, also, that they're refering to concentrated soy products like soy protien, tvp, and nutritional supplements (pills/vitamins) that contain soy isoflavones, specifically. so, avoiding meat analogues that use soy protien isolates, etc, may be a good idea. but then, moving away from processed products is always a good idea.

so, just some ideas.

another idea is to go off chemical birth control in favor of other, drug-free, natural methods. unless you need chemical birth control for medical reasons, another birth control option may be more viable for you.

and finally, and probably the most 'extreme' option to some people, is to do both: no soy, no chemical birth control. This is the way that i live, and i don't find it terribly difficult. in fact, i enjoy it greatly.
#8 Old 05-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info and advice everyone! I've contemplated living soy-free before I was on birth control, but I'm not sure I'll be doing it anytime soon.

For what it's worth, I don't plan to be on hormonal birth control for a long time, but as it is, I'm in a long distance relationship and I really want the power to skip my period.
#9 Old 05-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

technically, you can have sex while on your period. i wonder why people don't think about this.

granted, some people have extreme discomforts, but sex can help with some of them (cramps and headaches specifically). so, that's always an option.

i like having sex when i'm on my period. fact is, i like having sex.
#10 Old 05-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I know I can have sex on my period, I just don't like it. I still crave sex when I'm on my period, though. My cervix is generally really sore for the first 4 days of my period, and I haven't found sex to help with the cramping.
#11 Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

i always find it interesting how many women--such as myself--really crave sex during our periods, but how a number of factors may inhibit our ability to fulfill that desire. i think the worst is shame (on the part of self or partner); but then you have all the practical stuff like whether or not it actually feels good. I know it does for me, but i also recognize that it doesn't for others.

many assume that it won't, so they never try. and others consider it a 'thank god i have a break from sex' scenario.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page