Amenorrhea - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

And I'm still suffering from it.

Beginning about three years ago (with the onset of significant weight loss) I stopped getting my period. The docs kept me on birth control to stimulate menstruation... and, it did work, for a time. But a few months ago I decided I was fed up with BC & hormones, and threw the pills in the trash. :P Since then, I had one major session of breakthrough bleeding afterwards, and that was it. Ain't noffin wants to come out this vagina.

I don't want to back on the pill. I do need to eat more. But now I'm looking into some herbal treatments. I've got black cohosh, I'm putting into my tea. The herbalist I talked to suggested ginger as well, and I've read about some other things....like penny royal. Heh.. which I think is outlawed?

Anyone have any more insights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

They make "Female Toner" teas that help stimulate and tone your reproductive system. You can find them at any health food store or natural pharmacy. I drink it for my endo and they taste pretty good if you like herbal tea.
#3 Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Yah, I just figure the commercial teas only have a little sprinkling of everything. I've had some of them, and I can taste the licorice, that's about it. I want something with a little bite to it.

ETA: Something that'll scare the blood out of me. I was explaining my theory on cold remedies the other day. "You just gotta scare it out. Get the spiciest cayenne you can. Drink the most awful echinacea. Don't let those germs think you're an easy-going host!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

When my period stopped my mom put me on a regimen of black cohosh. I think it might have helped a little, because I got my period back for a short time while still underweight, and when I stopped taking it, my period became irregular and then went away again until I got up to 120 pounds. I'm back down to 110 again, my "natural" weight, and haven't lost my period thus far (though it's only been back since January). I take black cohosh now to try to regulate my period, to no avail, so I'm starting the Pill this month.

I've also heard about chaste tree berry, but I haven't really seen that in any stores I go to. Of course, I wasn't looking too hard because I don't miss my period when it's gone.

A quick search provided this list of herbs and spices used in an Ayurveda menstrual treatment called Angelica Rasayana #7:

Dong Quai, Angelica, Shatavari, Mugwort, Gotu Kola, Sage, Cinnamon, Parsley, Kelp, Valerian, Rosemary, Celery, Penneyroyal, Shilajit, Amalak, Rose, Chamomile, Saffron, Turmeric, Ginger, Asafoetida, Myrrh

Maybe combining some of these might help?

EDIT:

Also, I found this . Hope that helps!
#5 Old 04-10-2005, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular

*scrambling to take notes and bows to Kat*
#6 Old 04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Chaste Tree is also called Vitex, which is usually how you'll see it in the stores.

Thanks, Kat!
#7 Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

The herbs really do help, my only advice is to make sure you're not mixing the wrong herbs. Its been a long time since this has been a problem for me but I remember that if you mix herbs without seeing exactly what that herb did you could end up with herbs that counteracted each other. I always stayed with things that stimulated the womb, like ginger.
#8 Old 04-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

I don't want to back on the pill. I do need to eat more.

Anyone have any more insights?

well, it isn't another insight...but, eat more? or exercise less?

i found that for myself, if i just exercised 1-2 hours less a week i got my period back. i think it was more about skipping days of working out that let my body get back some fat. i'm still 35-45 days between periods but at least i seem to be back on some sort of cycle.

good luck with the teas tho.
#9 Old 04-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Pulsatilla....Rose-otto-oil.....horehound tea....

I think horehound tea is the best....1 1/2 oz horehound herb

3/4 oz. shepherds purse

3/4 oz. aniseeds

3/4 oz. rosemary leaves

Make a tea with this combination....believed to promote normal, regular menstrual cycles in young women with irregular periods as well as those who tend to be anemic.

to make a tea: pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1-2 tsp. of mixture....cover and steep for 3-5 min and strain. Drink 2-3 cups a day.

Raspberry leaf tea ---helps a heavy period....wouldnt drink that, although it does stimulate the uterus.

also, Masterwort tea is good...1 tsp masterwart (or angelica)

1/2 tsp. cinnamon bark

1/2 tsp rosemary leaves

1/2 tsp thyme

pour 2 1/2 cups boiling water over herbs, steep 5 min. strain. drink 3 cups daily.

(historically the best)

Caution: you use any herbal remedy at your own risk. Also, If there is any chance you are pregant, do NOT use any remedy. Some of these will induce labor.
#10 Old 04-11-2005, 08:17 AM

Vitex (otherwises known as chastetree) is really good at regulating periods all by itself. Just another option for you.
#11 Old 04-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

You said you need to eat more, so it sounds like eating normal will probably be enough to get your period back. Do you know approximatly how many calories you're consuming?
#12 Old 04-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

The exact same thing happened to me (weight loss triggered, everything.) My period was gone for a year and then just came back on its own. I didn't do anything different.
#13 Old 04-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Forgive my ignorance, and I will pubmed this later, but what are the drawbacks to amenorrhea? Here I am trying to stop by period with bc....
#14 Old 04-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Infertility, higher occurrence of cancers of the reproductive organs, and it signifies other complications. In Charity's case, that complication may be that she still hasn't brought her nutrient levels high enough to cause hormone production to be normal for an adult woman. It's not serious in itself, really.
#15 Old 04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I had the same thing about 4 years ago too (amenorrhea caused by weight loss) and had gotten back for one cycle about two years ago once I had gained some weight and then it left after I lost it again. But anyways...after just getting out of treatment for an eating disorder, I got it once about a month ago and it has yet to return. It stresses me out that it hasn't appeared again because it shows that I'm healthy. I don't know if that stress, along with stress in life, has caused it or what. My weight has stayed within a pound of what it was when I got it, but my eating has been somewhat irregular at times. Also, I started weight training twice a week and walking daily. I don't know if that could have anything to do with it? I just want it back, but don't know what to do? Maybe I'll have to try some ginger.
#16 Old 04-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

i only got my period naturally twice. after three years, i just started the pill less than two months ago and i hate hate hate it with a passion. i'm so depressed 1/2 of the time. and i'm supposed to have gotten it two days ago... nothing. i'm confused. sigh. i hate this
#17 Old 04-13-2005, 09:35 PM

wild yam cream works nicely..
#18 Old 04-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Does it? For inducing menstruation? I know it's one of those, menopausal aids...
#19 Old 04-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, it means you probably aren't ovulating, which is bad if you want to conceive.

it also probably means your estrogen levels are very low which increases your chances of osteoporosis. that is pretty scary to me.
#20 Old 04-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

it could also be a thyroid problem, brought on by lots of preservatives and additives (and salts) in foods. so, perhaps eating more, going whole foods, and trying to supplement (through herbalism) may bring the whole thing back.

maintaining a healthy menstrual cycle is an important aspect of female health. i think it's sad when women want to 'get rid of' their periods by chemical means. even if one doesn't want to reproduce, a healthy cycle is an indication of a healthy woman. (and, just to let you know, not all cycles are the same, and many different 'types' of cycles can be healthy).
#21 Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Rie
Veggie Regular

I just wanted to add that when I added more fat to my diet (not to my body, just ate more healthy fats: oils, avocados, etc.) is when I noticed my period started to come back.
#22 Old 04-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Healthy fats don't work for me----- I eat like, seriously 6, I mean SIX oz of various nuts EVERYDAY but mine hasn't come back

I know I need to gain more weight but I am eating 2200+ and not gaining much, blah
#23 Old 04-14-2005, 11:13 PM

charity: wild yam is what i use for cramp aids when my rather irregular cycle happens. when i actually use it along with female toner tea.. my cycle is regular
#24 Old 04-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Two years ago I lost quite a bit of weight (about 40 pounds over a 13 month period I'd say) and throughout the whole time my period was very irregular with long (up to 60 days) cycles. Then it completely stopped. After three months I went to a doctor and she immediately said it was most likely from the weight loss (and insinuated that I was anorexic, which I wasn't too pleased about )

Anyway.. she still did some blood tests and found that I have slight hypothyroidism, which can definitely be a cause as well. So I guess it was a combination of factors. She prescribed me an progesterone* pill. 10mg, a large dose, for ten days, then my period would come back. It did, and after that eventually became quite regular naturally. Now I'm on the pill so the whole thing isn't even an issue anymore. (Even if, frankly, I'd rather not be, but that's another story.)

(*edit: I first typed estrogen, then remembered it was progesterone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page