Question for those of you on birth control pills - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

How long after you take the last active pill do you get your period?

I ask because I've always heard that they start you on Sunday so you don't get your period over the weekend. Well when I started on Sunday I always got my period around Thursday, right into the weekend. Just wondering if this is common or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually had only one or two days after the last active pill before it started. If i remember correctly I would take the last active pill on a Sat and usually Mon was when I would start.
#3 Old 04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a couple of days. I'd take the last active pill Sunday, and start by Tuesday around 1 pm or so. I'm not kidding--it was that regular!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2005, 07:51 PM

Usually, I get my period in about 3 days or so after the last active pill. However, it is different for each woman and that is completely normal. You should adjust your pills to do what is good for you and your schedule. ie if you want to avoid your period on the weekends, and you get your period 5 days after your last active pill, then take your last active pill on Wednesday/Thursday instead of Saturday. I also recommend altering when you take your pills for vacations too. ie if you are going to have your period on vacation, then just take an extra week or two of active pills. Or you can stop your pills one week earlier than normal to have your period before. However, if you stop early (take 2 instead of 3 weeks of active pills) you should consider using a backup form of birth control. But if you take them longer (ie 4 weeks instead of 3) than you don't need to worry about back up birth control. Another good thing to do is to just reduce your bleeding to 4x per year (ie take 3-4 packs of active pills continuously and throw out the placebos). That is the fun of being on the birth control pill! Of course there is a lot of other fun that goes along with it too!
#5 Old 04-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieDoc View Post

Another good thing to do is to just reduce your bleeding to 4x per year (ie take 3-4 packs of active pills continuously and throw out the placebos).

Is that recommended by gynocologists? I'm starting my first pack in a week, and I really don't want my period when I'm in England in May-June, and I'll be there for a full 4 weeks. I doubt I'll be completely regular at that point, but what might happen if I skip the placebos on my first pack or two?
#6 Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I take my last active pill on Sat (I'm a sunday starter) and get my period on Wed.
#7 Old 04-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yup, usually Wednesday for me too.
#8 Old 04-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

Is that recommended by gynocologists? I'm starting my first pack in a week, and I really don't want my period when I'm in England in May-June, and I'll be there for a full 4 weeks. I doubt I'll be completely regular at that point, but what might happen if I skip the placebos on my first pack or two?

Yes, it is a completely accepted practice by gynocologists. The only risk of doing this is that you may have some unpredictable breakthrough bleeding (a couple of days of spotting here and there). Also, you won't be having a period every 4 weeks to assure yourself that you are not pregnant. I'm not sure if that is an issue in your case, but some people need that assurance every 4 weeks. Of course, you can always assure yourself with a pregnancy test. Good luck and enjoy England. I went to school there for 9 months, and I loved it. The people are awesome!
#9 Old 04-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I moved mine up a bit so the last pill is Friday night and it comes on Monday night or Tuesday. That way it's usually done by the next weekend.
#10 Old 04-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegankat- Skipping the sugar pills won't work for you if you're on a tri-phasal pill, one that gives you a different dose of hormones each week. I (and many others) tried this in the past- my period came only 1 day late, and I bled for 2 weeks straight.

To the original poster-

When I was on the pill, my period start date kind of shifted over time. I think originally I'd get it around Wed or Thur, but towards the end it always came on Tuesday.
#11 Old 04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

If I do the Sunday start thing I get mine on Wednesday.
#12 Old 04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

It used to be always Wednesday morning, then Wednesday afternoon, now it's moving into Thursday (I have problems staying regular because of PCOS, even on the pill.)
#13 Old 04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

The first time I had my period on my BC, it was on a wednesday.
#14 Old 04-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I take my last pill on a Wednesday, I get my period the following Monday or Tuesday. I was a Saturday starter for a while, but then I asked my doc if I could take them on a different day to change my period schedule and she said "You can start a new pack at any time" so I started them on a Thursday, thus shifting my period so on the weekend following the Monday it starts (if that makes sense) i'm only barely spotting if at all.

Vegankat -- It won't work if you take triphasic pills (i.e. ortho tri cyclen, or any pill that the dose changes week to week). It will work if you take a monophasic pill (same dose every day). I've done it before (i'm on ortho-cyclen), with no problems. No spotting or anything. I did have a heavier period the following month, but I feel it was well worth it!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

My pill (Aviane) is levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol 0.10 mg/0.02 mg, which I assume means all the pills are of the same dosage. I know this is a lower dosage of the same hormones used in Seasonale, which is meant to cause periods 4 times a year.

Anyone tried this on Aviane?
#16 Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I was told by the doctor that your period should come on the third day of taking a non-active pill. For me it's usually the 2nd or 3rd day (Sunday night or Monday), but for the last couple of months it has been coming early.
#17 Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Interesting...

When I started taking BC again (after being off it for months) I was more aware of when my peroid will come so I started on a Friday so I took the last active pill on Thursday and got my peroid Monday in order to avoid the "weekend peroid". I just find it interesting that the default is Sunday.
#18 Old 04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_clouds View Post

How long after you take the last active pill do you get your period?

I ask because I've always heard that they start you on Sunday so you don't get your period over the weekend. Well when I started on Sunday I always got my period around Thursday, right into the weekend. Just wondering if this is common or not.

That's exactly what mine is like.

Also, I get my period 5 days after my last pill.
#19 Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Banned

I would start the sugar pills on Sunday, and start on Wednedsay. The first time I started taking the pill, I had a very heavy period for almost three weeks.
#20 Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

My pill (Aviane) is levonorgestrel and ethinyl estradiol 0.10 mg/0.02 mg, which I assume means all the pills are of the same dosage. I know this is a lower dosage of the same hormones used in Seasonale, which is meant to cause periods 4 times a year.

Anyone tried this on Aviane?

Do me a favor and whatever pill you are on, consult with your doctor before you do the skip periods thing, unless you are on Seasonale. Some types of pills it doesn't work well with.
#21 Old 04-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post

Do me a favor and whatever pill you are on, consult with your doctor before you do the skip periods thing, unless you are on Seasonale. Some types of pills it doesn't work well with.

The triphasics don't work for skipping periods. (unless you buy a second pack and just take wk 3 and then throw away the rest of the pack.. and it'll delay 1 wk) But of course its a good idea to consult a medical professional before messing with meds

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#22 Old 06-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I skip the sugar/inactive pills, but to answer the question, I generally get my period on the second day of sugar pills.

Last month however, I got it a few hours before I would have taken the first sugar pill..which was odd. Back to normal this month however lol, so it's all good.
#23 Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 AM
Banned

Every woman is different. My version isn't too fun. I do a sunday start, and get my period either weds or thursday, it stops by sat, and then as soon as I take my next sunday pill, it comes back (very very light) for two days. Ugh. But this is how it worked on my mother too, so I'm not worried.

Its definitely better than what I used to get - 8 days of heavy period.
#24 Old 07-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not on the pill anymore, but when I was on it I used to get my period right around Wednesday or Thursday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page