The Birth Control Thread - Page 54 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#1591 Old 03-08-2014, 09:11 AM

It's been a while since I've posted on this forum! Here's an update on my contact lens/birth control issue, since I know others are experiencing it:

The birth control changed the shape of my eye, which is a listed side effect. My eyes would become red and irritated, as an above poster said, because the contact lens I had been using no longer fit properly. When this first started happening (over a year ago!) I ditched the contacts and resigned myself to wearing glasses every day. I did this until last spring, when I saw a new eye doctor who gave me wide lens contact lenses. He also gave me eye drops because the birth control also made my eyes dry. Mine might be an extreme case, though, as I live in an extremely dry climate. Even people who don't have eye issues use eye drops out here, especially in the wintertime when it's super dry out. 

I started wearing these wide lens contact lenses once or twice a week, usually whenever I went on a date. I couldn't keep them in for long and had to use eye drops a lot, usually every hour. My eyes were always irritated after taking them out and were usually red the next day. :( Over the summer I gradually started wearing them more and more, and for longer periods. Because I hadn't worn contacts for months after I started experiencing problems I suppose my eyes got used to not having them in. 

As of now I wear my contacts every day. I wear them for 6-8 hours max, taking them out whenever I'm at home. My eyes still get irritated sometimes, but that's usually if I've worn them for far too long or if I've been reading/staring at a computer screen with them in. They are no longer red after I take my contacts out, or the next day. I still use eye drops religiously, but notice I have to use a lot more the colder it gets. It was -40 C here last week and the week before and so dry and cold out my eyes hurt and my skin cracked. The joys of living in Canada lol.

I don't know if it was because I slowly built up my wear time, and started wearing them more regularly (used to be a weekend only thing, then I started wearing them a couple weekdays, and so on), or if my body was adjusting to the birth control. I'm still on the same one and have been for over a year now. All I know is that I'm thrilled I'm no longer experiencing this problem. I hate wearing glasses with a passion.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1592 Old 03-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'm very allergic to earrings, it's hard for me to find a pair I can wear. Do you think the copper IUD would cause an issue for me? I've heard that sometimes the reason we're allergic to earrings is the metals.

#1593 Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I'm very allergic to earrings, it's hard for me to find a pair I can wear. Do you think the copper IUD would cause an issue for me? I've heard that sometimes the reason we're allergic to earrings is the metals.

Usually it is nickel that causes the jewelry issues, maybe trying wearing a copper bracelet or ring to see if it bothers your skin first? I looked into the issue of absorbing too much copper, I wondered about that, but the things I read didn't worry me too much.

There's always a risk/benefit ratio with these kinds of things; it's a matter of figuring out where you fall on that continuum. My daughter is happy with the copper one, for her it is so far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1594 Old 03-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

Terrible PMDD and periods run in my family. My PMDD was so severe that I became suicidal for about 2 weeks out of the month (this may have been due to hormones messing with my bipolar moods). Cramps were so terribly painful that I couldn't walk at times. I would faint. The bleeding was ridiculously heavy and I'd constantly leak even with the most absorbent pads. I would develop awful cystic acne.

My doctor agreed to have me skip the sugar pills in the birth control pill packs in order to stop my periods mainly due to the suicidal thoughts and tendencies I'd develop but also because all the other symptoms made me miserable as well. I could not function. I stay on the hormone pills and my life has greatly improved because of it.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#1595 Old 08-25-2016, 11:43 PM

If you want a good tips on birth control and pregnancy first consult your doctor. If you want health, medication, exercises during pregnancy than check this link . It has very relevant tips for baby birth and how to care them . It is a site called babynology
#1596 Old 05-26-2018, 12:18 AM
A softball catcher

My mom has talked to me about going on BC before since I don't have a boyfriend and not knowing if I'll hook up with a guy at a party or whatever and us doing the "deed" and not wanting me to become pregnant before I'm truly ready "like what happened to our 16 y/o neighbor". Mom has had me on the pill since I was 15 but would like to get me off of the pill and onto the Paragard IUD. She has already talked to our OBGYN (we see the same one) to see about getting me on it or onto the little stick that gets imbedded into your arm. Which method would be better? Personally if I had a choice, I'd rather get the little stick in the arm.
#1597 Old 05-26-2018, 11:09 AM

This is going to vary a lot by personal preference, so I hesitate to recommend something. What's good for me, as a 43 year old woman who does not plan on having children may be very different from what's good for you at your stage of life.

Here's a link I found that may be helpful to you in having the conversation with your doctor:

https://www.thecut.com/2016/11/not-s...read-this.html

It sounds as though your mom has definite opinions about your sexual health and has your best interests in mind, which is wonderful, but I know when the time came for me to see someone regularly, I felt more comfortable with a different doctor than my mom's. If you feel like your mother wants you to go one direction and you're not sure of it, it is okay to ask to speak to another doctor and see if he/she offers different advice. It is your body after all! Good luck.
rylielovessoftball likes this.

When we make compassion our barometer, we don't settle for violence on a small scale. We aspire to kindness on a huge scale. --Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
#1598 Old 05-26-2018, 03:28 PM
A softball catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiringBuddha View Post
This is going to vary a lot by personal preference, so I hesitate to recommend something. What's good for me, as a 43 year old woman who does not plan on having children may be very different from what's good for you at your stage of life.

Here's a link I found that may be helpful to you in having the conversation with your doctor:

https://www.thecut.com/2016/11/not-s...read-this.html

It sounds as though your mom has definite opinions about your sexual health and has your best interests in mind, which is wonderful, but I know when the time came for me to see someone regularly, I felt more comfortable with a different doctor than my mom's. If you feel like your mother wants you to go one direction and you're not sure of it, it is okay to ask to speak to another doctor and see if he/she offers different advice. It is your body after all! Good luck.
My mom is definitely very opinionated when it comes to my sexual health. I know she has my best interests in mind but I'm not necessarily comfortable with what she thinks is best for my sexual health. I have thought about talking to the doctor alone but with being a minor (I'm 16 and turn 17 in July) if the doctor has to tell her what we talked about. I mean if the doctor would think Paragard would be the better option for me...then all means I'll have the IUD inserted. I would like to maybe see a different doctor but I don't know if I can switch doctors without needing mom to sign for me.
#1599 Old 05-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylielovessoftball View Post
My mom is definitely very opinionated when it comes to my sexual health. I know she has my best interests in mind but I'm not necessarily comfortable with what she thinks is best for my sexual health. I have thought about talking to the doctor alone but with being a minor (I'm 16 and turn 17 in July) if the doctor has to tell her what we talked about. I mean if the doctor would think Paragard would be the better option for me...then all means I'll have the IUD inserted. I would like to maybe see a different doctor but I don't know if I can switch doctors without needing mom to sign for me.

Sex is great, especially when you are still younger and energetic. Just be careful about the whole thing, you know? I've met several smart people who nevertheless ended up with a raging lifelong case of genital herpes. In the 1990s, I knew one guy who died from AIDS in his 20s.

It's fantastic that so many contraceptive options exist today. Of course, IUDs and contraceptive injections won't protect you from a scorching case of gonorrhea - a good reason to use a condom for sex that includes penile/vaginal/anal/oral contact. More information on this: http://www.sfcityclinic.org/stdbasics/stdchart.asp .

If you do have sex (or are sexually attacked) before you get contraceptives, remember that in the United States, emergency after-sex contraception (the "morning-after pill", with brand names including "Plan B" and "Preven") can be legally purchased from pharmacies, without prescription, by all people regardless of age. It's not as effective as a regular contraceptive (IUD etc.), so it shouldn't be used as your primary form of birth control. Here is an informative website from Princeton University: http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/get-EC.html . Many pharmacies carry it: https://www.cvs.com/shop/plan-b-one-...9?skuId=876669 . It must be taken within 72 hours of coitus.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-26-2018 at 08:30 PM.
#1600 Old 05-26-2018, 11:21 PM
A softball catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Sex is great, especially when you are still younger and energetic. Just be careful about the whole thing, you know? I've met several smart people who nevertheless ended up with a raging lifelong case of genital herpes. In the 1990s, I knew one guy who died from AIDS in his 20s.

It's fantastic that so many contraceptive options exist today. Of course, IUDs and contraceptive injections won't protect you from a scorching case of gonorrhea - a good reason to use a condom for sex that includes penile/vaginal/anal/oral contact. More information on this: http://www.sfcityclinic.org/stdbasics/stdchart.asp .

If you do have sex (or are sexually attacked) before you get contraceptives, remember that in the United States, emergency after-sex contraception (the "morning-after pill", with brand names including "Plan B" and "Preven") can be legally purchased from pharmacies, without prescription, by all people regardless of age. It's not as effective as a regular contraceptive (IUD etc.), so it shouldn't be used as your primary form of birth control. Here is an informative website from Princeton University: http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/get-EC.html . Many pharmacies carry it: https://www.cvs.com/shop/plan-b-one-...9?skuId=876669 . It must be taken within 72 hours of coitus.

I know that there are a lot of options out there as far as contraceptives. I don't know what would be right for me. I am currently on the pill but I'm not very good at taking it. I'll sometimes take it in the morning and then on days I'm running around frantic and have a lot of stuff going on...I may take it in the afternoon or evening. Sometimes in a worse case situation...not at all. That's why I'd like to take another form of birth control.

I am somewhat experienced when it comes to sex. I have a boyfriend...but I've also had experiences with the other gender as well. Unfortunately, some of my friends...and even partners have gotten unfortunate hitchhikers along the way. About half of my softball team has genital herpes. Some have Chylmidia. Some have genital warts. Some have Syphallis. And some have other STI's. Fortunately, no one I know has HIV/AIDS. I picked up HSV-1 when I was like 3 or 4 from kissing my aunt who had an outbreak. But I think a whole lot of people have that one.

I also picked up genital herpes about a month ago. A few teammates, who are either bi-sexual or lesbian were over for a sleepover because we were playing in a tournament and we had all gotten physical with each other. I woke up and showered and everything like normal and nothing strange happened. But a few days later, I saw that the whole area around my hips, genitals, anus and thighs were red and sore. It progressed to the point where I was getting blisters and sores in the red area. On top of that, I felt like I was getting the flu and I had a fever. It burned to go to the bathroom. Plus I had a funny smell down there and a lot of discharge (I know I'm being graphic). I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with genital herpes (HSV-2) about a month ago now. I'm still feeling the affects of my first outbreak which I hear is the worst but it gets better. My boyfriend wasn't happy that I got it. He went and got tested and found out he has it, too.

My boyfriend are careful if we do have sex. We don't engage if we're having outbreaks and we try to manage it by taking antivirals. I know there is a huge stigma surrounding what we have but I think education is key to trying to break the stigma of genital herpes.

We've been taught about the morning after pill in school. I took it once about three months ago when my boyfriend and I went a little too far in our little games and he went a little longer than he should. I was taking the pill pretty religiously at the time but didn't want to risk it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page