The Birth Control Thread - Page 33 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#961 Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

BE =

Hate that stuff. I use Aromaleigh. When I can be bothered to wear makeup, that is.

EDM is okay. Infinitely better than BE, but I still like Aromaleigh's makeup better, personally.

★ Vegetarian: 7/4/07 ☆ Near-Vegan: 11/08 ☆ FINALLY VEGAN! 4/4/09 ★

♥ 4 years down and a lifetime to go! ♥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#962 Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

hey guys. You are all so knowledgeable on this stuff that you're the first people I run to for advice

Two months ago I switched from a POP (cerazette) to a combined pill (femodene) because I was getting breakthrough bleeding 2-3 days out of every week and it was driving me mad! I have a couple of minor issues about the femodene though ...

my last pill of the month (I have no sugar pills, I just stop for 7 days) is on a Sunday. When I stop on a Sunday I get my period around the Thursday - Sunday, but I really hate that it falls on a weekend. My doctor said that many women don't leave the full 7 day gap between packs, so I thought, if I leave a 4-day gap instead this month, my last pill will then be on a Thursday (or ish, my counting may be dodgy) and hopefully my period will fall beginning of the week. Is this alright to do? Is it likely to work? Will it muck up my period this month if I start taking next months pills while I'm still 'on'?

Secondly, my pill is really making my breasts grow. Sorry, I meant, it's really making my BREAST grow. Singular. I already had lopsided breasts, but I've been assured all my life it's normal, and not that noticeable. However, since starting femodene my right breast -- the larger one -- is painful (just feels like growing pains when I was a teenager, it's irritating, but I'm not worried) and GROWING. My left breast doesn't seem to be growing at all. I am so worried about my lopsided-ness becoming even more pronounced! Is it likely that my left breast will grow too? If I quit the pills will my right breast go back to it's normal size? How much am I likely to grow?

Sorry for all the questions, I just trust you ladies.
#963 Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

My boobs got bigger once I got on the pill. I didn't have the one-boob problem, but I'd imagine after a few months of taking your new pill your body will adjust to the hormone change. Also, it's perfectly safe to start your new pack earlier than you normally would. I'm on the NuvaRing now, but when I was on Ortho Trycyclen-lo if I had something big coming up right around placebo time I'd just move right on to the next pack with no problems. It's not something you should do all the time, but if you just want to change when you get your period you should be just fine

Sometimes you just have to put on lip gloss and pretend to be psyched. -Mindy Kaling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#964 Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

hey guys. You are all so knowledgeable on this stuff that you're the first people I run to for advice

Two months ago I switched from a POP (cerazette) to a combined pill (femodene) because I was getting breakthrough bleeding 2-3 days out of every week and it was driving me mad! I have a couple of minor issues about the femodene though ...

my last pill of the month (I have no sugar pills, I just stop for 7 days) is on a Sunday. When I stop on a Sunday I get my period around the Thursday - Sunday, but I really hate that it falls on a weekend. My doctor said that many women don't leave the full 7 day gap between packs, so I thought, if I leave a 4-day gap instead this month, my last pill will then be on a Thursday (or ish, my counting may be dodgy) and hopefully my period will fall beginning of the week. Is this alright to do? Is it likely to work? Will it muck up my period this month if I start taking next months pills while I'm still 'on'?

Secondly, my pill is really making my breasts grow. Sorry, I meant, it's really making my BREAST grow. Singular. I already had lopsided breasts, but I've been assured all my life it's normal, and not that noticeable. However, since starting femodene my right breast -- the larger one -- is painful (just feels like growing pains when I was a teenager, it's irritating, but I'm not worried) and GROWING. My left breast doesn't seem to be growing at all. I am so worried about my lopsided-ness becoming even more pronounced! Is it likely that my left breast will grow too? If I quit the pills will my right breast go back to it's normal size? How much am I likely to grow?

you could just start the next pack a few days early, and it'd work. it might lead to breakthrough bleeding a little bit, but i doubt it'd be dreadful. you could also leave a 6 day gap for the next few months instead. it'd take longer to get there, but it'd have the same end result with probably less breakthrough. cos its a monophasic pill you could instead take a few extra pills into next months pack, extending your month this month by a few days, and then take the break. you would end up screwing up a packet of pills that way, but eh, they're free- or its like £2 worth.

maybe you have more breast tissue, or more tissue thats sensitive to hormones, in the more enthusiastic boob. i think breast tenderness and growth tends to settle down after a bit with the pill- did in my case- it doesn't keep getting bigger and bigger till they pop or anything, but i honestly don't know if the other one will catch up on its own. on a gut level, i doubt it will.

mine grew a smidge, and went down again when i came off the pills- cos it was a temporary reaction to the hormone level change- just like how when you get pregnant your boobs poof up like airbags then deflate again when you're done breastfeeding. you could always check with the doc if you're still not sure.

and yeah, different sized boobs is totally normal, and nobody ever notices apart from the owner of said boobs. my best mate was wicked paranoid about hers- but they looked completely fine to me through a tshirt and bra, i wouldn't have even thought anything of it had she not said something and forced me to squint at them, and they served as excellent pillows for an inpromptu nap- my head didn't roll off or nowt, and thats what counted to me. people just aren't symmetrical, and nobody notices or cares about that stuff, cos our brains compensate and how we see people is based on how we love them- when i had my lip peirced, i commented to the peircer that it didn't seem to be central, but then he kindly explained and pointed out that my nose was wonky. /random anecdote
#965 Old 02-26-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

... i wouldn't have even thought anything of it had she not said something and forced me to squint at them, and they served as excellent pillows for an inpromptu nap- my head didn't roll off or nowt, ...

And suddenly the male interest in the BC thread spikes....

Yeah, I know lots of women who complain about different sized boobs, and I've never been able to tell either. I have to admit being a bit put out a couple of weeks ago though, when my dressmaker commented (while adjusting the bodice on the dress and um, adjusting the girls). "Oh, hm. It looks like you have one boob bigger than the other." Thanks for pointing it out.

As for switching your pill day, I really don't think it's a big deal, in that it's supposedly okay if you skip your period altogether, so this wouldn't be so different.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#966 Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

haha.. nooo Sorry. I have had one boob that is always larger than the other and got even more differently lopsided when I was on the pill and I have been off it for almost two months now and they are still as noticeable to me. I went from a b to almost a d cup. ( also gained about 20 lbs) but ive lost 6 (or I had last time I checked) since stopping the pill. boobs are still the same. I believe that this lopsided boob thing is genetic as my mother has it just as bad but the oppostie boob.
#967 Old 02-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

so i was happily on the pill and lost my drug plan, money being tight i went off it and have just been using condoms.

now i'm happily OFFf the pill and not too enthused about going back on, but i got my drug plan back so now i can afford to.

i'm trying to weigh the pros and cons here.

on the pill i have piece of mind, and lighter shorter periods, and less discharge the rest of the month. plus it allows for more sponteneity, not that we get much of that living with the inlaws.

off the pill i have less moodswings though, and sex is less messy with a condom lol, plus i hate putting that crap into my body. plus i don't have to worry about remembering to take it.

i don't know, i'm torn. i have to make a doctor's appointment soon so i'm in debate on wether i should go back on the pill or not. i wish there was another option that would work for me but i'm at a loss. i probably will go back on just because we really really cannot afford a kid right now and living with the inlaws there's no room and there's no way in hell i'd want to try raising a kid with my mother in law over my shoulder 24/7. f that. we're still not in total agreement about the kids thing, i still lean towards no but with occassional thoughts of it wouldn't be the end of the world aka if it happened by accident we'd manage, but i really really don't want to be in that situation while living in this house. it's another 3 years or more before we get our own place again, we moved in here so hubby could go back to school so nothing's happening til he's out of school and working.

so i probably will cave and get a scrip just to be sure but i hate hate hate it. it's so unnatural. i know i don't have the discipline for fam

eta: i've heard of the lopsided boob thing but i've never seen or heard of any that noticable. i'd mention it to your doc and see if they can recommend an alternative.

i was never one of those who gains weight on the pill. maybe a couple pounds but nothing noticable, not enough to affect anything that way. i wish it were that easy actually, i've always been a little underweight and always struggled with trying to gain some weight. the pill didn't make a difference for me.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#968 Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post

Hi all,

So I'm just about to start the pill again (I was on it for a couple years in college then off for a year or so). Thing is, the pill really seems to lower my sex drive and make my breasts tender. This is the only birth control I can get and/or afford right now, so... Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? It's quite annoying to need something so you can prevent pregnancy that makes you not want to do anything that would lead to babies.

I have the same problem. I myself had an absolutely horrible experience with a certain brand (one of those ones with different levels of hormones each week). So now I'm on Yasmin as I was told it is more mild. So far my boobs are sensitive as hell, but that's kind of a good thing . Sex drive went down the first few weeks but I think I'm getting it back a little. I've only been on it 3 weeks so far so I'm just trying it out and hoping I don't go insane like last time. Oh yeah I freaked out and cried a few times already when I don't usually do that. Ugh. But at least I don't have a never-ending period like those other pills gave me.

So long story short... certain birth control pills may affect you differently, so you could at least talk to your doctor and see if a particular brand might work better for you. Or you could just go with condoms...but paying for Plan B if you have an accident really hurts the wallet

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#969 Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

so i was happily on the pill and lost my drug plan, money being tight i went off it and have just been using condoms.

now i'm happily OFFf the pill and not too enthused about going back on, but i got my drug plan back so now i can afford to.

i'm trying to weigh the pros and cons here.

on the pill i have piece of mind, and lighter shorter periods, and less discharge the rest of the month. plus it allows for more sponteneity, not that we get much of that living with the inlaws.

off the pill i have less moodswings though, and sex is less messy with a condom lol, plus i hate putting that crap into my body. plus i don't have to worry about remembering to take it.

i don't know, i'm torn. i have to make a doctor's appointment soon so i'm in debate on wether i should go back on the pill or not. i wish there was another option that would work for me but i'm at a loss. i probably will go back on just because we really really cannot afford a kid right now and living with the inlaws there's no room and there's no way in hell i'd want to try raising a kid with my mother in law over my shoulder 24/7. f that. we're still not in total agreement about the kids thing, i still lean towards no but with occassional thoughts of it wouldn't be the end of the world aka if it happened by accident we'd manage, but i really really don't want to be in that situation while living in this house. it's another 3 years or more before we get our own place again, we moved in here so hubby could go back to school so nothing's happening til he's out of school and working.

so i probably will cave and get a scrip just to be sure but i hate hate hate it. it's so unnatural. i know i don't have the discipline for fam

eta: i've heard of the lopsided boob thing but i've never seen or heard of any that noticable. i'd mention it to your doc and see if they can recommend an alternative.

i was never one of those who gains weight on the pill. maybe a couple pounds but nothing noticable, not enough to affect anything that way. i wish it were that easy actually, i've always been a little underweight and always struggled with trying to gain some weight. the pill didn't make a difference for me.

you could try the ring or the patch? you don't have to rememeber quite so much stuff and it might not make you cry hysterically or want to barf like it did me? and you can keep using condoms. you should be using 2 methods to be safe anyway. make him wear them!
#970 Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Random question time. I started the combined pill 3ish weeks ago now and am due to start my pill free week on friday. For the first 2 weeks i had some annoying side effects, nausea, migraine, breast tenderness, numbness in limbs, tinging feelings, weakness in muscles (couldn't run a quarter of a mile let alone my usual 3), lethargy and *****y emotions ( i quite like this last one). However, in week 3 these have completely disappeared and i am energiesed and positive, happy and don't have any aches pains and am strong again. The only thing i'm worried about is if i have my pill free week, these artificial hormone levels in my body will drop and then i reintroduce them again in 7 days time, am i going to have to go through 2 weeks of annoyance again? or will my body be used to them despite 7 free days? If it's going to be a case of 2 weeks out of every 4 feeling like that again i think i may be rethinking this pill thing and settle for my planned single life in the country with some donkeys.
#971 Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 AM

What do they make condoms out of? like... does it harm the enviroment or anything??
#972 Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know much about what non-latex condoms are made of, but I have heard of sheepskin condoms... I don't know how damaging to the environment they are. I can tell you an unplanned birth makes an outweighing carbon footprint, then the damaging effects of all the condoms you'll use in a lifetime.
#973 Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnxoobrink View Post

What do they make condoms out of? like... does it harm the enviroment or anything??

mostly latex, or polyurethene, and also sheep intestines (which aren't supposedly as effective against STI's cos of pores). latex is extracted from trees, and is biodegradable. obviously its industrially processed to change it from tree gloop to man-part covering-device, but its a better choice environmentally than PU which doesn't break down, and ethically than using sheeps insides (cos they die and its mean).

and as otherwise mentioned, condoms probably damage the planet much less than making new people would.
#974 Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Holy crap! I didn't realize latex was made from tree stuff! Now I don't have to feel all weird and semi-guilty, even though it's better than bringing a baby in unplanned.

Wow. And ew, why would ANYone want to put their manbits in another animal's (cleaned out) guts?! Or why would a woman WANT that INside?! I just never understood that, even years upon years before my veg*nism. Yuck!
#975 Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

Holy crap! I didn't realize latex was made from tree stuff! Now I don't have to feel all weird and semi-guilty, even though it's better than bringing a baby in unplanned.

Wow. And ew, why would ANYone want to put their manbits in another animal's (cleaned out) guts?! Or why would a woman WANT that INside?! I just never understood that, even years upon years before my veg*nism. Yuck!

yep. rubber trees! very cool.

they make rubber boots and rubber bands and everything. (with rubber bands you can see the breaking down process in action very easily by finding an old one and trying to use it.

i know... sheep intestines.

but then people eat them (sausages, haggis, mystery meat) and wear leather and fur, so its sort of like on the same level as doing weird sexual things with your ham sandwich, or sticking a leather shoelace in your ear for fetishism reasons, innit?

i can see why to some its seen as environmentally not so bad, cos they're killing the sheeps anyway for dinner and rugs and they're not breeding them for their condom properties, but still- hmmmm. expecially as it really doesn't work very well at all.
#976 Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

Random question time. I started the combined pill 3ish weeks ago now and am due to start my pill free week on friday. For the first 2 weeks i had some annoying side effects, nausea, migraine, breast tenderness, numbness in limbs, tinging feelings, weakness in muscles (couldn't run a quarter of a mile let alone my usual 3), lethargy and *****y emotions ( i quite like this last one). However, in week 3 these have completely disappeared and i am energiesed and positive, happy and don't have any aches pains and am strong again. The only thing i'm worried about is if i have my pill free week, these artificial hormone levels in my body will drop and then i reintroduce them again in 7 days time, am i going to have to go through 2 weeks of annoyance again? or will my body be used to them despite 7 free days? If it's going to be a case of 2 weeks out of every 4 feeling like that again i think i may be rethinking this pill thing and settle for my planned single life in the country with some donkeys.

Hey! I went through some similar issues. When I first started the pill, I felt really moody and depressed for a short time, but it quickly evened out. I don't expect that you will feel bad every month. If you feel crappy for a few months, then go see a doctor and see about switching pills. (You don't have to go live with the donkeys, maybe just switch pills)
#977 Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yep. rubber trees! very cool.

they make rubber boots and rubber bands and everything. (with rubber bands you can see the breaking down process in action very easily by finding an old one and trying to use it.

i know... sheep intestines.

but then people eat them (sausages, haggis, mystery meat) and wear leather and fur, so its sort of like on the same level as doing weird sexual things with your ham sandwich, or sticking a leather shoelace in your ear for fetishism reasons, innit?

i can see why to some its seen as environmentally not so bad, cos they're killing the sheeps anyway for dinner and rugs and they're not breeding them for their condom properties, but still- hmmmm. expecially as it really doesn't work very well at all.

Slightly OT: Haggis = ew gaggaggag, I can't believe I tasted that stuff pre-vegan days. Ew. Plech.
#978 Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Erm, I thought most condoms weren't vegan - I thought I read somewhere that there was milk in them or something. I know that I was reading about someone ordering one particular brand that was vegan so I guess that means regular ones aren't?

*confoozled*
#979 Old 03-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Erm, I thought most condoms weren't vegan - I thought I read somewhere that there was milk in them or something. I know that I was reading about someone ordering one particular brand that was vegan so I guess that means regular ones aren't?

*confoozled*

yeah, a lot of them use casein in processing. but condomi and glyde and a few others are ok.
#980 Old 03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

yeah, a lot of them use casein in processing. but condomi and glyde and a few others are ok.

Thanks for clarifying
#981 Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

Thanks for clarifying

no probs. condomi are very cool- they're german and come in black coloured and tutti fruiti and apple and vanilla and all kindsa cool flavours and whatnot, but they can't be exported into the US for red tape reasons. for anyone else, they're great.
#982 Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Grrr stupid countries and their rulez
#983 Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Banned

i know i know.
#984 Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I love my BC pills! I was so worried I would turn into a demonic monster like I did last time I tried the pill, but I haven't at all! I was kinda moody and no sex drive for the first month I was on it but now I feel like my normal self again. AND it made my period super light, and only lasted 5 days! It usually lasts 7-10 days, bleh!

Just wanted to share my good news! Finally I don't have to worry so much about condoms breaking.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#985 Old 03-16-2009, 01:14 AM

i had the non-hormone IUD for 5 years. It was my best choice because I couldn't for health reasons use any hormones, and I didn't want any more kids, and I was to young to be fixed. It was very effective, but I would never get it again. It makes your period SUPER heavy and painful, it would also make my period last over a week.
#986 Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone had their pill (combined) make their period heavier? I assumed part of the pill was making periods lighter, or making the lining of the uterus thinner and therefore periods lighter.
#987 Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 PM

I need advice.. yet again.... I wanna go on the pill.. or the shot or sum form of birth control just in case.. but i dont want to ask my mom because i dont want her to think i'm a whore.... what do i do? i use condoms and i plan on using condoms but a back up is all i am looking for.. you know what i mean??
#988 Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I need advice.. yet again.... I wanna go on the pill.. or the shot or sum form of birth control just in case.. but i dont want to ask my mom because i dont want her to think i'm a whore.... what do i do? i use condoms and i plan on using condoms but a back up is all i am looking for.. you know what i mean??

Go to a Planned Parenthood. I think as long as you're 18 you can get the pill on your own. Or, if you're in college, go to your student health center.
#989 Old 03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:

is your mum the type to overreact like that? is there any chance that she might suprise you if you spin it right and explain that you're not shagginaround, but you just want to be safe and prepared and in charge of your fertility, blah blah blah..

you can totally go and talk to someone without your mum knowing, if you want to. planned parenthood, as suggested, or a free clinic, student clinic, etc- even your family doctor or a practice nurse (they're not allowed to share confidential info with your mum if you don't want them to).

there are a lot of good sites on line that will explain your options to you, and help you work out what'd be best for you- some people do better with something like an implant that they can forget about, some like the routine and pattern of taking pills, some don't want any hormones and prefer caps and spermicides instead, etc. plus there are different side effects, costs, etc.

talking to someone is a good plan, as it not just relying on condoms (quite a risky business).
#990 Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If you're in the US as long as you're 14 or older you're protected by doctor/patient confidentiality. Planned Parenthood, your own doctor, the local public health department are all places to get BC.

Just make sure you do still use condoms for STI prevention.

I have never understood why parents freak out when they find evidence of BC! Be glad that the kid is wrapping it up! Ugh. Oh well, my mom was different I suppose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page