The Birth Control Thread - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 03-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I have a friend who has used the Mirena IUD since she had her son. She said she really likes it, she spots once in a while but never really has a full period which is weird. Her son is only 2, though.



I have tried a few different kinds of pills. I originally started to stop being a crampy, crying, pained, diarrhea-ing, heavy-flow, 7-day-period-having mess every month.

Ortho Tri cyclen made me nauseous with 1st pill, puke with the 2nd one. I tried it twice. Same thing both times. That whole "side effects will disappear after a month or so" Yeah..no. I'm not puking for a month.



I got the depo shot twice. Gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time.



Right now I just started the patch for the convenience (i'm not sexually active and don't plan to be for quite some time) over taking the pill. I just put my first one on this past sunday. I've already got that neat dirty-looking, sticky bandaid outline. Except its in a square shape. On my right buttcheek.



I have been seriously contemplating the Essure procedure, or another tubal ligation. I don't want children, however i'm pretty young and have none, so I doubt any doctors will do one on me.

I really would like to get off of these hormones and pills and shots and ..blah blah blah, but I honestly don't know how I'd handle that time of the month without them. If anyone has any secrets, LET ME KNOW!
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegankat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,002
Okay.



I'm going in for an appointment to talk about birth control. I only have sex like every 2 months, so contraception isn't my primary goal. I'm just so sick of having terrible cramps, insane PMS, and a ridiculously heavy flow. I'm really, really aenemic, and I was told that hormonal birth control would help a lot. I'm getting a professional opinion tomorrow (as well as my overdue gyno check-up, because they want to check me for endometriosis ><).



Someone with a similar period-problem as mine suggested Seasonale. I've also heard the same thing for Ortho-tricyclene.



So, anyone have any suggestions? This is my first time with any sort of contraception other than condoms, and condoms give me a terrible reaction anyway. I want to hear it all - the good, the bad, and the ugly.







EDIT:



I was prescribed Aviane, a generic for Levlite. Apparently it's a super-low dosage. I hope that means minimal side effects. Anyone tried it?
Vegankat is offline  
#33 Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Newbie
 
S-Tizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 37
Ok I dont know if this is where i should ask this but I have just recently started on the Pill. The week before I was supposed to take the lower dosages my period came. Did it come early just because my body hasnt fully gotten used to the pill? I was just wondering if anyone had similar experiences.
S-Tizzle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 04-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Newbie
 
ADizzyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

Okay.



I'm going in for an appointment to talk about birth control. I only have sex like every 2 months, so contraception isn't my primary goal. I'm just so sick of having terrible cramps, insane PMS, and a ridiculously heavy flow. I'm really, really aenemic, and I was told that hormonal birth control would help a lot. I'm getting a professional opinion tomorrow (as well as my overdue gyno check-up, because they want to check me for endometriosis ><).



Someone with a similar period-problem as mine suggested Seasonale. I've also heard the same thing for Ortho-tricyclene.



So, anyone have any suggestions? This is my first time with any sort of contraception other than condoms, and condoms give me a terrible reaction anyway. I want to hear it all - the good, the bad, and the ugly.







EDIT:



I was prescribed Aviane, a generic for Levlite. Apparently it's a super-low dosage. I hope that means minimal side effects. Anyone tried it?



i just came off aviane (see this thread)



i didn't like it.. i used it for about 8 months but it gave me nasty mood swings, among other things, which was my primary reason for stopping it. everyone is different though.. if it doesn't agree with you, you can always go back to your gyno and ask about another type of pill.
ADizzyGirl is offline  
#35 Old 04-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Beginner
 
jl770567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post


My best friend uses the Mirena IUD. It's hormonal but doesn't contain as high a dosage as other IUDs,



Just thought that I would point out that true IUDs are NOT hormonal, they are simply a device attached to the uterine walls that prevent the attachment of a fertilized zygote. An IUD with slow release hormones contained in the device is an IUS.
jl770567 is offline  
#36 Old 04-08-2005, 04:59 AM
Beginner
 
jl770567's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 101
for those of you who have irritation when using (non-spermicidal) condoms, have you ever considered that you may be allergic to latex? i am, and it sounds like it affects the two of you the same way as it does me. look around your drug store for another type of condoms, maybe these will help.
jl770567 is offline  
#37 Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,489
I am on the NuvaRing and I love it. I love not having to take a pill every day. You put it in on Sunday. Three Sundays later you take it out. The next Sunday you put in a new one. Easy as that. I was worried that he would be able to feel it or scrape against it during sex and it would be uncomfortable for him, but that is not a problem. I can't feel it inside either. The downfall is that it does not control my bad cramps as well as the pill (ortho tricyclen lo.) Still better than when I was not on bc at all though! Much better. It's good not to be dying during my period. We also use condoms as backup. Planned Parenthood gives me Plan B to take in the case of an emergency. I did have to take it once when I was on the pill- I had accidentally left my pills on a plane, and then the condom leaked. Whoops!
strawberry is offline  
#38 Old 04-17-2005, 12:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegankat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,002
Okay. I started my pills and I've become a Psycho B****. I can't even control it. My coworkers love it because the smart-*** comebacks just roll off my tongue, especially with rude customers, but this really isn't like me. I was practically a pushover before. I do feel a lot grouchier than usual. When I snap at people, it's before I even have a chance to think about what I'm doing. It just pops out. Will this subside, or is it just a side-effect I have to learn to control?
Vegankat is offline  
#39 Old 04-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
April's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,069
How long have you been on the pill? I can't really offer any advice, as I didn't notice any mood swings (no change in them, at least) when I was on the pill.



Has anything else in your life changed recently that might make you crankier? I'm crankier right now because it's nearing the end of the semester and I have a thousand things to worry about and not enough time to do it all, etc.



I hope things cool down for you, whatever the cause is.
April is offline  
#40 Old 04-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bizarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,688
Well nobody has brought up the evil Norplant yet and I'm more than happy to be the first.



I don't know if it's still on the market but it shouldn't be! I became a Norplant guinea pig when my parents decided it was a good idea at age 18. We had so many teenage friends and family getting pregnant we were going to extreme measures to avoid that happening to me. I bled everyday for about a year on it. It gave me cramps and other personal problems I can't even talk about. I still have cramps and lumps in my arm where they were implanted 12 years ago. I had the removal surgery about 10 years ago and I still have these problems and my arm is still noticeably swolen. One of the tubes broke inside my arm during "removal" and pieces of it were left inside my body because they couldn't get it out. My muscle grew around one of the hormone filled plastic tubes. Supposedly it disentegrates in the body someday but I think I can still feel something in there.



I wouldn't reccomend this over a coat hanger abortion. DO NOT GET THIS!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

bizarro is offline  
#41 Old 04-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

Okay. I started my pills and I've become a Psycho B****. I can't even control it. My coworkers love it because the smart-*** comebacks just roll off my tongue, especially with rude customers, but this really isn't like me. I was practically a pushover before. I do feel a lot grouchier than usual. When I snap at people, it's before I even have a chance to think about what I'm doing. It just pops out. Will this subside, or is it just a side-effect I have to learn to control?



For the first month or so on my pills I was an emotional wreck. It got better. I remember the first month hysterically crying all the time saying "I can't take this!" and that was over four years ago. Now the only excuse I have for being an emotional wreck is the tremendous amount of stress I'm experiencing.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#42 Old 04-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarro View Post

Well nobody has brought up the evil Norplant yet and I'm more than happy to be the first.



I don't know if it's still on the market but it shouldn't be!



Its no longer on the market in the US.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#43 Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
bizarro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Its no longer on the market in the US.



Right on, good to know!



When I had mine removed at Planned Parenthood they told me that they only do removals and had never implanted one.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

bizarro is offline  
#44 Old 04-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Beginner
 
Susanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 107
I'm on the pill and I'm thinking about going off it as I haven't had a boyfriend for a while (but I live in hope!). I got depressed soon after going on it and while it was a combination of things, I think the pill did play a part.

I'm pretty sure it has also negatively affected my weight and my libido.

Wow, why am I even on it?



Oh, and VeganKat, a plus is that my periods are a lot lighter now, which helps me keep my iron levels higher than they would be otherwise.
Susanne is offline  
#45 Old 04-28-2005, 07:48 AM
FSG
Newbie
 
FSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclin Lo for only a month and though I was moody before... It made me HORRIBLE!! I cried almost everyday over the stupidest things! Even if they weren't mean or sad! I've thought about trying the Uva Ring and I read that one of you have/were on it for about 6 months? How has that been for you? Would you recommend it? I heard its good and it helps with the moodiness. If you could let me know that would be great! Thanks!
FSG is offline  
#46 Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veggiewriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 720
I've been on the Nuva Ring and loved it loved it loved it! Only problem was: some doctors haven't a clue what it is. Very very sad. I 'lost' a ring once at a party (I don't remember exactly how it happened...but it was fault, it's not like it could fall out on its own) and when I went in to get a replacement for the month, the Urgent Care doc told me, "Oh, maybe you didn't loose it. Maybe you just took it out at night, like you always do, and forgot it on your night table." No, lady, no I didn't. Because you don't take it out at night. She really irritated me; especially because I like to think that female doctors are "up" on the latest female health news. Oh well.



Anyway, I like the ring better than any other sort of bc. Pills work for me (I've never noticed any mood changes), I hated Depo, and I've never tried the patch (but it seems weird to be wearing a peach-colored sticker all the time...maybe if they made them in pretty floral patterns?)
veggiewriter is offline  
#47 Old 04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

I think IUDs are a bad idea. I've always been a little uncomfortable with the mechanism of them--irritating your uterine lining so that it doesn't thicken--and yesterday I read that they increase your risk of endometriosis, because they create such an inflammatory condition. Please folks--don't take chances like that. Endometriosis REALLY sucks.





:-( Don't say that. I just had an IUD put in, because my doctor doesn't want to sterilize me due to my age. My only consolation is that doing anything nowadays brings on some form of cancer.
GhostUser is offline  
#48 Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 AM
FSG
Newbie
 
FSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiewriter View Post

I've been on the Nuva Ring and loved it loved it loved it! Only problem was: some doctors haven't a clue what it is. Very very sad. I 'lost' a ring once at a party (I don't remember exactly how it happened...but it was fault, it's not like it could fall out on its own) and when I went in to get a replacement for the month, the Urgent Care doc told me, "Oh, maybe you didn't loose it. Maybe you just took it out at night, like you always do, and forgot it on your night table." No, lady, no I didn't. Because you don't take it out at night. She really irritated me; especially because I like to think that female doctors are "up" on the latest female health news. Oh well.



Anyway, I like the ring better than any other sort of bc. Pills work for me (I've never noticed any mood changes), I hated Depo, and I've never tried the patch (but it seems weird to be wearing a peach-colored sticker all the time...maybe if they made them in pretty floral patterns?)



Will I or my partner feel it at all? When do you put it in? (eg: the pill you have to take at a certain time of the month to start it.) Can you start it whenever? I'm going into Planned Parenthood today and I'll talk to them about some of the other choices cuz I agree about the patch. Why cant they make them pretty? I'm just not sure I trust it and the shot is too expensive. The ring was my next best choice. Thanks for your input VeggieWritter!
FSG is offline  
#49 Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Thalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,902
Has anyone mentioned that the Sponge is back on the market?

http://www.todaysponge.com/
Thalia is offline  
#50 Old 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegankat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,002
I've almost finished my first pack of pills (I'm taking Aviane), and aside from the crazy emotional issues the first 2 weeks, I have to say I am very pleased. I feel really good, I always take it on time, and even though I was told the dosage was too low to be an effective acne treatment, my hormonal acne has cleared up significantly. No weight gain whatsoever (in fact, I've lost a little, but it should also be said that I am in ED recovery - but eating pretty normally lately), no braekthrough bleeding yet, and no PMS symptoms to speak of, and I'm one of those people who has PMS up to 2 weeks before my period. The true test will be if my period is actually lighter when it actually starts.
Vegankat is offline  
#51 Old 05-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegankat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,002
Um... my boobs grew practically overnight. I went from a 32 A to a 32 B in no time at all... and my boobies are spilling over the top of a couple of the 32 Bs' cups. They hurt so badly, too. Is it supposed to hurt this much? And how much to they grow, on average? I don't want to buy new bras. Or new shirts, for that matter.
Vegankat is offline  
#52 Old 05-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Newbie
 
justdunno's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1
It's late here and after hours of searching, found you guys...What a relief! I'm new to the Nuvaring and have had more weird things happen with my body than in my 39 years on the planet. Most info on the net seems to be hype (guess that depends on which side of the ring you're on!) I'd love to know if anyone else out there has experience with the "ring". Thanx
justdunno is offline  
#53 Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Newbie
 
gemini_gal22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1
i have the iud(copper) in for 4 months now and my p's was fine untill march when i missed it then in april i started unexpected but i havent stopped bleeding i went to my docs she checked me a said i was fine but said shell do a pregnancy test then changed her mind. now i feel really funny could i be pregnant a still be bleeding??? ive had 2 childern before. thank you
gemini_gal22 is offline  
#54 Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdunno View Post

It's late here and after hours of searching, found you guys...What a relief! I'm new to the Nuvaring and have had more weird things happen with my body than in my 39 years on the planet. Most info on the net seems to be hype (guess that depends on which side of the ring you're on!) I'd love to know if anyone else out there has experience with the "ring". Thanx



I am on the nuvaring and I love it! My post is on page two of this thread.
strawberry is offline  
#55 Old 05-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Beginner
 
Susanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 107
It kind of freaks me out how much a little pill can affect your body.
Susanne is offline  
#56 Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Vegankat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,002
Okay, so I started my new pack 8 hours late. Is this really bad? Does this require a back-up method or anything (I'll be having sex regularly for 4 weeks starting Tuesday)? I'll be taking it at my regular time starting tomorrow. The literature with the pills says missing one active pill doesn't require a back-up method, but I'd like to know what you guys think. Is 3 days enough time to get me nice and unimpregnable?
Vegankat is offline  
#57 Old 05-14-2005, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
I use Ortho-Tricyclene and my periods are nice and regular now, and skin seems a bit cleared up as well. However I am terrible for remembering my pills. I skip them all the time. I t hink Im' going to just finish off my prescription and then switch over to the Patch. I just hope it doesn't screw up my cycle, or my skin...or my hormones! oh man I was a monster the first couple months I went on the pill.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#58 Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 AM
FSG
Newbie
 
FSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5
In one of the other many BC threads someone asked if they could start their pack whenever so they can control it. Is this true? Or do you have to take it the first 24 hours of your period?
FSG is offline  
#59 Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Newbie
 
manduh519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 78
i'm on yasmin and its making me not able to loose weight and it makes me grow hair on my face and chest...though i have been on BC snice i was 11 ( i had an ovairn cyst) and it hurt! lol...seriously BC has screws me up so bad and i wish i was never on it..i dont want to be on it for the rest of my life so i'm thinking about seeing what i do without it. my body has never had a normal period...
manduh519 is offline  
#60 Old 05-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
zoebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 8,451
manduh:



check out fertility awareness method--it can also help with cysts. i recommend garden of fertility by katie singer because she has a lot of resources about alternative treatments for various disorders. here's the web site http://www.gardenoffertility.com.



vegankat:



the bra issue could be any number of things. I went from an A to a C in about 3 weeks when i was 18. i had to buy new bras, shirts, all sorts of things. I just developed very quickly. I did hurt (swelling) but it went away.



similarly, if your BC is causing major swelling, this is relatively normal, but if it persists for a while, you may need to consider talking with your doctor.
zoebird is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off