So frustrated with BC!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I love the convienence of birth control pills but I have one major side effect from them that I can't stand. I lose my sex drive completely. I don't think that's the way they are supposed to keep you from getting pregnant. Although it is effective. I have tried two so far, both generic type loestrine type pills, and I am considering asking my gyno to give me a different prescription. I know that a lot of women have to try a number of pills before they can find one they like, but the thought of going through all those different pills really doesn't appeal to me. Does anyone else have this problem? I miss my sex drive I'm not going another month like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't have the problem because i don't take the pill.

i think that the pill is one way of controlling female sexuality--but you'll have to do a search for the reasoning behind that idea. i've written it before in greater detail.

i recommend learning fertility awareness method. when practiced properly, it is as effective as the pill. YOu get to know your body, understand it in new ways, and you don't have to use any chemicals. It's often used in tandem with barrier methods or abstinance during the fertile period (a 3-4 day stretch during a given cycle). Very simple process, inexpensive, drug free.

taking charge of your fertility and garden of fertility are great books. web sites: ovusoft.com and gardenoffertility.com.
#3 Old 01-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Beginner

IUD if you want to go with something other than relying on what your schedule is like, for some people thats just way too hard, especially if you're just getting off a hormonal birth control. IUD is hormone free, so it shouldn't affect your sex drive. it also lasts 5 years, is completely reversable and considering the time period that it is effective for, its actually more affordable than the pill. ask your gyno, its definitely not right for everyone. its very rare for the IUD to be perscibed to anyone under 21, unless there are serious probs with hormonal BC or a history of unwanted pregnancies.

btw, there is a similar form of BC called the IUS, that one DOES contain hormones, its kind of like doubling up the BC, but it is not proven to be more effective and for the first few months after insertion, your body may react strongly to the amounts of hormones being delievered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-31-2005, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I have zero interest in an IDU, they totally freak me out. Sorry. But thank you for the suggestion. Zoebird, I've seen you post about the fertility awareness before but I have to ask how does stress affect it? I tend to get very stressed out and have somewhat of an irregular cycle when I'm not on the pill, and I am 100% sure that right now is NOT a good time to get pregnant so I really don't want to risk it. I can see myself doing something like that when I'm married though, it sounds very interesting. I just know how tired and stressed I am all the time and I don't know how effective it would be for me right now.
#5 Old 01-31-2005, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

stress doesn't affect FAM at all. FAM is not about predictions, it's about direct observation and being able to interpret and understand those observations--so it doesn't matter if the menstrual cycle may run a different number of days from cycle to cycle (the last four cycles of mine have been like this: 29 days, 27 days, 26 days, and 29 days). Similarly, my fertility phase started on different days in each given cycle as well. IN the last cycle i had a 'false peak' or a false fertility phase too. That was really interesting. So, i do the charting and follow the rules. It's not hard, really. it only takes a few moments every day.

and, my husband uses condoms. he uses them all the time because that's his way of participating in BC, but he doesn't have to. He knows when i'm fertile (he can read the chart) and he makes sure to be 'extra careful' on those days. Also, he has his own FAM journal that matches mine, except in his he writes what various touching and sex play techniques worked really well that day. He's noticed that when i'm fertile, nearly everything works, but when i'm not fertile he has to do different sorts of things based on vaginal moisture/dryness and cervical presentation. So, he has his own 'sex guide' journal which has proven really interesting.

So, anyway, it's a really easy method and your cycle doesn't have to be 'regular.' you just have to learn the signs, observe and interpret them, and then follow the rules. The real cycle that you're looking for is not when mensus is going to come, but rather when you are fertile. So, ti's really *fertility awareness* not *menstrual cycle charting*--though menses is part of the whole fertility cycle. Do you see what i'm saying?
#6 Old 01-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

But your husband still uses condoms. That is where my problem lies. My bf will use them if I insist but I know he really doesn't enjoy them and to be honest I really don't either so we really aren't good about usuing them. That was why the pill was better for us. How effective is fertility awareness if you don't use condoms, or if you only use condoms during your fertile time?
#7 Old 02-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Veggie Regular

well, you only need to use a barrier contraception during your fertile time--so you'd only 'need' to use condoms for the 3-5 day period of fertility during your cycle. THe rest of the time, you wouldn't need to use them. or, you can simply abstain for those 3-5 days. or, you can use another form of barrier contraception (cervical cap or diaphragm).

When used in this manner, FAM is just as effective as the pill. Like the pill, when used properly it has a 2% failure rate. Isn't that amazing? and it's completely natural and very rewarding.

I would prefer if ryan didn't use condoms during non-fertile times, particularly the luteal phase between ovulation and menstruation. But, he feels empowered by condoms, that they are his way of taking charge of his reproductive destiny. I honor that about him. Not every man is willing to use condoms (which i think is very selfish in some cases), but it's not the only option available to you if you're using FAM.

The only time that you have to worry about his fertility (ie, sperm) is when you're in a fertile phase. it's only 3-5 days out of the average 28-33 days of a cycle (that's a generality, not a prediction or indicator of any sort). So, to go without sex for three to five days isn't that difficult, or to use some form of barrier contraception for three to five days isn't that difficult either. There are other options for barrier contraception, such as diaphrams and cervical caps--both of which can be fitted by your gynocologist.

also, it helps to add birth control to sex play. For instance, ryan will use a certain tone and say 'what was your body temp again today?" and that's alluring to me. When he gets good and erect, i have a fun way of putting the condom on him. Right now, we're experimenting with the cervical cap. He likes being the one to 'put it on me'--so even putting on the cervical cap is part of sexual play. It's sexy because we are having fun, we know that we're going to continue to have fun, and that we can have fun without worrying aobut whether or not we're going to get pregnant or get sick or loose sex drive because of a drug that can potentially really harm my body.

so, i love FAM. it really gives you freedom and power. Well, knowledge is power and freedom, and FAM gives knowledge more than anything. It's amazing.
#8 Old 02-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks Zoebird, you gave me a lot to think about. I appreciate your openness.
#9 Old 02-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Beginner

I thought you were talking about British Columbia...lol
#10 Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HystericGlamour View Post

I thought you were talking about British Columbia...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page