moisturizer - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-28-2005, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I thought I would post this here since I'm not sure how many men use body moisturizer. I am fairly sure I have an aloe allergy, but I also have very dry skin right now. Does anyone know of any good vegan moisturizer for really dry skin that does not contain aloe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-28-2005, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Use pure Jojoba. It is *grand*. I have never seen an allergy to it, it is quickly absorbed and extremely emollient.

Do you mind my asking how you discoverd you had an aloe allergy? Are you also allergic to other succulents? Have you ever eaten Nopales (cactus) or Prickly Pears? Just curious...
#3 Old 01-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meg View Post

I thought I would post this here since I'm not sure how many men use body moisturizer. I am fairly sure I have an aloe allergy, but I also have very dry skin right now. Does anyone know of any good vegan moisturizer for really dry skin that does not contain aloe?

Bath and Body Works. Vegan and fantabulous. Couldn't live without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

Use pure Jojoba. It is *grand*. I have never seen an allergy to it, it is quickly absorbed and extremely emollient.

Do you mind my asking how you discoverd you had an aloe allergy? Are you also allergic to other succulents? Have you ever eaten Nopales (cactus) or Prickly Pears? Just curious...

I am pretty sure I'm allergic to aloe just by the fact that I tend to get a little hivey when I use moisturizers that contain aloe. It has taken me over a year to realize this but just the other night I was getting so frustrated at how itchy my skin was and I was sure I was usuing a moisturizer that didn't have aloe, it was supposed to be some nut oil stuff but when I actually looked at the ingredients aloe is one of the main ones. So I'm fairly sure I should stay away from it. I have never eaten any of those things you mentioned, so who knows. For someone who grew up with almost no allergies I seem to be finding more and more popping up.
#5 Old 01-28-2005, 11:34 PM

Olive oil!

I have dry skin in the winter, so I add a few tablespoons of olive oil to my bath and it makes a great moisturizer!

I also use the "bar none" from Dirty Kitty. It's totally vegan and smells delicious www.cleanvegan.com

Hope that helps!
#6 Old 01-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Banned

Pure coconut oil always works for me. You can also use it as a deep conditioner for your hair. Any health store carries it. I'd also try what Foxy suggested. She knows her stuff!
#7 Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

wow I went shopping today and went to pick up some jojoba oil and holy crap is that expensive. I think I might try some olive oil stuff first and see if that works.
#8 Old 02-01-2005, 11:57 AM

Wow! I thought I was the only one with an aloe problem. I don't get hives. Aloe just completely dries me out. I use Arbonne. It's vegan, and I don't believe it has aloe. I've never had a problem with it. It's great stuff, but expensive.
#9 Old 02-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

Wow! I thought I was the only one with an aloe problem. I don't get hives. Aloe just completely dries me out. I use Arbonne. It's vegan, and I don't believe it has aloe. I've never had a problem with it. It's great stuff, but expensive.

Cougar, which Arbonne moisturizer do you use? I know quite a few or ours have aloe.
#10 Old 02-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I use my own stuff. (I have a little online bath & body shop; I manufacture all my own soaps & sundries. All are vegetarian, a good percent are vegan. CCSoapCo.com is my site *blatant plug*)

I make a whipped body butter that has just three ingredients: shea butter, jojoba oil, and vitamin E oil.

No preservatives! Since there is no water in this recipe, it is considered "self-preserving".

And sometimes I add some lavender essential oil. Mmmm... I smear that stuff everywhere, even on my lips. Totally non-toxic!

It's a great heavy-duty moisturizer, just a touch of it on the fingers is enough for my whole face. A little goes a looong way...I describe it as "concentrated lotion", because it has everything a lotion has except the water, preservatives and emulsifiers.

I'm also working on a more deluxe version that's using a blend of unrefined butters imported directly from Africa. It's turning out really nicely! I will probably have that for sale on my site sometime in the next month or two; I'm still working on some packaging issues.
#11 Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow... I came on line looking for this exact same info. Wierd.....

I too have an aloe allergy. I discovered it when I was about 10 and my mom put some aloe directly from the plant onto my arm... and the whole side of my body got a rash. I get all itchy if I use something with aloe in it.

I've been using up my old oil of olay moisturiser, which I like bc it has an spf of 15, but I would love a more natural vegan one, so...

Thanks for all the ideas!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#12 Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganistan View Post

Bath and Body Works. Vegan and fantabulous. Couldn't live without it.

Is Bath and Body Works really vegan? Thats what I was using, but I am getting all kinds of rash-i-ness. I wasn't hoping switching over to a vegan lotion would do the trick. I guess not
#13 Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as I'm aware, Bath & Body works is not vegan. Maybe one or two of their lotions might be, but I remember seeing milk and I think silk? in their products. Maybe even lanolin? I honestly don't know for sure.

Jinga, you could be getting rashy from the artificial fragrances or artificial colors.
#14 Old 02-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Jinga, you might be having a reaction to some other ingredient in the lotion.

Most commercial lotions have so much weird stuff in there, that they use ph balancers to bring the mix back up or down to something human skin can tolerate. Those balancers are usually sodium hydroxide or citric acid, both of which can be irritating. Also a lot of commercial lotions contain cetyl alcohol in surprising amounts, which can dry & aggravate your skin.

Look for a lotion with as few ingredients as possible. All you really need in lotion is water, oil, some kind of emulsifier, and a preservative. Check around your area for people who handcraft lotion (I don't make it to sell myself or I'd plug my own store, lol). Many handcrafters are really careful not to put a lot of unnecessary junk in their lotion, but watch out for people who buy bases and just add scent & color - those bases usually have all the extra junk. The emulsifier most handcrafters use should be listed as "Emulsifying wax" or "Emulsifying Wax NF" - this is almost always a vegetable wax, but you should be able to ask the crafter to be sure.

You can also sorta make a lotion on your own without buying a lot of weird stuff, but unless you buy an emulsifier you'll have to shake it each time you use it. Olive oil is easy to find and is great for your skin - try whipping up about 3 parts hot water and 1 part olive oil in your blender; then add more water as you blend until you get a nice consistency. Make just a small amount that you can use up within 3-4 days and keep it refrigerated between uses. Shake it well each time you take it out because the water & oil will seperate.

You can also drizzle in a little vegetable glycerine or honey if you wish; both are natural humectants and will help moisturize your skin. Althought I guess with honey it's not really all that vegan anymore.

If you wish to add scent, lavender essential oil is very good for your skin and makes a perfect companion to a lotion. Just add it drop by drop, a little usually goes a long way.

Edit to add - the water for the lotion should be boiled and then held at near-boiling for 35 minutes to kill off any bacteria that might be in there.
#15 Old 02-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Baby Love

Thanks for the responses, ladies

I'm not sure I want to make my own lotion right now, but I do have a Trader Joes, Wild Oats, and Whole Foods not too far away. Do you know of any products they might sell that would have few ingredients, be vegan, and not have strange scents and dyes?
#16 Old 02-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know of any off the top of my head - I do make lotion but because I can't afford laboratory testing I only make it for myself & friends & family.

I am curious though...I'm vegetarian (not vegan) so maybe I just haven't noticed...but what, other than honey or milk, could there be in lotion that would be non-vegan?

Although, I wouldn't put it past someone to try to make lotion out of lard. (Someone just shipped me a bar of soap made out of lard and bear fat, of all things, trying to sway me into thinking that lard/tallow soaps are superior to all-veggie soaps. Ha!)

If I happen to go to TJ's or the health food store soon, I'll look at the lotions and see if any stand out to me as being particularly "kind".
#17 Old 02-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Beginner

I don't know about B&BW. On the labels of all their products I own (I have a body lotion, bubble bath, and body spray) it says 'this finished product not tested on animals'. I take that to mean that perhaps there is animal testing during production?

I'd be interested to find out but am too lazy to do so right this moment.
#18 Old 02-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelTremens View Post

I don't know about B&BW. On the labels of all their products I own (I have a body lotion, bubble bath, and body spray) it says 'this finished product not tested on animals'. I take that to mean that perhaps there is animal testing during production?

I'd be interested to find out but am too lazy to do so right this moment.

It probably just means that while they don't animal test themselves, the ingredients used may have been animal tested at some point.

Such as preservatives - I don't know of a single preservative out there that hasn't, at one point or another, been tested on animals.
#19 Old 02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post

I am curious though...I'm vegetarian (not vegan) so maybe I just haven't noticed...but what, other than honey or milk, could there be in lotion that would be non-vegan?

I started comparing my lotions to a list of animal ingredients. Heres what I found:

Jergens ....

Glycerin - A bi-product of soap manufacturing usually from animal fat.

Allantoin - Uric acid from mammals OR derived from plants.

Stearic Acid - From cows and sheep and dogs and cats destroyed in animal shelters and elsewhere. Most often the refers to the fatty substance taken from the stomachs of pigs. Note: Can be harsh, irritating. Can also be found in vegetable fats.

Bath and Body Works ...

Isopropyl Palmitate - Stearic Acid and Palmitic Acid. See Stearic Acid above.

Stearic Acid - See above.

Several forms of Glyceryl - From Glycerin?

Acetylated Lanolin - Lanolin = Product extracted from the oil glands of sheep.

Honey - We all know what this is ... Note: Can cause allergic reactions.

Cetyl Alcohol - Wax from whales and dolphins. Al

so available in synthetic and vegetable forms.

Imidazolidinyl Urea - Urea is excreted from urine and bodily fluids.

I think I am going to go throw up now. Theres really no way to know from raeding the bottle if the sources used were vegetable or animal based. Barf. No wonder my skin hates me, I've been rubbing carcass and urine on it.
#20 Old 02-12-2005, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

No wonder my skin hates me, I've been rubbing carcass and urine on it.

I still love you anyway

just don't ask me to touch you

#21 Old 02-12-2005, 09:05 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meg View Post

I still love you anyway

just don't ask me to touch you

Aww. Thanks.

I haven't used any lotion in days and I've been washing in olive oil based soap. I should be touchable once the quarantine period is over
#22 Old 02-12-2005, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post

It probably just means that while they don't animal test themselves, the ingredients used may have been animal tested at some point.

Such as preservatives - I don't know of a single preservative out there that hasn't, at one point or another, been tested on animals.

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight, Coop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page