Faux Fur - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 11-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cymbeline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 610
Would you wear faux fur? It has nothing to do with animals yet it does, in a sense, honor the tradion of fur. Very few people wear real fur these days (at least not where I live!), so most all will know yours is faux, especially as it does look a little different than the real thing. Still...
cymbeline is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 11-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
borealis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,557
I don't have a problem with faux fur, any more than I have a problem with faux leather. No animals were killed.



I saw a woman yesterday wearing real fur, and she was very proud of it.
borealis is offline  
#3 Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
holly golightly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,369
i have a few garments that have faux fur trim. i love them but some times i get dirty looks from the ignorant. oh well.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
holly golightly is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 11-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Hel
Beginner
 
Hel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 144
faux fur is fantastic
Hel is offline  
#5 Old 11-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elena99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,473
I only like faux fur if it's a colour that obviously was never real, like the vibrant blue trim on my winter hat. I don't like fake fur to look like I'm wearing an animal. (I know real fur can be dyed, but most people who wear fur for the sake of wearing fur keep it natural. Umm, I think. I haven't seen any coats or pictures of people wearing real fur dyed pink or blue or otherwise, but I could be wrong. ^-^ )
Elena99 is offline  
#6 Old 11-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Hel
Beginner
 
Hel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

I only like faux fur if it's a colour that obviously was never real, like the vibrant blue trim on my winter hat. I don't like fake fur to look like I'm wearing an animal. (I know real fur can be dyed, but most people who wear fur for the sake of wearing fur keep it natural. Umm, I think. I haven't seen any coats or pictures of people wearing real fur dyed pink or blue or otherwise, but I could be wrong. ^-^ )







green fox hat



red



yellow
Hel is offline  
#7 Old 11-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
punkmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,907
I like faux fur, but mostly just leapord print ( because I'm that trashy ) . I wear pleather too. I'm vegan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be eating granola and wearing some sort of recycled hemp sandles or something
punkmommy is offline  
#8 Old 11-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Actually, one of the tactics the fur industry used to get fur to sell while the popularity of fur was down was to color it, and make it trim, since that seems so innocent. And now fur's popularity is going up again... I hate those *******s.
GhostUser is offline  
#9 Old 11-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Beginner
 
JulieShul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 126
I must say, i'm a little irked by faux fur, because in ways, by wearing it, one is stating that it looks good and should stay fashionable...and to me, that reinforces the fur industry. maybe it's just a conspiracy theory..but that's the main reason why i avoid faux fur and faux leather...
JulieShul is offline  
#10 Old 11-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elena99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,473
Ahh, thanks Hel.
Elena99 is offline  
#11 Old 11-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
spehlbaund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieShul View Post

I must say, i'm a little irked by faux fur, because in ways, by wearing it, one is stating that it looks good and should stay fashionable...and to me, that reinforces the fur industry. maybe it's just a conspiracy theory..but that's the main reason why i avoid faux fur and faux leather...

I agree. I think the only time I'd wear faux-dead animal skin is if it was to keep warm or something, not for looks. Oh, or if there's something that is usually made out of leather that I need and can only get fake leather, like a belt (but I doubt that would happen).
spehlbaund is offline  
#12 Old 11-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Descentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,339
I like faux fur - but the three or so things I have that are faux are very *obviously* faux.



I was in a shop the other day looking at these shirts that were really cool. One was furry so I picked it up and held it against me. The shop assistant came over and explained "It's lovely isn't it? It's real rabbit fur" said proudly. I blanched and loudly went "oh YUK!" and dropped the shirt on the floor. "I can't believe I touched that and that you guys would sell real fur in a shop like this. I will not ever be shopping here again. Fur is cruel and unnecessary and just wrong!" and walked out. It was all reaction, I didn't even think.



It sucks because I really liked the unusual stuff they had there.
Descentia is offline  
#13 Old 11-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
808veggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,403
I have a great black faux fur jacket....
808veggie is offline  
#14 Old 11-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
carnelian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

I don't have a problem with faux fur, any more than I have a problem with faux leather. No animals were killed.



Ditto.
carnelian is offline  
#15 Old 11-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vggiegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

I like faux fur, but mostly just leapord print ( because I'm that trashy ) . I wear pleather too. I'm vegan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be eating granola and wearing some sort of recycled hemp sandles or something





Whoa trashy momma!!!
vggiegirl is offline  
#16 Old 11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I don't have a problem with faux fur either.
GhostUser is offline  
#17 Old 11-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Alfiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieShul View Post

I must say, i'm a little irked by faux fur, because in ways, by wearing it, one is stating that it looks good and should stay fashionable...and to me, that reinforces the fur industry. maybe it's just a conspiracy theory..but that's the main reason why i avoid faux fur and faux leather...





I kind of feel the opposite. Personally I don't like faux fur - just cause I don't like the look of it - but I think it kind of says "if you like the look of fur you can get it without a poor animal suffering."
Alfiedog is offline  
#18 Old 11-15-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Texaspice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 702
Yesterday I tried on a cute sweater at Banana Republic and almost bought it before I decided to look at the tag to see the care instructions.



It was partially made from rabbit fur. Needless to say I put it down and got the h*ll out of the store. I still feel awful from just trying it on!
Texaspice is offline  
#19 Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Morticia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 300
I have no moral problem with fake fur, I just don't like it much. Especially since I've seen a lot of real fur out here since it got cold. Ick to real fur. Pleather, on the other hand, I like lots.
Morticia is offline  
#20 Old 11-15-2004, 06:17 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I like the fakes. I think it shows people that they can get the benefits without the cruelty. Similar to fake meats.
GhostUser is offline  
#21 Old 11-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkmommy View Post

I like faux fur, but mostly just leapord print ( because I'm that trashy ) . I wear pleather too. I'm vegan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be eating granola and wearing some sort of recycled hemp sandles or something





*reads the fine print* I'm sure somewhere in here, it says that
GhostUser is offline  
#22 Old 11-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DuckThatWasn't's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbeline View Post

Would you wear faux fur? It has nothing to do with animals yet it does, in a sense, honor the tradion of fur. Very few people wear real fur these days (at least not where I live!), so most all will know yours is faux, especially as it does look a little different than the real thing. Still...





Like Sokara said, fur is going up in popularity in a huge way. Very sad. Anyway, I have no problem with fake fur--I think it's pretty ugly and wouldn't want people thinking it were real--but I have no moral objection to it.
DuckThatWasn't is offline  
#23 Old 11-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular
 
peace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,262
I used to be gung-ho for fake fur and similar alternative products, but I'm beginning to have some mixed feelings.

Step into any mall or department store, and you'll see fur is EVERYWHERE this season. JC Penney in my local mall set up a display under the sign "fur-rocious!" with tons of rabbit-fur wraps and sweaters with real fur trim. Penney's, Kaufmanns, Burlington Coat Factory, Peebles, and countless other store chains seem to have expanded their fur inventory--selling everything from fur-trimmed parkas and sweaters to rabbit fur scarves and hats. Even teen stores like Gadzooks and Rave have gotten into the act, and are selling numerous lower-priced, lower-quality real fur jackets, vests, ponchos, and scarves.

These real fur products are lower priced than most traditional fur products, and they are sold right alongside fake fur items. Many of them, especially the fur-trim products, are not even labeled that they are made of fur. And quite a few, especially the rabbit-fur trim, are dyed unnatural colors like blue or burgundy. I have spoken to several people who automatically assume that because these products are unlabelled, cheap, and not in a traditional fur salon, they must be fake.

In this way, fake fur has benefited the fur industry. It has allowed them to re-introduce real fur, piece by piece, back into everyday department stores. A person no longer has to go to a costly boutique to buy fur. Indeed, they don't even have to be aware of what they are buying at all!

The conspiracy theorist in me is also starting to suspect the plethora of fake fur items that appeared in recent years was a test marketing of sorts. Perhaps clothing companies and stores wanted to test the market and see if the public went for fake fur. If they did, maybe they'd go for inexpensive real fur, too. I see Gadzooks as a great example. Two years ago, I thought, "Wow! Look at all of this fake fur and pleather, that's great they're choosing the kinder alternatives!" Now, when I walk by thier huge display of rabbit fur coats, I think, "Oh ****. Won't get fooled again." I'm starting to believe their previous enthusiasm for fake fur was a test to see if the teen and juniors market would respond to the fur look.

Countless fashion articles on the subject have the general theme of, "Well, it doesn't matter if you buy fake or real, fur is hot, hot, hot!" In a sense, the industry's ingenious strategy is to erase the cost, status, and moral divide between animal fur and imitation fur.

I have fake fur clothing items that I've bought in the past. I always put "Fake" buttons on my fake fur and pleather products, but I'm starting to worry it's not enough. What I used to see as a harmless way to promote and advertise alternatives to cruelty, I'm starting to wonder is just promoting all fur as desirable.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
peace is offline  
#24 Old 11-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular
 
Kiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,132
I have no problem with fake fur. As to the "it promotes real fur wearing" believe me when I say, no one will ever look at me and go, "she's so cool! I gotta go out and wear a dead fox now!".

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Kiz is offline  
#25 Old 11-16-2004, 06:26 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
True. I don't think it promotes the real fur industry anymore than veggie burgers promote the beef industry. I see what Peace is saying though and follow the logic.
GhostUser is offline  
#26 Old 11-16-2004, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
spud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,573
I think Peace has a good point.

25 years ago I worked in a shop that promoted vegetarian fake furs as part of it's veggie ethic. I wore fakes then, with a badge saying "make no mistake, my fur is fake".

Now I haven't worn one for years, though I have an immaculate mink type one in my wardrobe. Something in me just never lets me pull it off the hanger. I think I'd need a badge on the back, or a big arrow floating over my head saying "Fake- no animals suffered to make this" before I'd feel comfortable.

I always used to think "Go for it - imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Because animals are beautiful. But now I have a feeling that it would be imitating the slaughtered-animal-made-into-fashion thing. Dunno.

is 'Faux' pronounced Foe? Or Fawks or Fox??
spud is offline  
#27 Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 AM
Banned
 
porvida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,550
it's pronounced "foe." it's french for fake.
porvida is offline  
#28 Old 11-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
I don't have a problem witih faux fur, but I would never wear it. I think it's really tacky looking. So I'm a bit annoyed with the faux-fur craze I see going on in like every single store I shop at. All the clothes are ugly now. bah!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#29 Old 11-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SquarePeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,712
My mom has a couple of faux fur coats that were quite expensive and look remarkably realistic.



They're pretty. But they're fake.



I'd wear one. With the lapel pin that PeTA sells that says "Faux/not fur".



I don't have a problem with the idea of faux fur. Especially if, when people compliment or comment on your fur you make a point to tell them that it is faux!

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
SquarePeg is offline  
#30 Old 11-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cymbeline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 610
After all this super discussion, I still can't decide. Peace makes some very interesting points - I'm not sure faux fur mania could worm it's way into consumers wanting real thing, esp. as now days people are more enlightened. BUT, I could be wrong!



Duckthat wasn't -- Wow, I hasn't realized fur was up in popularity anywhere but Russian. I'm glad you brought that out.



Other issue: as someone said they are now all over the stores; well, I hadn't realized that.Chain store overkill makes me not want to keep the one I bought last week. I've not taken the price tags off and have the receipt.



This coat is reversible to a raincoat and I thought it would be perfect for a week long solo trip I'm taking to Paris in Feb. I guess fashion is so global now, faux fur is very big over there, too (so I've heard).



I wish I could take the clear stand almost to a person all here have. I have to think about it some more! I don't know what sort of fur this jacket is mimicking: it's black. When you reverse it, it is synthetic rainproof with fur trip collar and cuff. I do have to say, it looks "remarkable unrealistic" - not like MrsKey's mom's coats.



Something in me deep down says, yes, it does honor the tradition of animals trapped for fur. Yet, still, I'm not clear about that as it is FAUX.
cymbeline is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off