VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Women's Health Issues (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33-women-s-health-issues/)
-   -   Effect on Period: Switching from Vegan to Vegetarian (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/33-women-s-health-issues/225474-effect-period-switching-vegan-vegetarian.html)

Lauren52 06-21-2017 07:25 PM

Effect on Period: Switching from Vegan to Vegetarian

Hi all! A few months ago I transitioned from being vegan to vegetarian. Since I started eating a vegetarian diet I noticed my periods became more irregular in terms of cycle length, and I have been experiencing cramping before my period which has never happened to me before. This easily could be nothing, or another medical issue but I was just wondering if anyone else switched from vegan to vegetarian and noticed any period irregularities.

Thanks in advance!!!

BlueMts 06-23-2017 12:08 AM

Hi :)

Can I ask how old you are ? I've never heard of this happening. Could be natural body adjustment but if it continues I would recommend you see your doctor about it

saralguinn 06-27-2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren52 (Post 4095554)
Hi all! A few months ago I transitioned from being vegan to vegetarian. Since I started eating a vegetarian diet I noticed my periods became more irregular in terms of cycle length, and I have been experiencing cramping before my period which has never happened to me before. This easily could be nothing, or another medical issue but I was just wondering if anyone else switched from vegan to vegetarian and noticed any period irregularities.

Thanks in advance!!!

I was a non-veg. i turned vegan last year. I experienced similar issues with my period. But it normalised eventually. Drink a lot of water. Stay healthy :)

Beets&Beats 07-06-2017 01:47 AM

Mmm, whilst I know many vegans with regular cycles, most people I know who went from vegan to veg wound up with 'better' cycles (easier protein, less soy which makes some people feel worse and some better, calcium etc.) so I'm surprised you've found the reverse!
If you've started eating eggs, I know they're high in arachidonic (?) acid or whatever it is (not as high as chicken though! That was the highest by far) which has several positive uses but some studies showed that increased menstrual pain.
If your period is heavier now, that will also be more painful (and mine are heavier as a veg than a vegan, but the scant vegan flow was not a good thing for me).
Are you eating low-fat dairy? A friend of mine was doing some work around fertility and said that low-fat dairy in high amounts reduced ovulation (which can manifest as long cycles that are actually anovulatory).
Has your weight changed? That also impacts it!
Many possibilities! I know too much about this because I had menstrual issues for years (and now don't, hurrah!).
Could just be a settling time, too. Diet changes always make things like periods go crazy. It may just take time!