why does my urinary tract hate me? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

okay, so a few days ago i came down with a uti, which is no fun. i got antibiotics, but i got nauseous with the second pill and i think i "lost" it... ahem. anyway i continued taking them and now it's several hours after my last dose and my symptoms are still present.

last time i had one, the pills cleared it up right quick. so i'm not sure what to do. do i get more antibiotics, or just see what happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2004, 09:35 AM

Are you holding your pee?? Or wiping from back to front instead of front to back?? Those are the two biggest contributors to UTI's. Try to drink plenty of fluids to flush out the infection. As far as I know, a UTI won't go away by itself and can cause more serious complications if not attended to (kindney infection and possible permanent damage being one).
#3 Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely finish taking all of your antibiotics if you have any left. If you still have symptoms, call your doc. Also, make sure you drink lots of water and/or cranberry juice to speed things up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

The pills should clear it up before you finish them and if they don't go to the Dr on the last day. Keep taking them and drink at least 2 liters of water a day. You also need to be taking an acidophilus supplement at the same time which you should continue taking for a while after you finish the antibiotics, and try not to have too much sugar.

Also, if you get any kind of pain in your lower back, go to the Dr immediately. UTIs aren't a joke if they get to your kidneys. I had the worst one ever last month, I though I was having kidney stones!

oh and eat some potatoes, aparently carbs ease the load on your kidneys.

get well soon!
#5 Old 09-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular

the really frustrating thing is i do everything to prevent them, but i still get them!!! i follow all the rules... sigh.

oh well. can't get to the doctor today. if i'm not feeling better tomorrow i'll go.
#6 Old 09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you take bubble baths? I know a lot of folks who get them from bubble baths.
#7 Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I got mine from drinking 2 beers one night after I'd cut out sugar and yeast for a month, and was taking a detox herb that's a natural antibiotic. I was so clean I gave free reign to the yeast I guess. It was a humbling experience because I was so proud of being all detoxed!

I switched probiotics from a regular acidophilus to a more expensive brand that had three strains, and I think this one's working. The bladder infection seems to be completely cured. I'm no longer drinking beer though!!
#8 Old 09-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

btw, I just read your post in another thread DA, and it sounds like you're on the Pill? I used to get yeast infections ALL the time on the pill (someone correct me if I'm wrong in thinking UTIs can be caused by yeast too?) - I definitely recommend taking a good probiotic, and maybe if they're recurring, doing a candida cleanse. I think that could help.
#9 Old 09-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I think sometimes the antibiotics they put you on for uti's can cause yeast infections, but i didn't know it worked the other way around. i'll ask my doctor about that tomorrow.
#10 Old 09-20-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard drinking cranberry juice is great for controlling UTIs.
#11 Old 09-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

I think sometimes the antibiotics they put you on for uti's can cause yeast infections, but i didn't know it worked the other way around. i'll ask my doctor about that tomorrow.

I have heard the same thing.
#12 Old 09-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky73 View Post

I have heard the same thing.

It's because the antibiotic strips you of all bacteria, most of which is actually good and protects you from things like yeast infections. That's why you really need to take a probiotic at the same time and after the antibiotic - otherwise it's just a free-for-all in there, and with the kinds of things we eat (like bread) the yeast is going to win.
#13 Old 09-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to get these ALLLLLL the time

I actually thought I might be getting one last night but I feel fine today

I was having the same problem cycles, GET UTI-TAKE ANTIBIOTICS-GET YEAST INFECTION

I finally got so sick of getting the UTI I cut out drinking pretty much anything except water and cran juice and I even go and buy the super duper pure cran juice that tastes absolutly nasty and I force myself to drink some at least three times a week

It seems to have helped because I haven't had a bad one in at least a year now
#14 Old 09-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverC View Post

I've heard drinking cranberry juice is great for controlling UTIs.

Cranberry Juice is only effective when used as a way to prevent UTI's. I believe it's 8oz a day for two months before your body can effectively prevent them. Drinking cranberry juice during a UTI will not clear one up.
#15 Old 09-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

where can you buy the really pure cranberry juice? everything i see has sweeteners and other juices added.
#16 Old 09-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

okay, so a few days ago i came down with a uti, which is no fun. i got antibiotics, but i got nauseous with the second pill and i think i "lost" it... ahem. anyway i continued taking them and now it's several hours after my last dose and my symptoms are still present.

last time i had one, the pills cleared it up right quick. so i'm not sure what to do. do i get more antibiotics, or just see what happens?

Did they do a urine culture? You should have a culture for ID and sensitivity (identify the bug and make sure that it's sensitive to the antibiotic that you're taking). You might need a different antibiotic. Even if the bugs have been sensitive in they past, they may now be resistant, especially if you have a history of recurrent UTIs and have taken the same antibiotic multiple times. Hope you feel better soon.
#17 Old 09-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Beginner

Antibiotics in general cause yeast infections :-( it's sad but true...

ALSO--if you can't get pure cranberry juice, get concentrated cranberry pills (they're at your pharmacy.) I take two pills after every time i have sex and it really helps me prevent them, because it flushed out anything that may be in the tract. Hope this helps...
#18 Old 09-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=JulieShul]Antibiotics in general cause yeast infections :-( it's sad but true...QUOTE]

However, sometimes they are necessary for UTIs to prevent more serious complications such as pyelonephritis.
#19 Old 09-20-2004, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

cranberry pills? dude! sweet!

(i need to watch dude where's my car)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page